[Indivision MK3] My game settings - for 60, 75, 144hz monitors - ready config files and manual how to make it yourself...

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I would like to share with you this config files and manual how to make it yourself..

--------------------------------

A few basic informations

--------------------------------

I am using Indivision AGA MK3 (firmware 1.9) on an Amiga 1200.

The current firmware and settings application can be downloaded here: http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK3/doc

Also in this link is an application to change the settings of our Indivision. There are also files here with which you can make a help-disk,

if something goes wrong and there is no picture.

By the way: I asked the gentlemens from icomp.de to update the Indivision settings program.

Since the program gives us the ability to save our configuration to a file, I wanted it to be possible

loading the configuration with one command without any additional actions. So that if a game would require some specific

settings, you can give the command right before starting the game or attach it to an icon or the Tool Menu.

The gentlemen were kind enough to do such an update, at the moment it is available unofficially on the icompu forum in version 1.9.1:

[Indivision MK3] Can I load and apply config file without launching the MK3 application? post18696

But this is only for those willing, such as Someone needs, I think that thanks to this the flexibility of this application has increased a bit.

Indivision MK3 has a clock of max. 165 Mhz (HDMI 1.0-1.2a standard)

Which means, for example, that it can easily display an 800x600 image at 100 Hz

but in 1280x1024 at 100 Hz it can't be done anymore .. what for? about this later in the examples ..

I used this VGA calculator to calculate "those strange values" for VGA modes: https://tomverbeure.github.io/video_timings_calculator

We give here the separation we want and refreshing. Then we read the necessary values from the CTV column.

If we want to get more out of our monitor, i.e. use its maximum refresh rate or open the resolution,

which are not on the predefined Indivision list, that's when we use such a calculator to have these additional values.

When we have the Indivision application running and we messed up something, we can always select

"Reset To Defaults" from the menu, and then "Save & Apply".

If you have any previous settings you don't want to lose, you can save them to a file with the option from the Menu.

THE TESTS.

99% of the games run in Lowres mode. Games that work e.g. in HiresLaced are rare.

For testing, I mainly use the SlamTilt game because it has a very fast and smooth vertical scrolling / flickering

and during the game (multiball) using HELP / DEL you can switch to Lowres / HiresLaced mode.

The Banshee game starts with a HiresLaced image and then scroling / flickering. LethalWeapon levels scroling / flicker.

Pay attention to what mode you have turned on in the monitor. Turn on 4: 3 (or similar) as you set 16: 9,

the game screen will be streched.

Everyone has their own preferences. For obvious reasons, there is no need to go crazy with the size of the monitor or enlarge the game by force,

I finally stayed without zooming on the aforementioned 22 "monitor and use the scanlines effect (Darken).

Well, one person will notice the fluidity or illiquidity of the image, and the other will be indebted to it ...

So everyone sets up for themselves anyway ...

• (PART 2)

-----------------------------

Some settings I tested:

-----------------------------

SETTING NO.1.

(800x600 @ 100Hz, not enlarged) - for monitors> = 100Hz

This is my CURRENT setting, which I consider as "ALMOST PERFECT" for now :)

For it to work, you need a monitor that supports 100Hz, I use a HP 22 "144Hz.

PROS: super smooth in Lowres, proportions preserved, static HiresLaced images are OK.

CONS: the dynamic game of HiresLaced (SlamTilt) causes mega convulsions (but you can live for short moments)

the reason is the inclusion of Double Buffer.

COMMENT: You can turn off Double Buffer to get rid of mega-seizures while scrolling

in HiresLaced modes, but then Screen Tearing will be visible in the center of the screen,

which can be annoying.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

- Indivision AGA MK3 application launched

- Select the last item on the list, ie "Pre 800x600 PAL" (this preset is fired during games)

- Click "Copy". We change the name eg to "My Games Preset". IMPORTANT use "DOWN" to move just above "Pre 800x600 PAL",

because the order matters in the list. Optionally, "Pre 800x600 PAL" can be turned off (it is in parentheses then), but you don't have to.

Instead of copying "Pre 800x600 PAL" you can also edit it directly. So how convenient for us.

- Then click on "<" next to "VGA Mode"

- From the list we choose a ready preset "Pre 800x600 100Hz VSync"

- We cannot edit it, so click "Copy", you can change the name to, for example, "My 800x600 100Hz"

- Deselect the "VSync" box - click "ACCEPT"

- We can click "Test / Adjust" to, for example, lower the whole or add a scanline effect, eg Darken 25%, additionally you can set OSDSec to 0

so that we do not see the Indivision overlay on the screen.

- Click "Advanced" - select Double Buffer and accept

- Finally, click "Save & Apply" and it's ready.

- ... or load my READY config "my_800x600x100hz.conf" using "OPEN" from the menu and click "Save & Apply",

or right away with the command / script etc. "Indivisionagamk3 SAVEAPPLY filename" (see point 2.)

SETTING NO.2.

(1280x1024 @ 85Hz, enlarged) - for monitors> = 85Hz

PROS: The game image is now larger, without distortion - it takes up the entire vertical area of the monitor

(if the game uses overscan, e.g. SuperFrog, AB: Tower Assault) a few pixels from above or from the bottom will be cut,

refreshing 85Hz + Double Buffer gives very good fluidity (but not super-fluidity)

CONS: despite very high fluidity, it is not perfect, which can be seen in scrolls, slight step motion.

As before, the dynamic game in HiresLaced (SlamTilt) causes mega convulsions (but you can live for short moments)

COMMENT: As I mentioned in point 3. The Indivision MK3 has a 165Mhz clock.

To get a 1280x1024 image at 100Hz, you would need a 185Mhz clock for that .. so it's a bit missing.

Similar to Setting 1, you can try turning off Double Buffer, it will be smoother

but Screen Tearing will appear from time to time.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

- Select the last item on the list, ie "Pre 800x600 PAL" (this preset is fired during games)

- Click "Copy". We change the name eg to "My Games Preset". IMPORTANT use "DOWN" to move just above "Pre 800x600 PAL",

because the order matters in the list. "Pre 800x600 PAL" can be turned off if necessary (it is then in parentheses), but you don't have to.

Instead of copying "Pre 800x600 PAL" you can also edit it directly. So how convenient for us.

- Select a ready preset from the list, eg "Pre 1280x1024 60Hz VESA"

- We cannot edit it, so click "Copy", you can change the name, for example, to "My 1280x1024 85Hz"

- Using the aforementioned VGA MODE calculator, enter 1280,1024 and 85Hz into it and rewrite the generated values

in the appropriate windows, i.e .:

Pixel clock: 159500000,

Horizontal Timing - FPorch: 96, SyncLen: 136, BPorch: 232

Vertical Timing - FPorch: 3, SyncLen: 7, BPorch: 44

- Click "ACCEPT"

- Click "Test / Adjust", and set the screen: Left 480, Top 20, Width 640, Height 512.

- Additionally, you can set H and VFilter, Darken, for example, to 25% and OSDSec to 0, so that the Indivision overlay does not appear on the screen.

- ... or load my READY config "my_1280x1024x85hz.conf" using "OPEN" from the menu and click "Save & Apply",

or immediately with a command / script etc. "Indivisionagamk3 SAVEAPPLY filename" (see point 2.)

SETTING NO.3.

(800x600 @ 75Hz, not enlarged) - for monitors> = 75Hz

PROS: if we have a monitor that supports up to 75Hz, we can get a little more fluidity.

CONS: Maybe slight stepped movement on scrolls.

The dynamic game of HiresLaced (SlamTilt) causes mega convulsions (but you can live for short moments)

COMMENT: It is possible that the monitor will lose image when set to 75Hz, then you can recalculate

VGA Mode parameters for e.g. 74Hz. Similar to Setting 1, you can try turning off Double Buffer, it will be smoother

but Screen Tearing will appear from time to time.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

because the order matters in the list. "Pre 800x600 PAL" can be turned off if necessary (it is then in parentheses), but you don't have to.

- Select a ready preset from the list, eg "Pre 800x600 72Hz VESA"

- We cannot edit it, so click "Copy", you can change the name to, for example, "My 800x600 75Hz"

- Using the aforementioned VGA MODE calculator, enter 1280,1024 and 85Hz into it and rewrite the generated values

in the appropriate windows, i.e .:

Pixel clock: 49000000,

Horizontal Timing - FPorch: 40, SyncLen: 80, BPorch: 120

Vertical Timing - FPorch: 3, SyncLen: 4, BPorch: 22

- Click "ACCEPT"

- Click "Test / Adjust", and set the screen: Left 480, Top 20, Width 640, Height 512.

- Additionally, you can set H and VFilter, Darken, for example, to 25% and OSDSec to 0, so that the Indivision overlay does not appear on the screen.

- ... or load my READY config "my_800x600x75hz.conf" using "OPEN" from the menu and click "Save & Apply",

or immediately with a command / script etc. "Indivisionagamk3 SAVEAPPLY filename" (see point 2.)

• (PART 3)

SETTING NO 4.

(1280x1024 @ 60Hz, enlarged) - for monitors> = 60Hz

PROS: it works, the game image is now larger, without distortion - it takes up the entire vertical area of the monitor

(if the game uses overscan, e.g. SuperFrog, AB: Tower Assault) a few pixels from above or from the bottom will be cut,

CONS: noticeable stepwise movement on scrolls. The dynamic game in HiresLaced does not tug so much anymore,

because Double Buffer is turned off.

COMMENT: Since there is almost no difference between having Double Buffer on and off, you can turn it off.

The dynamic game in HiresLaced does not tug like that anymore.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

- Select a ready preset from the list, eg "Pre 1280x1024 60Hz VESA"

- We cannot edit it, so click "Copy", you can change the name to, for example, "My 1280x1024 60Hz"

- Click "ACCEPT"

- Click "Test / Adjust" and set the screen: Left 480, Top 20, Width 640, Height 512.

Additionally, you can add a scanline effect, eg Darken 25%, or you can set OSDSec to 0 so that the Indivision overlay does not appear on the screen.

- ... or load my READY config "my_1280x1024x60hz.conf" using "OPEN" from the menu and click "Save & Apply",

SETTING NO.5.

(800x600 Auto + VSync, not enlarged) - for monitors ???

PROS: This setting is interesting, also gives a super smooth scroll like Setting 1

CONS: the aspect ratio of the image is a bit distorted (the image is a bit thinner). Depends on the monitor

there may be a pause when switching Lowres / HiresLaced (as in SlamTilt multiball).

Jumping when moving quickly in HiresLaced is less because there is no Double Buffer enabled.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

- From the list, select a ready preset "Pre 800x600 Auto + VSync"

- Click "Test / Adjust". The screen will probably go blank - press the "r" key. The screen should appear. We give OK.

- Click "ACCEPT"

- We can click "Test / Adjust" to, for example, lower the whole or add a scanline effect, eg Darken 25%, additionally, you can set OSDSec to 0 so that the Indivision overlay does not appear on the screen.

- ... or load my READY config "my_800x600xautoxvsync.conf" using "OPEN" from the menu and click "Save & Apply",

SETTING NO.6.

(800x600 @ 72Hz) - DEFAULT - for monitors ???

PROS: Works

CONS: noticeable stepwise movement on scrolls. By default, Double Buffer is not enabled here,

so there is no such jerking when playing dynamic HiresLaced.

COMMENT: This setting is enabled by default. So the first time you use or

after clicking "Reset To Defaults". Interestingly, it is 72Hz, but it works on ordinary 60Hz monitors,

I do not know why - maybe because of the lower resolution, i.e. 800x600 and therefore the monitor

gives advice.

HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:

- default setting, e.g. "Reset To Defaults" and "Save & Apply"

PLEASE NOTE!

If the monitor does not refresh at 100Hz, do not load it 100Hz configuration, so as not to damage it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD LINK:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ready config files pack link:

https://mstanisz.website.pl/tmp/amiga/IndivisionMK3_conf.zip

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks! BTW, your warnings about high frequencies on monitors that do not support it are not that critical these days. Only old CRTs may have trouble, but I would not know how to break a digital circuit by giving it false timing. Worst that can happen is that it displays "mode not supported" :-)

• This is great, thanks so much!
    I'm limited to 800x600@75Hz due to what my monitor can handle, but I'm quite happy with the result actually.
    I think I prefer to have DoubleBuffer disabled though, as the scroll improves and tearing is barely noticeable.

Thanks again!

• Looking for a monitor that is capable of doing 800x600 @ 100Hz.

No luck so far. Usually capped at 60 or 75Hz.

Any guidance to share? If the monitor can pivot (Rotate 90 degrees) that would be great.

Thanks!

• Looking for a monitor that is capable of doing 800x600 @ 100Hz.

No luck so far. Usually capped at 60 or 75Hz.

Any guidance to share? If the monitor can pivot (Rotate 90 degrees) that would be great.

Thanks!

I am not sure you will find one of that, more luck with modern sizes..

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.