20 year anniversary Buddha

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • one more quick question- is it safe to use an ide notebook drive with an adapter that converts it to 3.5 inch drive? The adapter has a 2 pin plug that connects the drive to 5volts.

Thanks!

• another buddha question- if I install buddha in my 3000 ( that has a scsi main drive) will I be able to drag important files onto an ide drive attached to Buddha? So I can use as a way to backup.

• if I install buddha in my 3000 ( that has a scsi main drive) will I be able to drag important files onto an ide drive attached to Buddha? So I can use as a way to backup.

Yes, you can. And you can also choose which drive to boot from - it's in the OS already, and the setting of "boot priority" can be made in HDToolbox.

Alternatively, you can hold down both mouse buttons on startup and click on the drive to boot from if you want to deviate from the stored boot priorities. That's nothing specific to the Buddha controller - it's specific to the Amiga.

• my Buddha for 3000 worked great ( so I bought another for my 4000) I’m running os3.2 with hard disc and cd rom connected to main board.

When I install Buddha with only the DOM installed my machine boots fine and the “install Buddha” icon is on screen along with my other icons.

I’ve tried installing two different hard drives ( one at a time) on the empty Buddha connector and each time I can get as far as “ scanning for drives” and then my machine crashes- I have jumper connected at DOM side and open at HDD side.

Any suggestions? My buster is -11 if that is important.

Thanks!

Lance

• The crash might be related to the drive that you have connected: WD Caviar drives are known to violate teh X3T9 standard and return data that makes the Buddha software crash. If that's not the type of drive you have connected, please report the exact type, and also the rest of your config.

• using Buddha on my A2000 functioned fine when I installed a compact flash drive.
    machine boots/works fine with the compact flash but when I install a cd drive as the second device on the Ide cable and try to run cd install it comes back with an “ error of unknown type” message.

additionally, the compact flash doesn’t show up in hdtoolbox- not sure if that matters- the machine boots fine from the compact flash.

• Buddha DOM disappears after an attempt to install bridgeboard. DOM Installer reappears if I unplug compact flash, but with only 3.2 compact flash installed ( bridgeboard removed), machine boots/runs fine. It used to also show the DOM and now it doesn’t.

This is on an A2000.

Is there some sort of known conflict that trying to install bridgeboard caused DOM to disappear?

It’s really a non issue- I don’t need to use the bridgeboard, but thought it would be an interesting wave of nostalgia.

• The DOM does not disappear, but it has a very low (negative!) boot priority, so if anything bootable is in the system, the DOM won't start unless you actively select it in the early startup menu (Kick 2.0 and higher).

Bridgeboard is nothing I can help with - I only know that it's using Autoconfig, so it should be fine. You might want to double-check if the same happens if you change the order of the cards.

• Hi,

Jens "I haven't seen any properly-working SATA adapter yet."

I just have successfully tested this DeLock IDE<->SATA converter with my shortly purchased Buddha which worked fine with a 120GB (LQ) Intenso sata ssd so far.

Finally I've planned to stick to a CF-IDE converter but gave some other available hardware a try as well.

It installed properly and booted as expected. Transfer rate measured by drivespeed was ~3,2MB/s with fastZ2 on my A1260.

Well, what I by surprise did realize this time although both DeLock adapters look similar, one has no full connected pinout. I couldn't identify which is the older, but it explains why I had occasional struggles in the past, I didn't realize by now. Of course only the one with full pinout can be connected to the Buddha. There's another model though no. 62438. This may also work.

So generally Buddha can cope with such adapters and conventional sata ssd drives as well.

• Thanks! Can you take a close-up of the chip with the chip number readable?

What you've outlined is a missing pin#20 - the pin that is used for DOM power. On the left adapter, you should be able to run a wire from pin#20 to the marked pin of the 4-pin power input, then close the DOM power jumper on Buddha to give it power. This will clean up your power routing inside the computer, possibly improving air flow.

Did you only test SATA SSDs, or also harddrives and CD/DVD drives?

Jens

• Hi,

You are welcome! Now I've done some more tests with SATA CD/DVD [ASUS super multi DRW-2405MT] and of course there weren't any negative surprises [as expected] & Sata HDD.

Optical drive worked flawless in all common disciplines, reading and burning with latest MakeCD (~12x speed otf; I always and only burn on the fly btw.).

Beside my (4xEIDE adapter...no comments please) I'm also using CachCDFS v42.20 03.09.2004 with my Plextor SCSI burner.

Adopting a CDO mountfile for Buddhascsi.device unit 0 worked flawless, also direct scsi commands like scsiutil... open/close drive work.

CDDA playback with Songplayer - works well.

I couldn't get the Buddhainstall:...CDsupport.../l/CacheCDFS version 60.0 to work. It pops up a requester but mentions only to work with "Buddhaatapi.device". I couldn't get it working on my setup and held on to v42.20 for all successful tests.

Sata HDD was a 40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm ST3402111AS

What can I say, again no surprises here. Buddhainstall done its job quick and flawless. The drive booted and performed as expected, nothing unusual.

I hope these images suit your needs. Made a picture of each chip, unsure if there's any difference for why pin20 isn't connected...

I think I'll simply order and replace the full contacting strip, shouldn't be a problem for my soldering skills. The one attached has one blocked hole anyway.

All what's left to say - as usual again I spent my money on a well working and engineered piece of hardware from IComp.

Best regards

• Hi,

Received my Delock 91620 CF-IDE adapter today and using it with a 8GB Transcend CF card.

Set the jumpers to bus powered on both devices to save another power cable. Buddha installation went flawless. The new drive works pretty well just as expected.

Best regards