ACA500 (non +) doesn't work

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I have an ACA500 (it is not ACA500+) and unfortunately I have attached it backward to my Amiga. Since then it can produce only black screen.

I found one of your earlier comments that in this case mostly U3 and U10 destroy.

I changed these chips but it is not working.

I can get every chip instead of programmed Xilinx XC9572.

What do you think it is possible that this xilinx destroyed, too? Can I buy a programmed Xilinx XC9572 chip?

• Please try to remove the flash-chip and launch the card in de-brick mode (jumper set). It is possible that the flash chip either lost it's data or was destroyed in the process.

And yes, it's of course also possible that the Xilinx chip was damaged. We can't sell these chips "programmed", as they are only programmed in-circuit, so the procedure would be "solder on, program, de-solder, ship" - since the de-soldering and re-soldering on your side have a certain risk to them, I would not like to do that. Let's hope you're successful with the flash :-)

• Thank you for your answer. It is bad news.

I have tested the Flash chip. It is Ok.

I try to replace all chip (instead of Xilinx). There is any chip that possibly didn't destroy? I would like to replace the ICs in order of destroy chance.

• The only chips that are exposed to -12V are the two that you have already exchanged. Now the interesting par tis: What's the chips you have replaced them with? One of the two chips does not have the usual marking, so you might just have the wrong type.

• I replaced U3 and U10 ICs based on your earlier post in a similar topic.

" ...

U3 is a 74LS245. The narrow package is hard to find, but you can replace it with a wide package, bending the pins inwards.

U10 is a 74HCT573, but can also be replaced with a 74HC573. Package is standard SO20. The original chip on the card has an odd writing on it - just ignore that.

..."

• OK, just wanted to make sure that you have that info.

The next step would be measuring a few signals that come out of the CPLD to see if that does anything - for example the CPU clock, which should always run at 14MHz.

Also, you might want to take a close look into the connector, as it might have bent pins.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.