ACE2 with rev 6a mobo and 1mb chip ram modifigation.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Found your order - since you're in Finland, there is no customs border, and shipping rates aren't all that high. YOu have a warranty on this unit, and if it fails to work in two computers, it seems like we should take a look at it.

Jens

• This just doesn't work as waited. I might or might not work about a week a row, but after that it requires reseating.

I ended have it installed to my CDTV, as I couldn't get it work at all with my Amiga 500 computers. (tested two). I don't think there is anything "wrong" with adapter, socket just doesn't be tight enough. I thing only proper way to install 8375 Agnus would be solder an adapter/socket for it. Something like this https://github.com/LIV2/Diet-Agnus-A500-plus

I have now removed it and installed Agnus 8372.

I have all the needed equipment to solder one, but I always surprised myself how bad I'm with it. Most probably destiny of this ACE2 is to get pinned when I'm pass away one day.

• The adapter socket has the exact dimenstions of the Agnus chips. If re-seating is required for it to get back to working, you have already established that you're chasing a contact problem.

To solve this, please clean both the Agnus socket and the adapter unit on the ACE2b board with IPA and an old toothbrush. Any pharmacy should sell IPA. Don't use contact sprays, as these often contain additional chemicals and lubricants that you don't want in a computer.

Jens

• I couldn't get this to work, no matter how much I tried using IPA to clean the sockets.

It works for a day or a few weeks, and after that, I need to push it down to make it work. That doesn't always work; sometimes the CDTV hangs in a weird way, like the right mouse button doesn't work or the IR and right mouse. Problems are always solved by removing the Agnus and using the 8372 Agnus. Weeks pass, and I try again, and it works sometimes, until it doesn't. Now I've decided not to try again.

• We can put it through a long-term test here - maybe some other part is at fault (though I have a hard time explaining how IR might be affected, as that's not part of the chipset). Since you also reported having trouble in A500s, I won't even ask for the low clearance under the CDTV lid and possible shorts.

If you need to return something to iComp for service...

In your letter, please clearly describe that you first reported a single-bit RAM error in bit#14 in August 2023 (I assume you've bought the unit at that time?).

Jens

• Originally, I bought this for a CDTV. After some time, I found it works unreliably and tested it with an Amiga 500 and got that error. After that, I replaced the Agnus socket, and now it seems to work with the same Amiga 500 computer mentioned in the first post. I bought this on June 15th, 2023, ID 134576.

Generally, I think this doesn't fit properly on the CDTV; some chips under the Agnus touch it and make it sit a little skewed. Or could it be something to do with the GARY adapter? I have tried to get this to work on the CDTV several times, and it has been out of use for weeks at a time. Last time, it worked for about a week. First, I noticed that the mouse's right button didn't work with either a real mouse or a remote controller. After that, the CDTV encountered a guru error during a basic unarchive operation. I replaced the 8375 Agnus with the original 8372 Agnus, and the CDTV worked stably again.

Running The Settlers just fine last 24 hours.

I wanted it for the CDTV and not an Amiga 500 computer, but I think I give up trying to make it work with the CDTV.

https://youtu.be/9MAv4JZbocc

• I see in that video that you're using a PC power supply. This is a known-bad solution, as neither does that PSU know about the long cable to the load (which introduces a voltage drop), nor do modern PC power supplies have 5V as their main regulation rail, so you probably have undervoltage from the start. More info about power supplies.

Also, the Q-tip is not the best choice for contact cleaning. That may leave traces of fibre, but an old toothbrush won't.

Jens