X-Surf-100 sanity check & AmiTCP install

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Dear Amiga Gurus:

I have decades of Unix networking experience but I've been humbled by trying to get this one particular system on my home network.

I purchased an X-Surf-100 in December 2022 from AmigaKit for a heavily upgraded Amiga 2000 that I inherited from a family member. The card is installed, there is a hardware link light, and the switch reports a 100 Mbps link up on the other end, but beyond that I'm not sure if the NIC is even being seen by the OS. I downloaded Sysinfo and while it sees 2x GVP and 1x 2127 (Sunrize) Zorro II cards, there's no indication of the X-Surf-100 card (which I would presume would have the manufacturer ID 4626 for Individual Computers).

Complicating matters is that I have purchased EasyNet and AmiTCP 4.3, neither of which ever installed cleanly; both had corrupted content one way or another. I may have myself to blame for this... lacking a means for floppy installation or an external CD drive, I've tried to copy the EasyNet disc into a ZuluSCSI CD image and similarly had to make an ISO with AmiTCP 4.3. (The hope is once I have network connectivity, the need for removable media is greatly reduced.) I can see the CD images in Workbench but I get complaints about missing and/or corrupted files.

I made one last attempt by downloading and installing AmiTCP 3.0B2. The install stage went fairly smoothly (having to work around the known weirdness with the root password prompt and hung login at startup), but the network device just isn't seen. Specifically, after doing the Variant 1 hackery according to https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=708048&postcount=6, my AUX serial console shell reports "(xs100 10) No ethernet card found or initialization failed" during at startup.

Is there a means to test if the card is at least working up to level 2? From there, what would be the best way to get it to use any TCP/IP stack?

Danke,

Grog

• Found it in an older driver archive and got it to run.

"....nicht gefunden!" (Das ist aber schade.) Clearly a hardware issue at this point. Should I bother trying the Z2 jumper?

• there's no indication of the X-Surf-100 card (which I would presume would have the manufacturer ID 4626 for Individual Computers).

4626 and product#100. Sysinfo should also show a serial number other than 0. While this does not show, you have no chance of installing any software (well, you could isntall manually, but it won't work). Try cleaning the slot(s), try shuffling the card order around, maybe one of your cards does not pass the config_out signal properly.

Jens