C64 Reloaded Mk2 - SID Failure

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I recently got time to populate the Reloaded MK2 board.

Doing a test harness test I was getting SID/Control Port Failure.

I pulled all the chips needed from a working breadbin machine which does pass the harness testing.

Any ideas why the failure might be happening with the MK2 board ? Perhaps just a faulty board or potentially another issue ?

I should mention I have tried two SIDs and I do get audio output during the harness test but notes SID/Control Port Failure still.

• IanStrickland71

Changed the title of the thread from “C64 Reloaded Mk2” to “C64 Reloaded Mk2 - SID Failure”.
  • Not enough info - please post the output of the remote control menu for chip recognition, and of course the actual chip numbers you've inserted (new/old SID).

Jens

• I have 3 8580 Sid chips with the same fault when using diagnostics. Tried them on various rev.A and rev.B shortboards. They sound fine and everything works. I have not tried paddles though, as I don't have any.

• Sound-wise, there are no problems. It's about the capacitors used for the POT inputs - they are a single capacity, not switched depending on the SID type.

These capacitors don't play any role in mouse position data transfer, so the "problem" reported by the diagnostic cartridge only affects fully-analogue paddles (not even the paddle emulation that you have with Micromys). With those paddles, you'll have a small offset, but you should be able to get from min to max without problems.

Jens

• Sound-wise, there are no problems. It's about the capacitors used for the POT inputs - they are a single capacity, not switched depending on the SID type.

These capacitors don't play any role in mouse position data transfer, so the "problem" reported by the diagnostic cartridge only affects fully-analogue paddles (not even the paddle emulation that you have with Micromys). With those paddles, you'll have a small offset, but you should be able to get from min to max without problems.

Jens

So this is a common problem and my Sid's are okay?