ACA1221 - Red Screen on boot

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi there

I have an ACA 1221 that has been working fine until yesterday.

I have Kickstart 3.2.1 installed on the board and get a red screen on boot.

I have taken the card out, cleared the connectors, taken the ROMS out and cleaned the sockets and put the ROMS back in again. Still the same.

I have also swapped out the 3.2.1 for the original KS ROM that came with the A1200 and I get a black screen but still nothing.

I have checked the position of the Jumper switch.

Do I now have a faulty Accelerator card, is there anything that cane be done to repair. I belive this was purchased through AmigaKit as it has one of their stickers, it was one I received through a friend and I did not directly purchase it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

• We've had this before in this forum - major blooper on Hyperion's side. We do have a solution on the hardware side, but that's a paid upgrade: You need to send the card to us for the logic 1.3 upgrade, which is 28,- EUR plus VAT and shipping.

You might want to try going back to your old ROMs and save a slower or faster speed in the card, this might make a difference.

• Hi Jens

Thank you for the reply. I did go back to the original ROMS, I did explain that in my first post. When I changed back to the original ROMS it just starts up with a black screen.

This is why I have posted the message. If I could get it working with the old ROMS I'd be happy with that . But it's not working with either ROM set.

I am afraid I do not have another A1200 here or someone locally to test to see if it works on another A1200.

I would be happy to ship it back but it could be faulty rather than just the 1.3 upgrade that I am happy to do if you think this will fix it. But as it will not power up with the old ROM's I am thinking it is more likley an issue with the device itself.

The A1200 powers up with eiter ROM set in just fine.

Many Thanks

Tim

• Did you remove the accelerator when inserting the new ROMs? I'm asking because the connector might have been damaged in the removal/insertion process. Please try the usual "pull out by 1mm" first - if your CPU slot is not chamfered, then inserting the card all the way in will cause a few pins to lose contact with the gold sorface of the A1200.

• Hi Jens

Thanks for the update. Yes I tired this with new and old ROMS. I can remember this with some older Accelerators back in the 90's.

I've cleaned the connectors and tried several pull off and push back on again.

• I don't see any bent pins, so the best advice I can give it to clean the A1200-side connector with a micro fibre cloth and pure alcohol, and the ACA1221-side connector with a toothbrush and pure alcohol (IPA is fine - do NOT use contact sprays!).

When installing, do not push the card all the way in. After reaching the "all the way in" point, pull it back by 1mm, then power up the computer.

Should that not work, we can of course take a look at it here.

• Hi

OK, thank you. I will give it all one last clean and see if that helps but that was pretty much the first thing I did.

I will also see if I can try it in another A1200 before I send it back just in case its my Amiga.

Thanks

• Looks a bit bent to me ... Maybe I'm wrong ...

Commodore: A1200/1B, ACA1234/50/68882, Indi AGA MK3, Gotek, OS3.2.1 | A1200/1D.1, ACA1221lc/26,67, OS3.1 | A500/6a, ACA500+, Indi ECS V3, OS3.1 | A500/8A, Vampire v2+, Indi ECS V2, A2048, Gotek, OS3.9| A500/5, 512kB Trap, sealed, Kick 1.2 | 2×C64C, U II+, Turbo Chameleon V2, 2×1541II, Datassette | 1084S-CRT ······· Atari: Falcon030 | 1040STE | 800XL

• THis is pin# 149 or 150 (would have to look it up), and that's either +12V or -12V, both not used by the ACA1221. This can't possibly be the source of a "black screen".

• The best way to deal with this pin is not to do anything, as it is not used by the design. Just give it a clean, push it in, pull out 1mm, power on and see if it works.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.