Keyboard chip PLCC has cracked on my Mk3, can I buy a replacement for that bit?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello

I have an Indivision AGA Mk3 which I recently removed from one A1200 to another. In the process of refitting, when I went to push down on the daughterboard and PLCC that goes over the keyboard controller, one side of the brown PLCC connector cracked and split (my own fault, must have been on an angle when I went to push down). It's still works, but fails intermittently due to the lack of consistent connection pressure all around the chip. I've tried gluing it, hasn't improved things.

I'm rubbish at soldering, and I would rather avoid having to buy an entire new Mk3. Is it possible to please just buy the module that goes on top of the keyboard controller, so I can replace the broken one?

Thanks

Chris

(Pic borrowed from Lyonsdown blog, as I'm at work and wanted to illustrate the issue)

• I would have suggested a cable tie, but there's not enough room next to the keyboard connector.

I don't have a spare part number and a price for these yet, as this is the first case like this since introduction of Indivision AGA MK3. Please send me an eMail, I'll do some calculations next week. Lights are "almost off" here, employees have already left for the long weekend. If there's something else on your iComp-wishlist, it might be worth adding, as shipping will most likely be more expensive than the part itself.

Jens