Horizontal Lines

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • SO I got the AGA MK3 and I've been testing various settings with games, such as Giana Sisters and Turrican. It looks like there's some screen tearing going on, especially at the bottom of the screen, if I dont set it to AUTO and VSYNC. which is basically fine.

The issue I've got, don't know if it IS an issue to be honest, is that this setting introduces horizontal lines, while some of the other settings have no lines but the screen tearing.

Is there a recommended setup if what I want to do is just play games with WHDLOAD? Or a way to remove the horizontal lines from the AUTO+VSYNC setting? Or maybe that's even how its supposed to be.

While the lines look good on my monitor and remind me of CRT monitors, im not sure if thats supposed to be part of the signal. But since I'm capturing the gameplay on a capture card, its important that the video looks good there as well. And it doesn't. Looks somewhat fuzzy, not clean with the lines.

I'm not a very technical person and hope somebody can explain it to me, and maybe tell me a way to get no lines and no screen tearing at once.

Maybe a different capture card could also solve it, if the lines are supposed to be there. WHich is strange, since if you emulate those games with Amiga Forever, for instance, there are no lines and no screen tearing.

I put an example of Turrican with horizontal lines as an attachment.

• This may be an artefact of the scaler. You could try a higher output resolution, or a mapping that will map an AMiga pixel to a whole-number multiple of output pixels.

I'd have to look at a screenshot of the same game from an emulator, so I can see if the blue background is really the same colour, or if it's a pattern that may confuse the scaler.

Jens

• It seems to be the "auto resolution" option that introduces those horizontal lines. if its off, they're gone. I assume its not supposed to be like that?

I'm using the RetroTInk 4k and it should be able to deal with pretty much evrything. Output is set to 4k 60fps.

The issue is not there if auto resolution is off, so maybe its something with the settings or the flicker fixer?

I have the newest software installed, firmware updated and everything.

• Thanks for the feedback - and next time, please let me know in advance that you're using an additional frame buffer in the middle, as I would have told you from the start that this may be interference between the two products. Indivision AGA MK3 has been on the market for a few years, and we didn't have any complaint about "added vertical lines".

My guess is that you've checked the settings of that other frame buffer?

Jens