BigRAM 2630 issues with intuition.libary, WHDLoad

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Machine specs:

Amiga 2000 Rev 6 Motherboard w/ 1 MB ECS Agnus / ECS Denise

Commodore A2630 Rev 9 w/ 4MB memory, FPU, not overclocked.

Indivision ECS (first version)

Buddha 20th Anniversary

X-Surf-100

Kickstart 3.1.4

When the BigRAM is installed, loading the v45 intuition library results in a black screen. Removing the BigRAM allows the newer intuition library to load without issues.

When the BigRAM is installed, all WHDLoad application launches load the initial little window with information on how to exit the game, etc, but when they switch to the actual game, it's just a black screen. Removing the BigRAM allows the WHDLoad games to function without any issues.

I tried removing the FPU co-processor, but it made no difference. I tried changing the on-board memory jumper from '4 MB' to '2 MB' and it made no difference.

In AmigaOS 3.1.4 with the kickstart version of the intuition library, the machine is super stable and I haven't had any issues at all running 'workbench' applications like iBrowse, AmiFTP, AmiIRC, Wordworth, etc. It's only when I try to use the new intuition library or load any WHDLoad games that I see this issue.

Any thoughts?

• I tried removing the FPU co-processor, but it made no difference. I tried changing the on-board memory jumper from '4 MB' to '2 MB' and it made no difference.

I assume that you've tried this in an attempt to lower the capacitive load on the bus - the FPU is one load, but the RAM chips are another load, no matter if activated or not. So the approach is correct, but if you want to make sure that the additional load of the RAM chips is not the cause, they need to be removed, otherwise the "test" is not a valid one.

In AmigaOS 3.1.4 with the kickstart version of the intuition library, the machine is super stable and I haven't had any issues at all running 'workbench' applications like iBrowse, AmiFTP, AmiIRC, Wordworth, etc. It's only when I try to use the new intuition library or load any WHDLoad games that I see this issue.

This indicates that the computer is indeed stable and memory also works as intended. You could double-check by filling up your RAM: disk so a fiarly high extent, and if the computer remains stable, you're looking for some kind of software issue in WHDload. I wouldn't know where to look for the problem, as most of our accelerators have a very similar memory architecture, wich "lots of memory" outside the 16M-area. The Autovector setting might be worth looking at.

• So am I missing a step? After I remove the memory, when I turn on the Amiga I get a message telling me the card is defective (presumably because it can't find the memory). The card has a jumper to pick between 2MB and 4MB, but not one to pick no memory.

• That would have been a helpful tip to try before I desoldered all 4MB. I did get it to boot up with the bigram program, and it behaves the exact same way with regards to WHDLoad and intuition.library. This expansion card is turning out to be a colossal waste of time and money. :rolleyes:

• I'm sorry, didn't know that you went all the way de-soldering the memory chips. Had I known that, I wouldn't have asked you to remove the memory at all.

My 2630s all have 2M soldered in, and the rest in sockets, so removal is really easy there. This was more like a "shot in the dark" to exclude hardware trouble, but you've already excluded hardware problems yourself, reporting that OS3.1.4 works rock-solid with more complex programs running, so we are most likely looking for a software problem - something that doesn't like memory outside the lower 16M.

Please explain what "the newer version of intuition library" is - is that an update from Hyperion?

To be honest, I have never tried to run WHDload with anything else than kick3.1. There's quite a few things to install for WHDload, including the relocation tables and Kickstart ROM images that may be required. Further, OS3.1.4 activates the MMU of the 68030 CPU, which might prove to be troublesome for WHDload, as many of the programs take over the whole machine (bypassing the OS), but are not aware of the MMU.

So before you jump to conclusions and say that the BigRam2630 - which otherwise works - is a waste of time, please make sure that you're pointing your finger at the right thing.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.