ACA500plus and AUX card

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I've recently purchased an ACA500plus. I had no problems installing Workbench on the main CF card, but unfortunately I can't get the AUX slot to work. First I tried to use a microSD to CF adapter, unfortunately the card either was not detected, or AUX:NDOS showed up on Workbench. I tried a few things, including reformatting and changing the FS to FAT16. But after some tries things got worse: when the card is inserted, after pressing F1 to boot with Kickstart 3.1, the computer freezes, and red and blue LEDs are lit on the DisMo. Then I went to the forum and found some posts about problems with microSD to CF adapters, so I bought a 16GB CF card - unfortunately the freeze problem persists. Please advise what should I try to get the AUX slot working.

• There's a possibility that the SD card adapter has overloaded the electronic power switch that feeds power to the AUX slot. The behaviour might also be caused by bent pins in the Aux slot. Can you take a high-res closeup of the slot?

Jens

• Pins look perfect. If a normal/known-good CF card (as in: works in boot slot) doesn't work in AUX, then Q1 (FET: IRLML5203) is the main suspect. If so, I'd recommend to only use CF cards, but not that SD card adapter in the slot, as it may draw too much power.

Jens

• The two slots are completely independent of each other, they don't share a single signal. Both slots defective is very unlikely. A cheap, unbranded CF card being defective is a lot more likely. The only place I've seen this kind of card has been eBay, and flash media being "defective" if you cross a certain amount of data that you write to it is a common sign of a fake-size card.

I'd buy from a local store, even if you pay a little more.

Jens

• I can confirm: There are many wonky CF cards out there. Many of them are trial-and-error. Definitely spend a few bucks more from a reputable vendor! I mean, you probably will use this for years to come, and it's still cheaper than the cheapest HDD you could ever buy for your Amiga back in the day.

Personally I use Transcend and Transcend Industrial cards, and they work very reliably.

• had the same problem with two CF cards from the same vendor. Working in boot but not Aux ... after buying a 4GB Transcend card I was able to use it in Aux without problems ...