Buddha doesn’t work

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I just received my new Buddha and it’s not working as it should. The DOM doesn’t boot but I can see it in HDToolbox. It sees the HDD I have connected to it but not the correct size. I have a 6 gig HDD connected to it, but it sees it at a much larger size and says it can’t configure the drive.

• Buddha does support drives that are larger than 4gig, but the OS doesn't, hence the wrong display of size. It will, however, support the full size once installed, it will just not display the correct size.

However, what I suspect from the garbage letters in the second picture is that either the cable you're using is not good, or the controller has been connected the wrong way round at some point. In that case, the protection diode has shorted out the "resistor of shame", a 22-ohms resistor that is meant to blow before a chip goes bust.

From the wording of your eMails, indicating that you didn't read the instructions, I have a very strong feeling that this has happened. The good news is that pretty much every person who can handle a soldering iron can repair this - only the 22R resistor needs to be exchanged, then the controller will work as advertised.

• I thought workbench 3.2.1 supports larger drives?

I'm sorry, but my crystal ball didn't tell me that you're using OS3.2.1. Yes, the new version does support larger drives and will also display the sizes correctly. Further, if you have the OS installed already, you won't need the DOM. Stupid me was assuming that you wanted to install WB3.1 from the DOM.

If I measure the resistor and it’s still good then what?

...then check the cable, like I wrote in the previous post.

• I'm sorry, but my crystal ball didn't tell me that you're using OS3.2.1. Yes, the new version does support larger drives and will also display the sizes correctly. Further, if you have the OS installed already, you won't need the DOM. Stupid me was assuming that you wanted to install WB3.1 from the DOM.

...then check the cable, like I wrote in the previous post.

As I have said already, The DOM doesn't work so how would I install from it. I checked the cable and it is working as intended. I even switched cable. Same resullts, again the crystall ball comment is bad customer service. You should keep your snarky sarchazim home.

• Sorry, I have to use some kind of humor, as otherwise, I can't stand support requests like this, where I get head winds of no information, but great grief ahead of time, before I haven't even attempted to help you.

Then I'm asking questions about what you're trying to achieve, but get more bad behaviour in eMails and other (unrelated) threads, which is then deleted. Just see it from my point of view: You didn't exactly give this a good start. There are *people* on the other side, not machines (however, even machines can't read your mind, so you need to give a certain minimum amount of information before anyone can help).

A blown resistor may exhibit unpreditable behaviour. We've had cases before where a multimeter shows the correct value, but under the light load that normal operation gives, it doesn't work correctly. A microscope view normally shows if it heated up or not (these resistors then show a small bump where the heat was concentrated).

One thing that strikes me is the accelerator - a pretty rare model, and you don't have a single other Zorro card in the system that may confirm the bus to work. Just to make sure that the accel isn't the source of your problem, please try to boot the system without the accelerator and see if it boots from the DOM. I'm sure that if the Buddha was really not installed the wrong way round, it will work, as every single unit has passed our QC procedure. An accelerator has the ability to alter Z2 timing, and we've had cases before where certain models of the Apollo2030 accelerator have been breaking compatibility with the Buddha controller.

Trying a different slot and giving the slots a good clean with IPA and an old toothbrush is also something you could try. After all, the controller passes autoconfig, loads drivers and even attempts to talk to IDE devices, so there's a lot of things already working - just that additional data word that IDE is using on top of the bytes that are read from ROM, that's causing trouble here.

• Pulled the accelerator out, cleaned the Zoro slots and even blaced the Buddha in a different slot. Same results, "Cannot read from drive definitions". And the DOM still doesn't work.

• Just checked the databse: unit RT8JX passed QC on October 13th, 2022 with no special notes in the database, pictures taken of front+backside at 15:33 on that day.

If you're re-inserting the DOM in the "right" slot (the one that it came pre-installed in), please make sure to close the jumper J2 next to the port, so power is routed to the port and the DOM can actually work.

What Kickstart ROM is installed in the A2000? Can you get into early startup with just the DOM installed and make a screen shot?

• OK, so DOM doesn't show a valid RDB.

Did you ever click on "save changes" when trying to find the DOM in HDToolbox?

Could you make a HDToolbox screenshot with only the DOM installed? I may be able to tell which bit is failing from the garbage characters. So far, I've only seen the garbage characters of the WD drive, right?

• It is, but I won't have the time to decipher the data today. I may not be able to pinpoint the bit that's failing, as the Manufacturer string is completely missing. I'd have to guess how the first byte becomes a $00 (end of string marker), but the first byte is usually on the even half, which is known-good on your controller.

Will set up an A2000 tomorrow and try to make sense of it.

• The drive name is supposed to be "IDE DiskOnModule". Only readable "bad characters" # (in place of "s"), $ (in place of "d") and , (in place of "l"). All of these errors have in common that bit#6 of the "bad byte" is 1 instead of 0. The "#" instead of "s" is different, though, as the error is in bits 6 and 4.

These two signals are on Zorro pins #84 and #83, right across each other. A possible explanation is that one of your Zorro slots is shorting these two pins. Please take a close look into all Zorro slots to see if there is a contact that's bent far enough inwards to touch the contact on the opposite side.

Pins to look out for are counted from the front side of the computer, the 9th pin(s) from the front may be shorted.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.