Indivision AGA MK3 for A1200

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I am happy to hear that a new version of Indivision AGA MK3 for A1200 is coming out.

But I have some questions about the new MK3.

I have my A1200 in a tower together with a SUM USB keyboard module. This module also sits on the CIA-chip.

1. Does the MK3 also work without the module for the CIA chip?
    2. If it works, are there limitations in the operation if I do not use this module?
    3. Will there be an option to order the MK3 even without this module?

grt,

Alexander Bruinenberg

• Hello,

I will be preorderining this today, but I have a question, in MK2 I have cable from PCB to HDMI directly. So there is no need to use DVI-HDMI adapter. Is MK2 and MK3 digital video pinout same?

Thankbyou

• Does the MK3 also work without the module for the CIA chip?

It does, but you won't have the "live configuration" feature, and you also won't have a feature that isn't even ennounced yet (not yet fully developed).

If it works, are there limitations in the operation if I do not use this module?

The two mentioned features would not be available. I therefore suggest to use Lyra and Micromys as mouse and keyboard adapters.

Will there be an option to order the MK3 even without this module?

No - the product consists of three boards and two cables. Removing the smallest of them might save 1,- EUR, but cause extra administration work of several EUR, so you'd end up paying more if we remove it.

• Is MK2 and MK3 digital video pinout same?

No, the pinout is different, and the connector has two more pins for carrying the extra signals that allow us to read the monitor ID (EDID data block). I'll add a picture of the digital/analogue output board shortly (give me an hour). It's not DVI any more, but I'm also not allowed to use the 4-letter common name, as I decided not to pay the license fees for the name.

• The two mentioned features would not be available. I therefore suggest to use Lyra and Micromys as mouse and keyboard adapters.

This is a strange suggestion.

The Lyra keyboard adapter also uses the CIA (U7).

So for the A1200 in a tower, there is no alternative to a keyboard.

• Can I ask if its feasible to use this with a Ratte Monitor Switch or Matze Graphics card which use the smaller 10 pin adapter used by the origin Indi ECS. I understand this has more pins but is it an option to have a cable adapted.. and better still could you make them available :) ?

• I have no plans to make cables for homebrew hardware, but I can certainly make the pinout available. However, you should adapt the cable(s) and switch in order to have the EDID signals available. I believe that monitor recognition is an important part of Indivision AGA MK3's usability, and you should not remove that feature before you even have access to the hardware :-)

Further, I highly recommend to use the digital output. That means: If you have one of those old-style graphics cards (like the Matze card), you have analogue/VGA signals from that GFX card, and digital from Indivision AGA MK3. Most monitors have two inputs these days, so switching is easily done with the "source" button on the monitor. No need for an extra switch.

• Not correct - it plugs over the keyboard chip (where a keyboard adapter belongs!).

I now see where I am wrong.

The SUM uses U7, like the MK3, and the Lyra uses U13.

Then it is clear to me now, I will use my old Lyra 2 again:)

And i'm also going to preorder the MK3 :thumbup:

• i already removed my RF connection to make room for the indivision MK2 connector. This because i also have a rapidroad installed and the USB connectors are in place of the free expantion place on the back..

Can you tell me if the HDMI connection fit in place of the RF modulator?

From the pictures my gues is yes. I realy dont want to make extra holes in my mint condition case ;)

• I could use an Icybox (HDMI to VGA) and then connect VGA to the Ratte Monitor.

Now that's really a detour, as Indivision AGA MK3 has a VGA output with excellent 10-bit DACs. My idea was to get rid of extra hardware alltogether, and use the two monitor inputs for two different sources (GFX card and Flicker fixer).

That Lindy product is also completely unrelated - it may emulate EDID signals, but that's not what you want. Instead, you want the exact EDID data from the monitor to be available to the computer, so the config tool knows exactly what type of monitor you have connected. This lets it make suggestions for the best output modes, so you don't need to fiddle with the details. The monitor and the config tool talk to each other and figure out details that you probably don't even want to know about :-)

I think the convenience of autoswitching is very important.

...but requires a reliable source of a switch-signal. In my opinion, the most reliable source is the user, as a gfx card may output a perfect picture even while a game is running. Further, when mixing digital and analogue outputs, a switch would also have to offer conversion between one or the other. We've had this topic a number of times since 2012 when I introduced digital output to the workd of Amiga flicker fixers.

• The SUM uses U7, like the MK3, and the Lyra uses U13.

Then it is clear to me now, I will use my old Lyra 2 again

Good choice :-) On another note, the hot key combination is "multiple keys pressed at the same time". I know of an Elbox product that does not support pressing more than one key at a time, so that won't work. Does SUM support n-key rollover?

• It should - it's a good deal smaller than a DVI-I connector.

Nice! The cable is now 'hanging out', afcource with a proper protection to avoid damage on the metal shield and other things.

Just waiting for the PSU to be in the store to make my total order (or can i add this later).

• or can i add this later

Yes, registered/logged-in users can always add to their orders while they are not yet "processing". You place a new order, and during the checkout process, you're automatically offered "combined shipping", which is free. Try this with any other online store :-)

• Does superplus 800x600 work this time around?

The new MK3 version has inherited the screenmode recognition from Indivision ECS V2, where you can enter a range of "number of lines" and other criteria for screenmode recognition. So it's not that static any more as it used to be with the MK2.

I believe that the problem of Superplus was that the MK2 version confused it with PAL screens, right?

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.