Buddha IDE Zorro II issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Dear all,

I have an issue with my Buddha IDE controller.

When trying to install my A2000 i have an cf card in an adapter connected directly onto the first IDE bus. Jumpers are all set corectly (it has worked).

When booting with floppy, running HDToolBox I can identify the CF Card. However the settings are not retained. After rebooting, all settings are gone.

THis is also the case with partitioning of the CF card.

I can adjust the partition size. I can save the settings withing HD Toolbox, but after that nothing happens. I get no message to reboot. Drives do not appear and after a reboot nothing I have configured is visible.

Further more. When I attach an IDE CD-ROM drive, this unit is only visible when a cf card adapter with cf card (that cannot be configured as mentioned above) is attached.

When only the cd-rom drive attached it is not visible. I have checked all id's etc. Even mounter does not show anaything.

I fear my Buddha has stopped working. Any suggestions are welcome.

• HDtoolbox not saving might be a simple mishandling of an Amiga program: Most GUIs these days accept a change by just typing it into a field. The Amiga is different! You MUST press return/enter on every single field that you have changed.

Further, in HDtoolbox you MUST return to the title screen and check for drives that are listed as "changed" - you need to click on "save changes to drive" for each drive that's listed.

Further more. When I attach an IDE CD-ROM drive, this unit is only visible when a cf card adapter with cf card (that cannot be configured as mentioned above) is attached.

When only the cd-rom drive attached it is not visible. I have checked all id's etc. Even mounter does not show anaything.

That's a common theme with many CD drives. They either ONLY work as slave or with some weird jumper setting, but not if jumpered as "Master". You'll have to do some try&error to find a device combination and jumper setting that actually lets it show up. THis is not a problem of the Buddha controller, but of the CD-Rom drive vendor, who has most likely only checked proper functionality in the most common case: If it's operated as slave to the master boot HD in a PC.

I fear my Buddha has stopped working. Any suggestions are welcome.

No need to fear that. If you can boot from any device, you clearly have full functionality of the hardware.

Jens

• I have pressed enter on every input screen.

On the title screen it would show that the drive config has changed. But after saving all returned as if nothing ever happened.

When defining the CF Card, i used the Read Drive button. Entered a name. Pressed enter en returned to the main screen. Saving the changes. And after a reboot all would be gone again.

The fault appeared as my original CF card all of a sudden got corrupted.

• Try a different card then. If you can see the correct drive data (such as vendor name and capacity), then the hardware of the controller is 100% OK - note that commands and data are going through the same channels, using the same bus protocol. There is no way that the controller is "selectively defective on a write command".

A failing flash card is often an indicator for a bad power supply. You should measure voltage, ripple and startup ramp if you have the equipment.

Jens