Posts by blark

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

The original A500+ RTC was M6242B, the one I have has a RTC72421B (drop in replacement with crystal, so crystal is not populated). I pulled the RTC chip just incase it was causing problems anyway, didn't change anything.

The meter was calibrated by Keysight, I just got it and the certificate of calibration.

Either way, I'm using the original PS - I just said I ALSO had a Meanwell that I tried.

I have tested both systems at length with DiagROM and AmigaTestKit and there are no errors. I pulled out all expansions for fear it was one of them causing an issue.

The A500+ is stock, save for using an RTC72421 instead of the older chip. 1MB of ram on the motherboard, 8375 Agnus, v2 (37.175) Rom.

The A500 (rev5) is stock, except for a 8372a Agnus, v1.3 ROM (don't have exact ver).

About the power supply. The Meanwell is fine for my use, I have a very accurate multimeter (Keysight.. five decimal places) which was recently calibrated. I have adjusted the trim pot and the Meanwell is like 4.99999 on the 5v line at the Amiga LF1.

I see that according to the wiki:

> Blinking once, pause, repeat: Success, all ok

However, each time I boot from the rescue disk, after about 30 seconds it starts blinking a single time. But the screen is black. I am using the same monitor and power supply and all other configuration is the same as it was before. Note: I have tried several rescue disks.

Please help, my indivision is dead at this point. Thanks.

Hi,

I have an issue with my Indivision ECS V2. I attempted to update using the latest rescue disk on the site, the screen went blank and the power LED began dimming every couple of seconds.

I left it for what seemed like a really long time, as I wasn't sure if it was flashing or not as the screen is now blank. Eventually I powered down and now my Indivision is not displaying any picture.

How long does the flashing process usually take? Is this power LED dimming/flashing normal? Thanks for your assistance.

My setup: A500+ 1mb chip ram, no mods present beside Indivision ECS v2.

Jens I'm afraid that I have brought shame upon myself by hastily plugging the aca500 in upside down. Can you please let me know which resistors I need to swap? Thanks.

EDIT: oops, nevermind I found the silkscreen pointing to them near the edge connector.

Thanks for the clarification Jens your time is appreciated!

I did read the wiki, several times. I even tried to search for "chipram" to make sure that I wasn't missing something. I think that the wiki would benefit from a bit of additional clarification so that folks like me are _absolutely clear_ how to set up their aca500plus in this scenario.

Could you please clarify for me the three settings I mentioned earlier:

• $C0/Trapdoor RAM
    • 7M Fast RAM
    • 1M Chip RAM expansion

For a 1meg chip ram setup, what *exactly* would these be set to? I am not sure what you mean by "No need to mess with $c0 memory"... does this mean I leave it as default, turn it off, etc? So you providing the exact options for a know-good 1meg chipram config would help folks experiencing problems (like bad memory) rule out aca500plus config as the reason.

Thanks very much!

Jens thanks. So, to be clear, on a rev 5 motherboard all that needs to be done to get 1 meg of chipram is to:

- replace Fat Agnus 8371 with an 8372A,

- switch on the chipram option and turn off $C0/Trapdoor RAM in expert settings

Can I suggest that you make a note about this in the Wiki? As far as I can see it's not documented, and it might help out anyone in my situation in the future.

Edit: One last question, would there be any problem on the aca500plus with flashing the DiagROM so I can test the memory expansion I have?

Thanks very much.

Hello,

I have my aca500plus connected to a rev 5 motherboard. I have an amram-x 512kb expansion, and an 8372A Fat Agnus and decided to give upgrading to 1mb chip ram a try.

I have cut JP2 and soldered the top pads as per instructions on the net. According to what I'm reading all I should need to do now is turn the amram-x to "off" and it should be detected as chipram. However the aca500plus lists the ram as "unavailable" when I do this, when I turn it on and boot the Amiga it sees the ram as built-in (forget the exact term) and boots fine. I have _not_ cut the line near the trapdoor (EXRAM) because I from what I read the off/on switch on the Amram-x should take care of that.

However, I am having some issues with the upgrade as it seems that SysTest (crashing) and other utilities designed to check memory are finding errors. I was hoping to confirm the proper settings for this configuration so I can 100% rule out a configuration problem and move on to hardware troubleshooting. I am wondering what the various ram options should be set to? Currently they are (with the ram switch ON - because OFF == aca500plus doesn't see ram)

• $C0/Trapdoor RAM: disabled
    • 7M Fast RAM: max
    • 1M Chip RAM expansion: built-in

I read somewhere that I might need to make a modification related to the ROM (apparently EPROM based ROM chips require extra wiring), but I am not 100% sure what to do about this since my ROM is technically coming from the aca500plus.

Any help or insight you could provide would certainly be appreciated. Thank you!

Ok, I think I figured it out, the key was in this sentence of the above doc that I posted: "Note that only the P9B pins 19-40 actually have a header soldered in in most machines"

This seems to make sense because the header is 22 pins... Jens is this correct?

Jens so I finally have a resolution to my issue, as it turns out it was the bent pins (pictured in my second post) causing the problem. I assume they were not making contact with the Amiga.

I wired up the new RT-65B power supply (tuned the 5v line under load) and again had the same "black screen" issue as before. Disappointed with the result I decided to try to bend the pins back into shape. I used a pair of very fine tweezers that I use for SMD soldering to bend them as close as possible to the other pins. I used a pair of 3.5x magnifying glasses to make sure that I wasn't shorting anything out.

Sure enough after re-seating, the card worked immediately. I'm very glad to finally have the issue resolved, and have my aca500plus working!

KKR75 thanks for the feedback, looks like the RT-50B and 65B are very similar. The 65B just has a slightly higher rated current output... Shipment was delayed again, should be coming in today so I will have a chance to hook it up and test it out.

Jens the power supply shipment was delayed until today. I do happen to have some 1000uF 50v caps here that I will try on the 5v line. I'll also measure the voltage to make sure that it is stable at 5v. I anticipate trying all this today, I'll report back soon.