Turbo Chameleon V1 crashes after 30 min. of use

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • As the title suggest, I am having problems with my Turbo Chameleon V1. I already mailed with Jens about it, and he suggested that I used the forums for this. So here goes.

The TC v1 I have is bought second hand, and seems to be in good condition, but it crashes after around 30 min. of use (black screen, blinking red led). I run it with my C64 and a good power supply as far as I can tell. Jens wrote to me that it might be a voltage regulation inside my Chameleon that needs an upgrade. Any thoughts on this? I really would like to have it fixed somehow.

• What kind of powersupply is it then?

Also, what kind of C64? I had (Jens fixed it for me) one C64 myself where the clock would drift significantly over time - i can see how Chameleon would not like this :)

• Could you open it and make a picture of the board, so we can see what board revision it is? Perhaps it has the same problem as mine (that also was a breadbin C64).

• The patch may be as simple as adding a few capacitors on the regulated voltages. Could you take a close-up picture of the two voltage regulators in the bottom left of the board? They are the two bigger chips with 3 pins at the bottom and one wider pin at the top (SOT-223 package).

So far, the fix was never required for the year of your Chameleon: You've got a 2010 unit, but only the 2012 production run needed this. It involves cutting one pin, adding two caps and a small wire for the cut pin. There should be no 2012 unit out there any more that doesn't have this fix. Pic of the finished fix attached.

Jens

• Thanks - that's the usual 2010 assembly, no caps added. You could add the caps "for good measure" to see if it makes a difference. Use 0805-sized 10µF/16V ceramic caps.

You didn't answer Tobias' question about the power supply you're using. Could it be that you have an aftermarket unit?

Jens

• AH - OK, the ageing 1.5A unit. Might be worth a try with one of the 1.7A box-shaped (not wedge-shaped) units, if available. Avoid these aftermarket units by all means.

Jens

• I got another C64 in a storage room in town that I will go get and test if that helps. Otherwise I will try to get a 1.7A psu from eBay. And lastly, if that does not help, can I ship the TC back to you to take a look at it?

• Yes, that's the type. I'd recommend borrowing one of these if you don't have any other PSUs in your collection.

I wouldn't buy one at this point, as we're still in the phase where "anything is possible". If you spend money too soon, too fast, you might end up wasting it.

Jens