ACA500plus stopped working :(

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi there,

I recently (in the last month or so) got a brand new ACA500plus and it's been working great. Today I turned on the A500 it was attached to and heard a small pop sound, so naturally I power everything off. (I'm using a brand new modern external PSU that I use with both my A500 and A1200)

After a few minutes of checking the board visually to make sure nothing caught fire, I plugged it back in and turned it on. No pop, but also no video - just a black screen. The bottom left LED of the ACA500plus flashes blue for a moment upon power up but then stops entirely. The system never seems to boot. So I unplug the ACA500plus and the stock A500 boots to a kickstart 1.3 screen as expected (RGB video output).

The ACA500plus hasn't moved since I got it and plugged it in - could something have fried on it? The chips get warm after a few minutes of being powered on, but nothing else on the board ever lights up when it's plugged in and I never get any video output.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Dave

• The A500/1200 PSU from c64psu.com

That's known-bad. I recommend to send it back and claim your money back - it's been sold with false advertising. Calling a non-suitable PSU "for Amiga" is plain fraud, just because there is a connector on it that fits the computer. It violates three out of three key specifications from Commodore.

Please read our PSU FAQ for more details.

If I long-press the button near the seven segment displays, I get the 0_. Not sure if that's a good sign, bad sign, or not a sign of anything.

It is a sign that the MCU on the DisMo is still alive. If you then do a keyboard reset (while you see the blinking 0_) - does the computer start as if the ACA500plus is not connected?

• It was a chance - a low one, admittedly. That "pop" sound description does sound like something got destroyed, and it's likely to be a CPLD latch-up due to the bad ripple of the PSU.

You'll have to ship back this unit for service. Please read this article before shipping.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.