Buddha Plus One Corrupting the OS3.2 installation.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Jens and Timms

I finally figured out why the CD drive gets uninstalled after a reboot. The Buddha Installer, installs a number of OS3.1 files which corrupt the OS3.2 installation, if you notice it will be there for about a second.

The FIX.

1. Install the Buddha DOM and the jumper, CF card, CD drive to 2nd.buddha.device set CD drive to MASTER. Power on the Amiga.

2. Boot up with the Buddha Installer. You should see 3 devices, DOM, CD drive, CF card. Select the CF card and install it. Click yes to install the CD.

3. When prompted to reboot, power OFF the Amiga and remove the DOM and jumper. Power ON the Amiga and it should boot to the OS3.1.

4 Install OS3.2 CD in your drive and you should see the CD. If not, go to Devs/DosDrivers, and click on BCD0. If it's not there get it from the Storage folder. It needs to be configured:

DEVICE=2nd.buddha.device

UNIT=0

ACTIVATE=1

Double click the BCD0 to mount it or reboot. You can rename BCD0 to whatever you want.

5. Install OS3.2 normally.

6. Install your programs and reboot.

Do not use the DOM or it will corrupt your WB OS3.2.

You can connect an HD to the same IDE port as the CD if you use an IDE cable with a male and female connector, set the HD to SLAVE, now you can backup tour CF card. Make a copy of HDToolbox and rename it to BuddhaHDToolbox change the DEVICE to buddha.device. You can use this to format your HD.

The End:)

• Do not use the DOM or it will corrupt your WB OS3.2.

That's the only thing we don't clearly mention in our documentation. However, it's the obvious thing to do, as the DOM is a 3.1-or-older installer, and that should not be used on a 3.2 installation. I have a hard time accepting that obvious things like this must be mentioned in the manual. It may be taken as "oh, they are going the American way of documentation", with associations like "don't spill the hot coffee on your pants or you'll burn yourself" and "don't put hamster in microwave to dry it". This is the way that Europeans make fun of Americans - not sure if you're aware of that.

Jens

• Jens

Why does the buddha make changes to the CF after it has added the CD drive, this should NOT happen! That's why I have found that by powering down the Amiga, and removing the DOM and powering up the Amiga FIXES the flaw of the buddha. You can see this when you do a reboot and look closely for the 3.1 message pops up. I also noticed that at other installs of the CF card and you reboot a larger number of changes occurs. I plan to capture this and post it. This also happens when I remove the MK II to a STOCK A3000T. This MUST be fixed. Users have paid good money for the buddha and this should NOT happen. What Amigas do you have and tested the buddha on?

• Jens

I am not using 1.3 DOM, I only use the 2.0 DOM that came with the buddha plus one!

I am talking about OS3.1 that are on both DOMs that is install on the CF or HD.

All you had to add to the manual is "Set your CD/DVD to Unit=0 (Master) on either 2nd.buddha.device or 3rd.buddha.device".

If you have an HD set to Master on 2nd.buddha.device or 3rd.buddha.device" then you must set your CD/DVD to UNIT=1. But if you remove the HD then you will lose your CD/DVD. The buddha is not programmed to skip an unused Unit=0.

• Why does the buddha make changes to the CF after it has added the CD drive, this should NOT happen!

Right, and it's more than unlikely to happen, as the boot priority of the DOM is lower than the installed medium.

I plan to capture this and post it.

Please do, as I have a hard time imagining how the DOM can do anything when it's not booted from.

All you had to add to the manual is "Set your CD/DVD to Unit=0 (Master) on either 2nd.buddha.device or 3rd.buddha.device".

The manual should be generic. It should not go into detail for specific drives. Many of the CD/DVD drives we tested even don't work at all when jumpered to Master, as the most common way to install them on a PC was to have the boot drive as master, and the CD drive as slave on the same cable. As a result, many drives only work as "slave", and even work as slave if there is no Master present. Adding this sentence to the documentation would result in more support cases than I want to imagine.

The buddha is not programmed to skip an unused Unit=0.

This is NOT a general property of the Buddha, but most likely specific to your devices.

Jens

• Jens, Timms:

This message came up as I rebooted from setting up the CF card. This was my stock amiga 68030-25.

Only the CD/DVD and CF card was connected to the Buddha.

Here is another one when it would not load workbench after a reboot.

Then I set the cd rom to master and the CD/DVD mount list file to:

Device=2nd.buddha.device

Unit=0

Activate=1

Then the Buddha Plus One worked fine!

I believe the buddha or the OS when it could not find the CD/DVD it gave these messages.

• I don't quite understand what you are talking about here.

"CD drive gets uninstalled after a reboot".

What?

"Do not use the DOM or it will corrupt your WB OS3.2."

This is wrong, or a bug of such grave consequence that it's hard to imagine how it would have escaped our attention in innumerous tests.

The complete procedure of installing OS3.2 from CDROM with or without 3.2 ROMs is described in great detail in the README.

You do NOT have to remove the DOM. And certainly the presence of the DOM should not corrupt anything.

• Timms

Then when I powered down the Amiga and removed the DOM powerup the Amiga everything worked. The CD/DVD was working, and the message did not appear.

Thats when I found out that the CD/DVD need to be set as MASTER (Device=2nd.buddha.device Unit=0) with the DOM installed and just the normal reboot.

I removed my buddha IDE board from my #1 A3000T and installed in my #2 A3000T.

I installed the new and improved buddha plus one in my #1 A3000T and found that the old buddhascsi.device was not compatable with the buddha.device. I could not boot from my HD it locked up my Amiga, I used the Startup Trace and found the Binddrivers was the cause (see the above posts). No mention of this configuration in in the instructions. In the end I had to completely reinstall my OS and all of my programs on my HD (I had a CF card on order) to get my A3000 to working order this wasted many hours and reboots, power cycles. When I got my CF card, I copied my OS to the CF card, removed my HD rebooted but I had NO CD/DVD as my CD/DVD was set to SLAVE and I got 2nd.buddha.device error message.

Using my two old buddha IDE boards, I don't recall having any of these issues.

No mention of this or any error message are in the manual.

• These issues only happen the users who spend good money on a product, engineers and programmers are not to be held responsible for their errors they blame it on the user!

• and found that the old buddhascsi.device was not compatable with the buddha.device.

This is docimented in the readme. The low-level registers are indeed compatible, so if you want, you can use the old ROM in the new controller, but will lose access to the CF card slot and the RAM option.

No mention of this configuration in in the instructions.

TBH, mixing up software and hardware installations is such a rare thing that I wouldn't want to cover it in the instructions, as it would confuse 99% of the customers. If one has a Buddha, there's hardly a need to upgrade to the Plus One version, and using an old software installation with changed hardware is just asking for trouble.

These issues only happen the users who spend good money on a product, engineers and programmers are not to be held responsible for their errors they blame it on the user!

You are protected by EU customer protection laws - in this case, the lever to pull is your right of revocation: Send it back for a refund.

Jens

• Jens, Timms

I am pointing out the issues I had installing my hardware when I use the CF card. With the CF card the plus one works like the old buddha HD is master CD/DVD is slave. When I installed the CF card and copied the HD to it and removed my HD, I had no CD/DVD until I set the CD/DVD to master. Now that I figured without you help the plus one works great. I still don't see and speed improvement using SysInfo 4.4, in fact I see a reduction in HD or CF speed compared the old buddha, the old buddha didn't have a CF card but it did have an SD. One major improvement would have been to get rid of the IDEs and install 4 SATA ports, no need for the CF as they do make SSDs, also USBs would have been a nice touch. IDE is going the way of SCSI. I already have 2 SATA adapters and plan to add 2 more, no more IDE hardware. I can't send the plus one back as I have changed the jumper pins from horizontal to vertical, so they are easier to get to and I changed the Arduino jumpers color from black to red, green, blue, yellow or white.

I am working on my newest Amiga 4000-40 VideoToster with TBC which has major battery damage under the SIMM sockets. I stuffed the Toaster in my A3000T and now that version 4.3 is available for free I got it running. I have another toaster 4000 but it has bad RAM board so I had to remove all 16 RAMs and install 16 sockets and I tried to find AAA1M200p-10 replacement RAM but they are hard to find and expensive, so I had 16 KM41C1000P-10 RAMs ICs on hand and got my 4th Toaster working.

I will be slowing down on my computer work as I need to do weed control and mow and irrigate my 300 feet by 80 feet lawn and weeds that bloom and look and smell nice, change oil on my tractors, cars, and truck.

• I still don't see and speed improvement using SysInfo 4.4

Acceleration of transfers is only really noticeable on 68000 CPUs. The whole concept of the Buddha Plus One aims at lower-end Amigas that shall get more of a boost than with the previous versions of the Buddha: If a customer has an A2000 without anything else, Buddha Plus One is a huge leap forward.

For Amigas that are already faster than a stock 68k@7MHz, you'll have a hard time measuring a speed difference, as it will probably fall into the "meausrement error" category.

On a plain 68000, the difference is huge: The old Buddha without Fastmem would transfer 805k/s from a fast harddisk or CF card. The "plus one" gets 872k/s in that same config, and if you switch on 1MByte of fastmem, you get 1.13MBytes/s.

You do NOT get the same percentage increase on faster CPUs, as they work on a separate fastmem bus that runs in parallel to the Zorro bus, completely non-conflicting.

This has all been described in detail in the product description: It clearly speaks of speed improvements with 7MHz-68000 CPUs and with the special case of a Z4 board. Assuming that it would also speed up transfer rates with your A3000T is not what the product description says. Please re-read that paragraph, also check archive.org to make sure that it was there at the time of your purchase.

Jens