P96 3.3.1 and GBAPII++

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I tried to use the lastest P96 with a GBAPII++ on an Amiga 2000 using AmigaOS 3.2.1. I installed P96, installed the old GBAPII++ package from aminet over it, ignored complaints about missing fastlayers.library and fixed missing .card and monitor file manually.

However, it does not really work. I see resolutions in ScrenMode prefs, can test them (get a test pattern), but if it gets back from there at all I cannot actually use these resoluations as the system either seems to freezes or displays an emty workbench screen (only title, no windows).

Any ideas?

Thanks and best regards,

Pain

• Sounds like your manual fixes for the .card file could use a review? Also, isn't there a newer version of the GPAPII++ driver?

Please note that although this card is very similar to the Picasso2 card, we can't fully support it, as we don't have the hardware.

fastlayers.library is indeed obsolete - P96 does not use it any more since V2.2. You could double-check that it's not attempted to be loaded with a tool like Snoopdos or scout.

• However, it does not really work. I see resolutions in ScrenMode prefs, can test them (get a test pattern), but if it gets back from there at all I cannot actually use these resoluations as the system either seems to freezes or displays an emty workbench screen (only title, no windows).

I have this exact same card and similar issues although more intermittent.
    When cold (as in not used for hours) it would work fine (with many vertical lines in the low bit planes) but after some use it started displaying same error you describe. Also garbled screen and lack of screen updates; when moving windows they would still show in old position.
    I got the card already assembled from an eBay seller. As i turned out there were soldering errors. The cirrus Logic had three bridged pins and the “bird seed” between C1 and C12 were barely attached (C1 was only attached on one side)

Fixed it an now it’s rock solid.

Conclusion: the card is really good value for money (if it’s correctly assembled)

• Mine is different in the sense that it seems to have issues rendering to windi

I have this exact same card and similar issues although more intermittent.
    When cold (as in not used for hours) it would work fine (with many vertical lines in the low bit planes) but after some use it started displaying same error you describe. Also garbled screen and lack of screen updates; when moving windows they would still show in old position.
    I got the card already assembled from an eBay seller. As i turned out there were soldering errors. The cirrus Logic had three bridged pins and the “bird seed” between C1 and C12 were barely attached (C1 was only attached on one side)

Fixed it an now it’s rock solid.

Conclusion: the card is really good value for money (if it’s correctly assembled)

Which drivers do you use?

My card also just arrived from a polish seller (was not recognizable as non-german) on ebay kleinanzeigen. Might be, there are also issues. Looks ok at first sight, but I might use a lens ...

• Sounds like your manual fixes for the .card file could use a review? Also, isn't there a newer version of the GPAPII++ driver?

Please note that although this card is very similar to the Picasso2 card, we can't fully support it, as we don't have the hardware.

fastlayers.library is indeed obsolete - P96 does not use it any more since V2.2. You could double-check that it's not attempted to be loaded with a tool like Snoopdos or scout.

The manual fixes where just copying the supplied files to the right position. Card/Monitor file should be ok.

I suspect there is a newer version of the driver than the 2017 version from aminet, but I cannot find it anywhere. I suspect, the old driver might work with P96 2.1/2.2 but has issues with the current version.

• You might want to share the info where the card ultimately came from. We've had a polish (re)seller who was responsible for quite a hefty repair, and I have no idea if he ever paid the customer for his damages.

Always ask if there is product liability insurance on products if you buy them - your precious machines are not made any more! iComp has such an insurance.

• You might want to share the info where the card ultimately came from. We've had a polish (re)seller who was responsible for quite a hefty repair, and I have no idea if he ever paid the customer for his damages.

Always ask if there is product liability insurance on products if you buy them - your precious machines are not made any more! iComp has such an insurance.

It came from a "ELTECTROTECH DESIGN" in Poland and was apperently new. I was expecting to buy a used card from a german seller.

• You might want to share the info where the card ultimately came from.

eBay seller “retroguru.eu”

But let me be clear. I'm not into shaming anybody. Once I found out that it wasn’t working as expected- I didn’t contact the seller but fixed it myself.

• your precious machines are not made any more! iComp has such an insurance.

very good point. In this case though, I’m using it on a self-built Amiga 2000EATX 😉 and as the PiStorm is utterly useless I needed a RTG.
    For the same reason I’m still waiting for the ACA2000 😊 to replace a TerribleFire

• eBay seller “retroguru.eu”

He was actually the one who supplied an adapter that had a power connector installed the wrong way round, so 12V went into the 5V rail of the accelerator setup.

In this case though, I’m using it on a self-built Amiga 2000EATX

...meaning that the unit doesn't only have material, but also affectionate value, which makes it even more precious.

I’m still waiting for the ACA2000

I've started working on the ACA600, which has a subset of the ACA2000 functions. So in a way, I'm laying the foundation for the ACA2000.

• eBay seller “retroguru.eu”

But let me be clear. I'm not into shaming anybody. Once I found out that it wasn’t working as expected- I didn’t contact the seller but fixed it myself.

Still, probably same seller as the paypal account actually has the logo on it.

• Yes, and P96 plays nice - but the "GBAPII" driver installer is screwed up.

Just do the file copying and icon tool type "thing" manually and it'll work fine ;)

I fixed the installer, but noticed nothing related to tool types. Is there anything I need to do?

Current state is that i figured 16 color planar resolutions up to 1024x768 work for me after creating them. No chunky or hi/trucolor works in thest in the P96Prefs. I just get a black screen with the desired display timings. Using ScreenMode Prefs, it shows me the correct test screen with text and color bars, but when exit it the system freezes.

• Congratulations, it's working :)

I fixed the installer, but noticed nothing related to tool types. Is there anything I need to do?

My bad, mixed it up with the damn PiStorm crap...

No chunky or hi/trucolor works in thest in the P96Prefs. I just get a black screen with the desired display timings. Using ScreenMode Prefs, it shows me the correct test screen with text and color bars, but when exit it the system freezes.

Yes, thats correct - max resolution for 24/32 bit is 800x600.

• Unfortunatly I meant that chunky/hicolor etc. does not work at any resolution. Even at 640x480x8 it does not work. 16 color planar seems to work flawlessly however in 1024x768.

• Unfortunatly I meant that chunky/hicolor etc. does not work at any resolution. Even at 640x480x8 it does not work. 16 color planar seems to work flawlessly however in 1024x768.

Oh, sorry to hear that, I misunderstood. Maybe we did buy from the same seller after all.

My card did show all supported resolutions but the 256/65k colors had terrible horizontal lines and would "garble" the screen intermittently. The true color modes worked fine but limited output to 800x600.

As i wrote earlier I fixed it by reflowing a lot of the sonderings and cleaning out a few bridges on the CirrusLogic. Fortunately it didn't cause any damage - so start warming up your soldering iron ;(

• Oh, sorry to hear that, I misunderstood. Maybe we did buy from the same seller after all.

My card did show all supported resolutions but the 256/65k colors had terrible horizontal lines and would "garble" the screen intermittently. The true color modes worked fine but limited output to 800x600.

As i wrote earlier I fixed it by reflowing a lot of the sonderings and cleaning out a few bridges on the CirrusLogic. Fortunately it didn't cause any damage - so start warming up your soldering iron ;(

Thats what it looks like ;(