Buddha 20th Edition.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I also recently fiddled quite a long night to get an optical drive (multinorm PATA DVD burner) working as single/master device on either of the two Buddha 20th Ed. ports.

The drive worked well in any other PC.

My intention was to dump the E****x 4xEIDE device onboard my A1200 IDE port which actually did a pretty reliable job the last 10+ years, but the driver conflicts with some other non E****x drivers. E.g. USB driver for Subway.

My Buddha in a [Fast] Z4 socket could handle and recognize the optical drive as long as a HDD was master or slave to the drive.

But when keeping the optical drive as single drive without a HDD connected it simply went lost not being recognized anymore by FindDevice or HDToolbox [47.10/OS3.2]. Updating the controller with the latest Buddha installer v1.4 DOM also didn't help. No matter which connection or jumper combination I tried, the optical drive would not be recognized unless another HDD was attached. The worst scenario was a long boot delay but still no drive recognition after boot.

Keeping another ATA HDD wasn't my plan. So again my favored driverless red D****k (61635) IDE<->SATA converter rescued my behind. I posted some about it here "https://forum.icomp.de/index.php?thread/2286-20-year-anniversary-buddha/&postID=30176&highlight=sata#post30176"

It gets Buddha to recognize any device attached to it on any port and this combination works ok for me.

With these converters I could setup all drives as planned. SATA SSD in one port as main drive, another converter with a SATA multinorm burner for the second port. All boots and works well this way. I have CacheCDFS configured as SCSI direct, No Changeint, quiet, multi session.

As I now have several drive options there's no need for any slave drives attached. One thing to mention, at least on my setup the optical drive should remain empty until system initialization has finished and booting is in progress otherwise booting won't start or maybe with extreme long delay.

Not to mention burning with MakeCD works flawless.

I bought the CF interface and swapped the 8GB CF card from the previous Buddha use [another D****k adapter 91620 that worked well] to the now free onboard IDE port.

Now the system performs quiet and smooth. In case I want more retro accoustics I can spin-up my remaining SCSI-II HDDs.

Maybe someone can win inspiration out of my solution.

• But when keeping the optical drive as single drive without a HDD connected it simply went lost not being recognized anymore by FindDevice or HDToolbox [47.10/OS3.2].

This sounds like the typical optical drive problem: It was developed for PCs, where it would always be "slave to the boot-HD", and it wouldn't even be tested as a standalone device on a dedicated port.

One thing you could try it to just keep it jumpered as slave, without any master at all. Only the unit number will be different, but it may work better (or "at all" in your case).

Jens