0MSSIAH - 2nd SID won't work

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I just got a reloaded mk2 board and installed it - all looks good! I installed 6581 and 8580 SID chips.

However, despite setting the following settings, MSSIAH won't use the 2nd SID:

- Stereo SID set to $DE00 (this is what MSSIAH uses)
    - SID 1 and 2 set to mono (stereo L/R mode also does not work)

I swapped SIDs thinking one may be broken - nope, same issue. SID 1 always plays, SID 2 does not.

The board detects both SID chips.

• The program is only detecting the 1st SID at D400.

When I swap it with the 8580, it detects that as the 1st SID at D400.

No SID at DE00 is detected.

• I've done further testing:

- reset to factory settings and then apply the above settings = SID2 is detected in remote menu, not detected with SID detect or MSSIAH
    - using 2 8580s instead = SID2 is detected in remote menu, not detected with SID detect or MSSIAH

- swapping 8580s = SID2 is detected in remote menu, not detected with SID detect or MSSIAH

- using 6581 with different 8580 and swapping = SID2 is detected in remote menu, not detected with SID detect or MSSIAH

- cleaning contacts on ZIF sockets and SID chips = SID2 is detected in remote menu, not detected with SID detect or MSSIAH

- changing to mono mode and using RESTORE key to swap between SIDs = SID2 is detected in remote menu, not detected with SID detect or MSSIAH

I can't really find any other way to check without trying to update firmware on it, or reflowing solder - latter I can't do without obviously voiding warranty.

• Doing the firmware update is a good idea in any case - however the second SID should work without :)

It's really puzzling to me that the SID is detected and shown in the remote menu, but not visible to C64 software - it still might be a contact problem though. Try half-opening the lever of the socket, and then gently move the SID sideways forth and back so it "scratches" at the contacts of the socket, and close the lever again. This usually helps if the reason is some oxide layer on the legs of the IC or socket. (But it sounds like you already did do enough cleaning).

In any case, please also paste the exact output of the remote menu.

Perhaps Jens has an idea when he is back in the office (which may not be before Monday though). Of course it could be a faulty board - but we should rule out everything else first. Please don't try to solder or sth like this for the time being :)

• Yeah, I've scratched contacts as you've mentioned, didn't work sadly. Even used IPA and later some Deoxit to see if it improves electrical contact - same as before.

I'll do a firmware update later today and let you know - I wondered if something corrupted because upon first connecting to the remote menu via serial, all I got was random letters rather than the actual menu. Turning it off and on again showed the menu as expected.

What values are you looking for from the remote menu? Just what chips are detected or general settings for everything?

• Chip info from remote menu

VIC-II: 6569 (45 4A 08D6 AF55 PAL)

SID 1 : 8580 (DB 00)

SID 2 : 6581 (A3 D2)

CPU : PHI2 OK (045A)

MCU : 20231101

L ==> SID 1 Left, SID 2 Right

E ==> Stereo DE00

• That looks good.... my guess would be that some address- or data- line to the second SID is interrupted, which is why the software cant detect it (the detection of the board works differently)

while we are at it, please also post the warranty id - Jens might want to use that to look up the QA info in the database

• Have already swapped them - the 2nd slot always doesn't work, but all SIDs do when in the first slot.

So it would be something like:

SID1 slot: 6581 (works)
    SID2 slot: 8580 (detected, but doesn't work)

SID1 slot: 8580 (works)
    SID2 slot: 6581 (detected, but doesn't work)

SID1 slot: 8580 (works)
    SID2 slot: 8580 (detected, but doesn't work)

SID1 slot: 8580 (swapped - works)
    SID2 slot: 8580 (swapped - detected, but doesn't work)

I already mentioned I have cleaned contacts too, same result.

• All SIDs themselves work fine on their own - the fact they all work fine on SID slot 1 shows this.

I've even swapped 6510 CPUs and the CIA chips. Even swapped power supplies, ensuring they're all low ripple and have the right amperage. Same result. :(

• Thanks - no problem to see on that picture.

I have no idea how Mssiah detects SID chips, so I'd like to check a simpler piece of software first. Tobias, can you recommend a simple stereo player?

Jens

• It doesn't show up on sid-detect either, so it's not just MSSIAH. It should just work, as other people have had success using dual SIDs with this board with MSSIAH once set to $DE00. In fact, it's the main reason why I bought it.

Is it possible to send the board to get it checked? I've pretty much exhausted all options on my end.

• For added context, I have since tried multiple stereo SID files in SIDplayer and various stereo SID demos eg. Game of Thrones, using $D420 as is expected. They don't detect it either.

The thing is, I can hear the distinctive hum from both SIDs on headphones, so its definitely being initialised - the problem seems to be that the board isn't picking up what address its set so, as $D420, $D500 and $DE00 do not work. Very likely could be something like a faulty trace?

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.