A600/A1200 buffered CF Card Interface

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Sorry for posting the thread on "offtopic" but as a newbie here I could not find any other product category where to send my question. I have 2 Individual Computers A600/A1200 buffered CF Card Interface adapters. I just recently bought AmigaOS 3.2.2 CF from Amigastore, having a pre-installed OS in it. Obviously I have installed also Kickstart 3.2 ROM in place. For some reason, I can not boot up my Amiga 600 when 3.2.2 is installed on A600/A1200 CF adapter. I can use the adapter with AmigaOS 3.1.4, having the CF from AmigaStore.

I can boot my A600 having 3.2.2 in use with some other CF adapter. However, I would like to use the Individual's adapter as it sits nicely in place but now I don't understand why I can't boot my computer anymore? Power led is lit, and I can see that disk is being read but after a while all leds are dimmed and screen is blank. Nothing happens even though I have waited a long time.

Amiga 600 configuration: I have A604n + RTC clock from icomp in use. I have also Furia EC02 installed.

Any idea why am I having this issue with AmigaOS3.2.2 and A600/A1200 CF card interface?

Kind regard, Pertti

• While at first this sounded like a software issue, you clearly proved that the install itself is OK with a different CF card adapter. Memory and CPU are probably also not the problem, as OS3.2 even works on 68000 if I remember right.

I'm at a loss here - it might be a specific ultra-cheap CF card brand that is acting up here, but even that is very unlikely, as I have specifically designed ouf CF card adapter to deal with all the known shortcomings that cheap CF cards have. So it may be a new phenomenon that wasn't around when I designed the product.

So we have to dig deeper here: First thing would be to create a 1:1 copy of the card to a different-brand card and see if that makes a difference. If it does, I'd like to investigate that bad card. Do you have a Linux machine and know how to use dd?

Your name indicates that you're in Finland, so shipping stuff to Germany would not involve crossing a customs border - is that correct?

Jens

• Thank you for a prompt reply! I indeed live in Finland. I actually thought the same as I have learned that AmigaStore may use some cheap brands on their memory cards. I then came to same idea to copy the card and searched information how to do it... I found out dd-command and tried to use it on my macbook. However, something went wrong as the process finished but I could not use the newly created copy with any CF adapter... Well, I do also have raspberry in use so I could also try to use it with dd tool.

I will try to use raspberry to copy the AmigaOS3.2.2 card to different brand. I have at least the same size (16GB) Sandisk Ultra, I believe that should serve the purpose?

• Now I have done some more investigations... It eventually seems that the problem was on my Furia accelerator, not on Individual's product. I read AmigaOS3.2 FAQ and it mentioned that Furia's are having issues with some memory cards and they recommended to update it's firmware.

Well, this case is solved, I hope this helps maybe someone else. Thank you for your support!

Kind regards,

Pertti

• Thanks for getting back with the solution - doesn't happen often. We mostly assume that a case is resolved when there's no feedback within a few weeks.

Jens