Posts by kevbrice

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Right - C0 trapdoor space is in the 24-bit address area that is reachable from Z2 slots, so yes, you should turn that off,

The MapROM part is also not desirable for OS3.2.1, as you most likely want the Kickstart to be mapped in Fastmem. However, soft-kicking is not possible with BigRam2630 due to the limitation that the lower 64k (again, if I remember right) need to be binary-identical with the physical ROM. You may be better off using the MMU to map a new ROM.

It's only updating select libraries and not doing a full soft kick, so it seems to be happy. I don't actually want maprom and already use MuLibs to remap the ROM to fast memory, but when I didn't have it on, it started dropping my SCSI controller when rebooting for LoadModule. It's probably the documented issue that I need another Zorro card in between the A2630 and my SCSI controller, but I don't have one to put in there right now.

AFAIR (and it's some years ago), there are three options: C0 memory, Fastmem and MapROM. I'd do C0 memory and Fastmem only.

Never mind, it finally came back to me how bigram works. It's non-obvious, even with what you just said, until you remember the implementation detail that no state is remembered and bigram is literally writing out directives to be run at boot, not just toggling feature flags. Without knowing that, it makes no sense to send the same settings I already had, especially since I don't remember what settings I had in the first place.

Before I saw you said to enable C0, I found in previous posts you'd suggested addmem and maprom as the default options. I did that with the version of bigram you attached, and it seems to have fixed the issue. I didn't turn on C0 memory because I didn't know what it was. Is it this?

$00c0.0000 to $00db.ffff
    optional trapdoor ram, normally switched off. This 1.8M memory space may only be switched on if no DMA-capable Zorro cards are in the system.

That sounds like most people definitely do not want that on, right? My SCSI controller uses DMA.

Thanks for the pointers in the right direction, Jens.

Thanks, Jens! I ran bigram help, but I'm not sure which option I'm supposed to be using to correct the autoconfig settings. The section about using the bigram tool directly to make modules resident wouldn't be applicable here. Or are you saying I need to use the bigram tool to add the memory from now on instead of AutoConfig?

AmigaOS 3.2.1 was just released today, and it updates some modules via LoadModule. If I let my A2000 apply the updates, the machine reboots (expected), reads the disk very briefly, and then hangs on a black screen. If I hold both mouse buttons after the reboot and check the "Trace startup sequence" box, it doesn't even get to the point of letting me step through the startup-sequence - it just hangs on the black screen. What might be happening here? If i remove the BigRAM2630, it successfully boots with the module updates. And if I comment out the LoadModule call, it successfully boots with the BigRAM2630.

I haven't noticed any other issues - just this issue with 3.2.1. Thanks!

I don't have an ACA1234, but I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to throw out the possibility that there may be other non-hardware issues causing MBRTest-2 to lock up. Just for kicks, I tried it on my accelerated A2000 and stock A3000. Both locked up early in testing fast RAM. So I started up my 3.2 UAE VM, and that locked up too. All of them are running 3.2 ROMs.

Just wanted to close this out. I tested the Indivision ECS v2 with my Video Toaster and disabling Graffiti mode (also tried disabling ECS mode) made no difference- Toaster continue to throw “unable to genlock” error.

Thus the Indivision ECS v2 is incompatible with the Video Toaster while the v1 works perfectly.

I just remembered this error can be caused by not having anything connected to the RGB port. Do you hit this with the v2 installed with something connected to the RGB port, or an RGB terminator?

Since I never heard about a 7.8kHz signal before (on what output would that be?), I tend to say "no". Do you have a pointer to literature about this signal?

I don't no; just trying to piece things together from that discussion on the NewTek forums (with users, not NewTek employees), which mentions the sync dropping down to 7.8kHz in genlock mode. That references the VueTech Sync Strainer, which says this in its manual:

When the Sync Strainer senses a gen-lock condition, as when NewTek’s Video Toaster is started, the Sync Strainer creates new H- and V-sync’s from composite sync. If the Amiga is in a high scan rate mode (31.4kHz), Toaster will not be able to start up. This is not a problem with the Sync Strainer. The user should first switch back to the “NTSC Hi-Res” mode from the “Prefs” icon. Should you attempt to start Toaster while the Amiga is not in an NTSC-compatible mode, performing a warm boot will guarantee that the Amiga does come up in a proper scan mode.

I'm new to the Amiga, so apologies if anything I'm saying doesn't quite makes sense, as I'm still figuring things out. Thanks again for your time!

https://forums.newtek.com/show…740&viewfull=1#post678740

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/syncstrainer

I was also planning on using an Indivision ECS v2 with Video Toaster (the original card, not 4000). I happened to notice in SantiDarkG's video that the Indivision splash mentions multisync and horizontal/vertical sync. Are those what the Denise replacement is trying to sync against? If I'm understanding some other forum posts correctly, those aren't valid in genlock mode—sync has to happen against the composite sync. Does the Indivision ECS v2 support the 7.8kHz signal output in genlock mode? Is genlock mode supported at all irrespective of the Toaster software? I'd expected this would work since I saw a bunch of posts about people using Indivision ECS with Toasters, but now that I look again, those were all v1. Thanks for any help/insight you can offer.