CF flash not recognized on Buddha Plus One

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Please note that this is an iComp support forum. If you've bought from a different reseller, please turn to them for support.

If the card works in the "native" CF slot of the Buddha Plus One, it should also work in a proper CF card adapter. However, as the manual states: You should NOT use an adapter like that, as it's not meant for hot-plugging and by no means meant to exchange data with a different system. You should view the CF cards on a Buddha Plus One like a harddrive: Put it into the computer, close it, use it, but don't touch it for a few years. You don't change harddrives on a regular basis on any other system either.

Jens

• So, my limited experience with these Buddha controllers is that they are quite fussy. The adaptor shown will work with the Elbox FastATA and the onboard IDE, but not Buddha.

However, I have found that the following, from Amazon, works ok : StarTech.com 3.5in Drive Bay IDE to Single CF SSD Adapter Card Reader (35BAYCF2IDE). It comes with an expansion plate adaptor so it sits very nicely in my A4000 at the back.

Jens is 100% correct - this isnt hot swappable - just makes it easier, with the machine off, to remove the card for use with WinUAE. The CF socket on the plus one will be much more expensive to replace so my thinking is to leave the boot drive CF on the onboard Buddha CF and use the Startech external one for large file transfers and so on.

Hope that helps,

Mark

• Thanks, yes I am not in for any hot swapping or frequent use, but I need to be able to setup my drives in WinUAE. and at rare occassions take out the card to fill it with more programs. That is the intention with having an IDE cable and a bracket with the CF card accessable in the back.

I don't want to open the whole box to access the internal CF card slot - that one will need to sit where it sits.

Perhaps I can get some advice though on following:

- Should or should I not use the 5v power slot on the bracket. e.g. should the Buddha send enough power needed when jumper is open? I use a 40 cm long ide cable
    - could it be a problem with the cable rather than the card reader?

- The card works on the internal CF slot - so I don't think that is the casuse

- Any other configuration required?

Thanks for the advices

• Be super careful with those Buddha jumpers. My CF adapter uses its own power from the PSU from a floppy connector - dont use the Buddha for that and ensure the jumpers are set to reflect that external power setting. Power from the Buddha is only for a DOM.

I cant help you with your other questions - as previously explained, Jens is right, its probably an issue with the compliance of your IDE cards chipset. Unless your cable is obviously borked, its not likely to be that.

No configuration required when it works - the Buddha just picks it up and runs with it. Obviously you would need to change the tooltype in HDToolBox if you want to re-partition.

• If the card works on the Buddha's CF slot, it should also work in an adapter. Open the power jumpers on Buddha, connect power directly to the adapter. If that still doesn't work, you may be looking at a defective cable. We have known-good IDE cables in stock.

Just to be sure you're not looking in the wrong place: Use "buddha.device" in hdtoolbox tooltypes to check for drives.

For exchanging data with WinUAE, I still don't recommend swapping cards. Network is the better way.

Jens

• Hi all,

I understand what you say Jens and I respect it. From my point I have no other way to get software into the Amiga ATM than loading it from Winuae. I also have a SCSI2SD for the whole system running, but it is not possible to access the SD card from that solution in WinUAE. I also have a Gotek but that is also no real way to transfer a lot of files. I am really not into network on my A2000 altough I see some pursue that,
    So my plan is to at rare occassions fill the CF with software that I can install either on my SCSI drives or IDE drive (Internal CF)
    For single software try out I can use the Gotek and unpack small images. I will be super restrictive

I suspect that the CF adapter is not accepted by Buddha controller, so I have ordered another one to see if it works (35BAYCF2IDE)

Yes I do use the tool Buddha.device and I have no issues setting up the internal CF. But when I attach the external adapter then even the internal CF harddrive dissapears from the Workbench.
    The external adapter power led is not light up when I open the jumper for power from Buddha. I need to inject a floppy power cable to get the power led to go on it. But it does not help to recognizing the drive. for HD tools. i only see the internal CF card. I tried also to remove the Master/slave jumper on the external device - no difference.

Jens do I need to be afraid of trying the jumpers to harm the Buddha? The remark above from Lamaman1971 warns me to try to power IDE drives from the Buddha by removing the jumper. I noticed the DOM had the jumper closed

You are very helpful and I am confident I will get it to work eventually. Thanks a lot

• I am really not into network on my A2000 altough I see some pursue that,

It couldn't be easier with the network install disk, which is included with the X-Surf-100. Since you have a Buddha Plus One, you won't even have to transfer any software: If the installer sees the X-Surf-100, it will offer to install AmiTCP and the iComp GUI.

But when I attach the external adapter then even the internal CF harddrive dissapears from the Workbench.

Sounds like a simple "cable connected the wrong way round". Wouldn't be the first cable that is crimped the wrong way on one side, and there's also the chance that the connector on the CF card adapter is mounted the wrong way. This stuff is made in huge quantities for next-to-nothing in China, and I wouldn't expect any kind of QC on these.

Jens do I need to be afraid of trying the jumpers to harm the Buddha? The remark above from Lamaman1971 warns me to try to power IDE drives from the Buddha by removing the jumper. I noticed the DOM had the jumper closed

Worst thing that can happen is that the 5V rail is pulled low by a pin#20 that is grounded. "officially", this pin isn't there on IDE, so it's use is "nearly undefined". Some CF card adapters to accept power in pin#20, some have the pin unconnected, and the jumper on Buddha is there as a safety measure for any device that grounds the pin. In that case, a trace on Buddha may burn.

Jens

Sounds like a simple "cable connected the wrong way round". Wouldn't be the first cable that is crimped the wrong way on one side, and there's also the chance that the connector on the CF card adapter is mounted the wrong way. This stuff is made in huge quantities for next-to-nothing in China, and I wouldn't expect any kind of QC on these.

Yes I tried it the other way as there is no real markings and then I can see the CF Harddrive. But still not possible to find the external CF card/adapter in HDtools.

Worst thing that can happen is that the 5V rail is pulled low by a pin#20 that is grounded. "officially", this pin isn't there on IDE, so it's use is "nearly undefined". Some CF card adapters to accept power in pin#20, some have the pin unconnected, and the jumper on Buddha is there as a safety measure for any device that grounds the pin. In that case, a trace on Buddha may burn

I assume then I should better keep the jumpers on the Buddha on?

It couldn't be easier with the network install disk, which is included with the X-Surf-100. Since you have a Buddha Plus One, you won't even have to transfer any software: If the installer sees the X-Surf-100, it will offer to install AmiTCP and the iComp GUI.

It is tempting, but right now I have spent more than I planned on my Amiga2000 so I will need to digest the idea for some time. I also prefer get the thing at hand working before moving to next :)

• Yes I tried it the other way as there is no real markings and then I can see the CF Harddrive. But still not possible to find the external CF card/adapter in HDtools.

That means you at least know which way is the wrong way :-)

I assume then I should better keep the jumpers on the Buddha on?

No, you should take the jumpers OFF to stay safe.

I also prefer get the thing at hand working before moving to next :)

You might have a defective unit there. A CF card adapter is a simple wire connection with no electronics, and if that doesn't work right away, there's a high chance that the unit is plain defective. Again, it's not an iComp product, and you should turn to the seller of the adapter for support, an exchange or a refund.

The refund may actually get you closer to affording the ideal solution called X-Surf-100 :-)

Jens

• Update: so I have now tried the 35BAYCF2IDE with the same CF card that works on the Buddha internal CF card slot.

Mark referenced this CF adapter works for him.

it still is no success to identify the harddrive with neither Buddha installer or HD toolbox

so my next step is to find another IDE cable to test with to rule out a possible cable issue

• A few ideas :

Have you checked that your floppy style power connection is supplying the correct voltages to the CF adaptor?

Have you looked at the Slave/Master jumper on the adapter card? Mine is set to Master.

I cant imagine its the CF card - but have you tried a different one??

Hope that helps

Mark

• Yes I have tried everything

2 different adapters

2 different cables

4 different CF cards (all working in the CF slot on Buddha)

Measured power to adapter

Jumper as both slave and master. Master does not seem to work at all (drives are not visible)

Ordered and tried an old mechanical ide drive - this was found and I could partition it. When formatting computer lock-up. After reboot it ”works” but Starting any software from the drive crash (black screen - reboot)

My scsi 2 sd or scsi HD has no issues like this.

I will return the product as it does not seem to work as it should.

Has anyone else tried 35BAYCF2IDE with the new Buddha plus one? I have seem multiple youtube videos working but with the previos Buddha version.

• Ordered and tried an old mechanical ide drive - this was found and I could partition it. When formatting computer lock-up. After reboot it ”works” but Starting any software from the drive crash (black screen - reboot)

What kind of drive is it? Manufacturer, type, capacity?

I have seem multiple youtube videos working but with the previos Buddha version.

There should be no difference in timing between the old and the new version. Like I wrote before, I believe you have a faulty adapter there.

Jens

• Hi Jens,

I want to say I have the highest respect and love for the icomp / individual products. I have other products and I trust the quality and design.

I found something interested today - WHDLoad games that worked yesterday don’t work today. So I am starting to consider my PSU is worn down/instable. I measured it a few weeks ago it appeared fine then but I am now in doubt.

Perhaps the Buddha as well as the 35BAYCF2IDE is fine but my PSU cause them to fail. I need to explore this path - shifting to a modern ATX PSU has been on my mind so I better take the leap and see if that could cure the problems.

what do you think?

• Hello Jens,

it’s been a little while but here is some updates:

i have swapped the PSU to an ATX which in general has been very good for my A2000 it is more stable now and I can rule it out from my problems

I have experimented a bit and this is where I am at now:

1. by using both my CF adapters on the IDE Cable (40cm with two IDE slots) I can get the slave to work (if one of them is put as master)

2. It does not matter which device I use but only the one set as slave will work. Both also needs to have CF card in the slot.

3. The CF needs to have been pre formated in the native CF slot - since the HD Toolbox will freeze when scanning device 2

4. The built in Buddha installer will not see any of the IDE drives - so this path is a ”nogo”

it means that I have reached somewhat a useable situation - but I’d like to hear from you if this gives you any clarity on what is going on and if there is anything further we can do?

kind regards

Tom

• i have swapped the PSU to an ATX which in general has been very good for my A2000 it is more stable now and I can rule it out from my problems

No, you can't. Please do read the FAQ that I have linked to, and either measure *properly* to make sure the PSU is really not your source of problems, or just stop claiming that the PSU is good.

1. by using both my CF adapters on the IDE Cable (40cm with two IDE slots) I can get the slave to work (if one of them is put as master)

THis confirms that the Buddha is OK, and you're looking at a device-side problem.

2. It does not matter which device I use but only the one set as slave will work. Both also needs to have CF card in the slot.

...which brings up the question if the CF card even has the ability to work with any "second" device on a single cable.

3. The CF needs to have been pre formated in the native CF slot - since the HD Toolbox will freeze when scanning device 2

yet another hint that the device connected to the port is not answering properly to device-identify requests.

4. The built in Buddha installer will not see any of the IDE drives - so this path is a ”nogo”

Again, not because of the Buddha, but because the devices you're using are barely complying with the ATA X3T9 standard.

but I’d like to hear from you if this gives you any clarity on what is going on and if there is anything further we can do?

Use devices that behave like real IDE devices do. So far, you've asked a lot of questions here, used adapters that are not recommended, claimed (without proof) that a known-bad power solution is good, but failed to answer any of the truly critical questions I've asked, like the exact device and manufacturer names, or the measurement steps you've taken.

If you do not answer my questions, how am I supposed to help you? I feel like talking to a wall. If you want support, you have o work *with* me, not against me.

Jens

• Hi Jens,

I’ll get back with information about all hardware.

About the PSU swap it resolved other instability problems I had on my system -( I cannot say if it had any effect on my ide device side problems.)

I don’t have the skills to answer up to your expertise, but I try to share my experience to hopefully help.

Kind regards

Tom