Buddha doesn’t work

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • can not read from drive definitions

That sounds like an error that HDToolbox generates because the drive definitions file doesn't match any of the connected drives. You need to click on "Read Configuration" on unit 2 (if DOM is in the right port) or unit 0 if it's in the left port.

• That sounds like an error that HDToolbox generates because the drive definitions file doesn't match any of the connected drives. You need to click on "Read Configuration" on unit 2 (if DOM is in the right port) or unit 0 if it's in the left port.

That is what I have been doing, Read Configuration" on unit 2 (if DOM is in the right port) or unit 0 if it's in the left port. The DOM still dosn't boot into or show anytype of menu. Is there any special thing that needs to happen to make a installer menu pop up?

• That is what I have been doing, Read Configuration" on unit 2 (if DOM is in the right port) or unit 0 if it's in the left port.

The error message indicates that you're either on the wrong device name, or something is wrong with the WB installation itself. Would be good if you tried booting from the "install" floppy, preferrably a safety copy, as you need it to be unprotected (HDtoolbox tried to write to "drive definitions").

The DOM still dosn't boot into or show anytype of menu. Is there any special thing that needs to happen to make a installer menu pop up?

We are currently looking for a hardware problem - there are bit-errors in read data from IDE.

In addition to that, there appears to be a software problem that keeps you from reading drive data. We need to resolve this first before we can point at the hardware problem. The two errors don't seem to be related at this point.

• Awesome news! After moving the Buddha to a different slot and Grabbing a fresh Install ADF from my CD, I was able to install 3.2 and onto my drive and all seems to work well so far. I appriciate your help, I never did get the DOM to work. I did the whole install without it. It may be a good option to offer the Buddha with or without the DOM. I am sure there are cost to the licencing on the DOM and without it would lower the cost. But thank you again for your help, I greatly appriciat it.

• Thanks for the feedback. So the software problem was solved with a fresh install disk, but what about the first computer you've tried it with? This sure looks like a hardware fault in the Zorro slots that you probably never encountered, because there is no other Zorro card inserted. Again, it looks like a short between two Zorro pins, maybe caused by a screw (or other small metal object) that fell into a slot and you didn't notice.

It may be a good option to offer the Buddha with or without the DOM. I am sure there are cost to the licencing on the DOM and without it would lower the cost.

Bulk licensing is not that expensive, and it's definitely the reason why many customers buy the Buddha: It makes resurrecting an old Amiga from years of storage much easier. Not everyone has the itch to go with the latest version, and maybe not even the possibility to make boot-ADFs from a CD image. The DOM breaks a chicken-and-egg problem that you obviously didn't have, but many others do.

• Just a small observation… “cannot read from xxx” - in your case “drive definitions” - refers to a physical file in the HDToolBox folder. Just delete the file (drive definitions) and you’ll be fine. You could also just drag HDToolbox to ram: and run it from there or even type in something else instead of “drive definitions”.

Another thing: with the buddha - if you install a drive and then connect the DOM afterwards it will not be seen until you run HDToolBox again and update all installed drives. It wil mostly start with a message like “drives have been added…”

• Another thing: with the buddha - if you install a drive and then connect the DOM afterwards it will not be seen until you run HDToolBox again and update all installed drives. It wil mostly start with a message like “drives have been added…”

This BTW is not a property of the Buddha, but of the Amiga in general: The last unit number on the device automatically gets the "last disk bit" set, and when the OS sees that diring startup, it stops scanning for further drives in order to speed up the cold-start process. So yes, your remark is correct, and it's even more correct because the DOM uses a very low (negative!) boot priority, so it will really only boot if there is no other boot device available.

However, I don't believe that either of this was the case here, as one of the screenshots clearly showed bit-errors, pointing to a problem in the Zorro slot(s). As a result, the "negative boot priority" also couldn't be seen, because if it were mounted correctly, it would have shown up in early startup.

Jens

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.