Indivision AGA MK3 green screen

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello Jens,

Since today I’ve a problem with one of my Indivision’s MK3.

When I powered the A1200 today the powerled was blinking several times and I got a green screen. Yesterday everything was fine.

I thought it was a ram chip error, but when I disconnected the MK3 the A1200 starting as normal with normal output on the RGB port.

Next thing I did was connecting my other MK3 to the same A1200, also here everything good and normal output on the VGA and RGB.

Last thing I’ve tried was connecting the ‘bad’ MK3 to my other A1200 and here also the powerled blinking and green screen.

Without the MK3 I did a 2MB chip ram test with AmigaTestKit 1.20 Almost 700 rounds of testing without errors.

Both A1200’s are powered by your CA-PSU.

The code on the Indivision AGA MK3 = 8T&rV

What else could I try. or is it better to send it back.

I'd love to hear back with your suggestion.

Best Regards,

Phil

Belgium

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

iAmiga 27" | OS 3.2 FS-UAE | SDD 1 TB | RTG Picaso96 2560x1440

Edited 2 times, last by Phil ().

• Hi Jens

The whole Indivision is getting hot, I can't measure whether the Xilinx is warmer than the rest. The voltalge regulators (3 of them?) get warm first I think, actually hot.

Is this repairable?

Images

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

• Thx Jens,

Is it really necessary that the connection cable to VGA is also included in the package that I will return?

I have neatly concealed the connection cable under the disk drive, otherwise I have to disassemble it all over again.

Even without it being connected, you immediately have the flashing power LED when you switch on the A1200.

I really hope the price is not too high.

Phil

• Hi Jens,

Do you already have a time slot when it can go into repair?

I saw it was delivered yesterday.

I could only test it on my 2 A1200's, I'm curious if you also have the blinking powerled and the green screen. 🤢😲

• The last time I opened the A1200 was almost 1.5 years ago when I sent the motherboard to a very good technician here in Belgium for a recap with Panasonic polymer hybrid capacitors. A few days later I put the Indivision back on the Lisa chip. I didn't see the Indivision again until last week when I got the green screen.

I tried to load the Indivision recovery disk, but that didn't work. The Amiga wouldn't boot because of the blinking powerled.

Could it be because of the heat that something went wrong? It was about 30°C in the room when I turned off the Amiga the last time and so it didn't work the next day.

Could I do the reflash in another way?

Send me an email with the costs for your work and the price for returning it.

Thanks for your help Jens 👍

• I tried to load the Indivision recovery disk, but that didn't work. The Amiga wouldn't boot because of the blinking powerled.

We could not reproduce that behaviour.

Could it be because of the heat that something went wrong? It was about 30°C in the room when I turned off the Amiga the last time and so it didn't work the next day.

Temperature will only be a problem if ambient gets above 85 degrees C: This will let the junction temperature of the FPGA rise above 165 degrees C and cause it to fail at higher frequencies which are required for 1080p output. However, it should never keep the Amiga from starting. You'll see flickering after some time, but the computer should always start up.

Could I do the reflash in another way?

This is already done, the unit is back to working state. One explanation I have for your computer not starting is that you either installed it on the wrong chip (which you wrote didn't happen), or some other contact/short circuit problem that coincided with removal of Indivision. "Green screen" usually means that less than 256k of chip ram was found, in which case the computer refuses to start. You may also see such a green screen if your upper shield touches the Lisa socket pins - this is why we're writing in the manual that the shield should be modified/cut out for Indivision.

Jens

• I received the Individion back today, I reinstalled it and the computer starts up again without any problems.

I uploaded my configuration file back into the Individion, I saw that the CCKLine Pull Up was active and turned it off again, never used that before I think. Maybe I had done something wrong there that the Indivision did not agree with.

I removed the upper shield years ago.

Anyway, thanks Jens for making the Indivision usable again. Sent a week ago... now repaired and reinstalled.

What A Service 👍

• Hi Jens,

I have the exact same issue as described by Phil. Flashing power led and a green screen from Indy. I was trying to reflash it, but due to the Amiga not booting I can't load the rescue disc. Is there any way to force the unit flash from FD? My Indy's ID is 'gTA4N'.
    I have no metal cover on, the chip I am putting the Indy on is for sure a proper one and I am out of ideas.

To be honest, my Indy has a bit of history behind too and it's all my fault ...

I was trying to put it on the chip on my other Ami a while ago, and it worked great but it would keep coming/snapping off all the time when I touched the computer. I was trying to press it harder once and that's when I ruined the motherboard (I could not fix it since) and the PLC84 socket of Indy got damaged. So, then I decided to solder new socket (I know that this very moment I've voided the guarantee).

All went fine and clean and the Indy worked great with my second Amiga, after a while however it started coming off Lisa chip again, so It looks like I have used low quality PLC socket...

Then I designed and 3D printed plastic latch mounted onto Indy to the Amiga motherboard HD notches, and this helps Indy to stay in place (I wish I had this idea earlier..).

Last week, out of the sudden my Indy started behaving exactly same way as Phil's.

So, I would like to send it in for repair, and ask you to put the original PLC84 socket on the unit and reflash it if necessary...

I hope it can be repaired.

BR,

Marcin

• so It looks like I have used low quality PLC socket...

Quality may even be good, but I have my doubts that you have the contact spring form that we're using, because we have a custom tool for bending the pins in a slightly different way, so the sockets don't come off when they are used "upside down" like we do. When properly installed, you can lift the motherboard on the flickerfixer.

Information about how to return and not confuse my employees can be found in this thread (most important thing: Include a letter that explains what the problem is, and what shall be done about it).

Jens

• Hi Jens,

Just to let you know, I've sent the unit for repair this week, curious whether you are able to reproduce the green screen issue and whether simple flash will help. I also asked in the note to replace the PLC84 with an original one from you.

Thank you and BR,

Marcin

• I believe your parcel is the one that could not be delivered here yesterday. Did you ship from Germany, very close to the Polish border? I may be picking up the parcel when I drive to Mönchengladbach later today.

Jens

• Then I can confirm that I picked up the parcel on my way to A38, and it's safely at iCOmp HQ :-) We'll be working on it after we return from holidays (coming Monday).

Jens