Posts by mateusz_s

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

I managed to get rid of tearing effect..

I had problems and bugs with allocationg proper bitmap in screenbuffer and also the bitmap adress had to be locked, this is a bit dirty code

not yet cleaned up, just tested.

I am using here triple buffering, using double buffering wasn't enough, the key system function here is ChangeScreenBuffer();

also we must lock bitmap to get its adress using for example p96LockBitMap or LockBitMapTags.

example for triple buffering in 320x200x32 mode

(PART 3)

SETTING NO 4.

(1280x1024 @ 60Hz, enlarged) - for monitors> = 60Hz

PROS: it works, the game image is now larger, without distortion - it takes up the entire vertical area of the monitor

(if the game uses overscan, e.g. SuperFrog, AB: Tower Assault) a few pixels from above or from the bottom will be cut,

CONS: noticeable stepwise movement on scrolls. The dynamic game in HiresLaced does not tug so much anymore,

because Double Buffer is turned off.

COMMENT: Since there is almost no difference between having Double Buffer on and off, you can turn it off.

The dynamic game in HiresLaced does not tug like that anymore.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

- Indivision AGA MK3 application launched

- Select the last item on the list, ie "Pre 800x600 PAL" (this preset is fired during games)

- Click "Copy". We change the name eg to "My Games Preset". IMPORTANT use "DOWN" to move just above "Pre 800x600 PAL",

because the order matters in the list. "Pre 800x600 PAL" can be turned off if necessary (it is then in parentheses), but you don't have to.

Instead of copying "Pre 800x600 PAL" you can also edit it directly. So how convenient for us.

- Then click on "<" next to "VGA Mode"

- Select a ready preset from the list, eg "Pre 1280x1024 60Hz VESA"

- We cannot edit it, so click "Copy", you can change the name to, for example, "My 1280x1024 60Hz"

- Click "ACCEPT"

- Click "Test / Adjust" and set the screen: Left 480, Top 20, Width 640, Height 512.

Additionally, you can add a scanline effect, eg Darken 25%, or you can set OSDSec to 0 so that the Indivision overlay does not appear on the screen.

- Click "Advanced" - select Double Buffer and accept

- Finally, click "Save & Apply" and it's ready.

- ... or load my READY config "my_1280x1024x60hz.conf" using "OPEN" from the menu and click "Save & Apply",

or immediately with a command / script etc. "Indivisionagamk3 SAVEAPPLY filename" (see point 2.)

SETTING NO.5.

(800x600 Auto + VSync, not enlarged) - for monitors ???

PROS: This setting is interesting, also gives a super smooth scroll like Setting 1

CONS: the aspect ratio of the image is a bit distorted (the image is a bit thinner). Depends on the monitor

there may be a pause when switching Lowres / HiresLaced (as in SlamTilt multiball).

Jumping when moving quickly in HiresLaced is less because there is no Double Buffer enabled.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

- Select the last item on the list, ie "Pre 800x600 PAL" (this preset is fired during games)

- Click "Copy". We change the name eg to "My Games Preset". IMPORTANT use "DOWN" to move just above "Pre 800x600 PAL",

because the order matters in the list. "Pre 800x600 PAL" can be turned off if necessary (it is then in parentheses), but you don't have to.

Instead of copying "Pre 800x600 PAL" you can also edit it directly. So how convenient for us.

- From the list, select a ready preset "Pre 800x600 Auto + VSync"

- Click "Test / Adjust". The screen will probably go blank - press the "r" key. The screen should appear. We give OK.

- Click "ACCEPT"

- We can click "Test / Adjust" to, for example, lower the whole or add a scanline effect, eg Darken 25%, additionally, you can set OSDSec to 0 so that the Indivision overlay does not appear on the screen.

- ... or load my READY config "my_800x600xautoxvsync.conf" using "OPEN" from the menu and click "Save & Apply",

or immediately with a command / script etc. "Indivisionagamk3 SAVEAPPLY filename" (see point 2.)

SETTING NO.6.

(800x600 @ 72Hz) - DEFAULT - for monitors ???

PROS: Works

CONS: noticeable stepwise movement on scrolls. By default, Double Buffer is not enabled here,

so there is no such jerking when playing dynamic HiresLaced.

COMMENT: This setting is enabled by default. So the first time you use or

after clicking "Reset To Defaults". Interestingly, it is 72Hz, but it works on ordinary 60Hz monitors,

I do not know why - maybe because of the lower resolution, i.e. 800x600 and therefore the monitor

gives advice.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

- default setting, e.g. "Reset To Defaults" and "Save & Apply"

PLEASE NOTE!

If the monitor does not refresh at 100Hz, do not load it 100Hz configuration, so as not to damage it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD LINK:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ready config files pack link:

https://mstanisz.website.pl/tmp/amiga/IndivisionMK3_conf.zip

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

(PART 2)

-----------------------------

Some settings I tested:

-----------------------------

SETTING NO.1.

(800x600 @ 100Hz, not enlarged) - for monitors> = 100Hz

This is my CURRENT setting, which I consider as "ALMOST PERFECT" for now :)

For it to work, you need a monitor that supports 100Hz, I use a HP 22 "144Hz.

PROS: super smooth in Lowres, proportions preserved, static HiresLaced images are OK.

CONS: the dynamic game of HiresLaced (SlamTilt) causes mega convulsions (but you can live for short moments)

the reason is the inclusion of Double Buffer.

COMMENT: You can turn off Double Buffer to get rid of mega-seizures while scrolling

in HiresLaced modes, but then Screen Tearing will be visible in the center of the screen,

which can be annoying.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

because the order matters in the list. Optionally, "Pre 800x600 PAL" can be turned off (it is in parentheses then), but you don't have to.

- From the list we choose a ready preset "Pre 800x600 100Hz VSync"

- We cannot edit it, so click "Copy", you can change the name to, for example, "My 800x600 100Hz"

- Deselect the "VSync" box - click "ACCEPT"

- We can click "Test / Adjust" to, for example, lower the whole or add a scanline effect, eg Darken 25%, additionally you can set OSDSec to 0

so that we do not see the Indivision overlay on the screen.

- ... or load my READY config "my_800x600x100hz.conf" using "OPEN" from the menu and click "Save & Apply",

or right away with the command / script etc. "Indivisionagamk3 SAVEAPPLY filename" (see point 2.)

SETTING NO.2.

(1280x1024 @ 85Hz, enlarged) - for monitors> = 85Hz

PROS: The game image is now larger, without distortion - it takes up the entire vertical area of the monitor

(if the game uses overscan, e.g. SuperFrog, AB: Tower Assault) a few pixels from above or from the bottom will be cut,

refreshing 85Hz + Double Buffer gives very good fluidity (but not super-fluidity)

CONS: despite very high fluidity, it is not perfect, which can be seen in scrolls, slight step motion.

As before, the dynamic game in HiresLaced (SlamTilt) causes mega convulsions (but you can live for short moments)

COMMENT: As I mentioned in point 3. The Indivision MK3 has a 165Mhz clock.

To get a 1280x1024 image at 100Hz, you would need a 185Mhz clock for that .. so it's a bit missing.

Similar to Setting 1, you can try turning off Double Buffer, it will be smoother

but Screen Tearing will appear from time to time.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

- Select a ready preset from the list, eg "Pre 1280x1024 60Hz VESA"

- We cannot edit it, so click "Copy", you can change the name, for example, to "My 1280x1024 85Hz"

- Using the aforementioned VGA MODE calculator, enter 1280,1024 and 85Hz into it and rewrite the generated values

in the appropriate windows, i.e .:

Pixel clock: 159500000,

Horizontal Timing - FPorch: 96, SyncLen: 136, BPorch: 232

Vertical Timing - FPorch: 3, SyncLen: 7, BPorch: 44

- Click "ACCEPT"

- Click "Test / Adjust", and set the screen: Left 480, Top 20, Width 640, Height 512.

- Additionally, you can set H and VFilter, Darken, for example, to 25% and OSDSec to 0, so that the Indivision overlay does not appear on the screen.

- ... or load my READY config "my_1280x1024x85hz.conf" using "OPEN" from the menu and click "Save & Apply",

SETTING NO.3.

(800x600 @ 75Hz, not enlarged) - for monitors> = 75Hz

PROS: if we have a monitor that supports up to 75Hz, we can get a little more fluidity.

CONS: Maybe slight stepped movement on scrolls.

The dynamic game of HiresLaced (SlamTilt) causes mega convulsions (but you can live for short moments)

COMMENT: It is possible that the monitor will lose image when set to 75Hz, then you can recalculate

VGA Mode parameters for e.g. 74Hz. Similar to Setting 1, you can try turning off Double Buffer, it will be smoother

but Screen Tearing will appear from time to time.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

- Select a ready preset from the list, eg "Pre 800x600 72Hz VESA"

- We cannot edit it, so click "Copy", you can change the name to, for example, "My 800x600 75Hz"

- Using the aforementioned VGA MODE calculator, enter 1280,1024 and 85Hz into it and rewrite the generated values

in the appropriate windows, i.e .:

Pixel clock: 49000000,

Horizontal Timing - FPorch: 40, SyncLen: 80, BPorch: 120

Vertical Timing - FPorch: 3, SyncLen: 4, BPorch: 22

- Click "ACCEPT"

- Click "Test / Adjust", and set the screen: Left 480, Top 20, Width 640, Height 512.

- Additionally, you can set H and VFilter, Darken, for example, to 25% and OSDSec to 0, so that the Indivision overlay does not appear on the screen.

- ... or load my READY config "my_800x600x75hz.conf" using "OPEN" from the menu and click "Save & Apply",

Hi,

I would like to share with you this config files and manual how to make it yourself..

--------------------------------

A few basic informations

--------------------------------

I am using Indivision AGA MK3 (firmware 1.9) on an Amiga 1200.

The current firmware and settings application can be downloaded here: http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK3/doc

Also in this link is an application to change the settings of our Indivision. There are also files here with which you can make a help-disk,

if something goes wrong and there is no picture.

By the way: I asked the gentlemens from icomp.de to update the Indivision settings program.

Since the program gives us the ability to save our configuration to a file, I wanted it to be possible

loading the configuration with one command without any additional actions. So that if a game would require some specific

settings, you can give the command right before starting the game or attach it to an icon or the Tool Menu.

The gentlemen were kind enough to do such an update, at the moment it is available unofficially on the icompu forum in version 1.9.1:

[Indivision MK3] Can I load and apply config file without launching the MK3 application? post18696

But this is only for those willing, such as Someone needs, I think that thanks to this the flexibility of this application has increased a bit.

Indivision MK3 has a clock of max. 165 Mhz (HDMI 1.0-1.2a standard)

Which means, for example, that it can easily display an 800x600 image at 100 Hz

but in 1280x1024 at 100 Hz it can't be done anymore .. what for? about this later in the examples ..

I used this VGA calculator to calculate "those strange values" for VGA modes: https://tomverbeure.github.io/video_timings_calculator

We give here the separation we want and refreshing. Then we read the necessary values from the CTV column.

If we want to get more out of our monitor, i.e. use its maximum refresh rate or open the resolution,

which are not on the predefined Indivision list, that's when we use such a calculator to have these additional values.

When we have the Indivision application running and we messed up something, we can always select

"Reset To Defaults" from the menu, and then "Save & Apply".

If you have any previous settings you don't want to lose, you can save them to a file with the option from the Menu.

THE TESTS.

99% of the games run in Lowres mode. Games that work e.g. in HiresLaced are rare.

For testing, I mainly use the SlamTilt game because it has a very fast and smooth vertical scrolling / flickering

and during the game (multiball) using HELP / DEL you can switch to Lowres / HiresLaced mode.

The Banshee game starts with a HiresLaced image and then scroling / flickering. LethalWeapon levels scroling / flicker.

Pay attention to what mode you have turned on in the monitor. Turn on 4: 3 (or similar) as you set 16: 9,

the game screen will be streched.

Everyone has their own preferences. For obvious reasons, there is no need to go crazy with the size of the monitor or enlarge the game by force,

I finally stayed without zooming on the aforementioned 22 "monitor and use the scanlines effect (Darken).

Well, one person will notice the fluidity or illiquidity of the image, and the other will be indebted to it ...

So everyone sets up for themselves anyway ...

Hi,

When running native amiga games from Aga thru Indivision_AGA_MK3 I set PAL screen settings to 100hz, I have smooth game play without tearing effect.

Is this possible while coding output thru RTG? In my fps game when iam strafing fast facing walls I got about 50-70 fps using v1200 output. And see about 3 tearing lines in when my p96 settings for 320x200 are 100hz. I made a test. I put WaitTOF() in my loop and right after that I switched bitmaps using ChangeVPBitmap like in double buffering. So the game was reacting to WaitTOF because it slowed down a bit.

The tearing lines were still there, when I change 320x200 mode to 60hz I had one tearing line.

So is it possible to sync somehow?

WOW - Thank You Timm

I will test it and let You know!

Jens  Timm

Hello again, I tested your update - works GREAT! Thank you very much. Its now more flexible.

The different settings can be loaded by cllicking on script in icon or in tool menu, or just be applied just before the game run.

ps.

By the way, I noticed that when some configujration file is loaded an applied for the first time the screen goes blank for a while.

When this configuration file is loaded again later, the screen doesn't go blank..

No, this is currently not available. The idea was that you have multiple configurations applying to the same Amiga mode in your main configuration, and switch them manually using the live config.

The flashtool is not suitable here either, as it lacks the infrastructure to trigger a configuration.

Thanks for answer, I hope it will be possible maybe in some future update..

Please upload the config in question, then Timm can have a look at that on Monday when he's back in the office. If I remember right, the config tool is treating the interlace modes of a certain standard equal to the non-interlace modes, so you may need to find different selection criteria.

If you had the MK2/MK2cr version before, this was different: The interlace modes were treated like separate screen modes, but this caused the monitor to drop out for a short time when the new mode settings were automatically applied. This was especially annoying if you drag a non-laced screen down, and an interlaced screen is visible in the background: The whole screen will then interlace, and the older MK2/MK2cr flicker fixers will apply a new output mode, possibly causing the monitor to show a black screen for several seconds until it has re-synced.

Hi again,

I wanted to test that issue on different 144hz monitor. This time I used HP 22" 144hz.

I am not uploading the config because this config exists in the default settings (reset to defaults).

The preset name is "Pre 800x600 PAL", but for the VGA mode I selected this preset: "Pre 800x600 @100 VSync" (double buffer off)

So the result is that when HiresLaced mode is present the monitor is going black.

Also in the standard noninterlaced modes I noticed the screen moves like up/down every half second.

Anyway, when I turn off the VSync - everything is OK. All modes are visible. Ofcourse there is a tearing effect. So I am using Double Buffer option

to get rid of that. The one disadvantage of this solution is - in interlaced mode when the screen is moving fast (like in the SlamTile multiball mode) the screen is tearing very badly.

Please do, as this will render a thread like this unnecessary.

Hi again,

So I tested like this:

Code
    1. IndivisionAGAMK3 CONFIGFILE my_config.conf

The result was that the Indivisinon prefs application opened with loaded config. Thats what I expected.

I had to click buttons to accept this.

My question was, would it be possible to apply the config file without opening the application and confirm the changes.

I would like to make a script that could be run as icon in WB, after double click lets say icon named my_config_1, the my_config_1 would be applied

and alive just like this - without additinal confirm..

Hello,

I made some tests with 144 hz monitor. I tried the Pre 800x600 @100 VSync preset + double duffer and

it works great and smooth. But it didn't work with Hires-Laced..

I tried to make a preset that would run at Hires Laced only (I placed it above the previous) but Indivision didn't use that.

So is there any trick to have that Pre 800x600 @100 VSync and be able to use Hires Laced?

Thank You in advance..

edit:

- I turned off the VSync option - so the Hires Laced now is displayed - I think this is the golden-middle,

Hi,

I tried the 1280x1024 VSync+autores preset and it works very smooth.

Unfortunately its immpossible to scale the image.

I noticed a 800x600 100hz preset.

Again unfortunately with this resolutinon I can't scale image without distortions.

I will be making some tests with 144hz monitor,

is it possible to get 1280x1024 in 100hz?

I did some calculation in the VGA calculator, and the Indivision pixel clock was a bit not enough..

I wanted to ask - is it possible to maybe fine tune that settings so it is possible to get 1280x1024 in 100hz?

Is it a matter of firmware or the hardware capabilities?

I didn't like the 50hz result - my eyes were hurting :)