Buddha Plus One not detected with Accelerator

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • HI,

I've recently installed my Buddha Plus One and I'm unable to get the board visible in ESM or ShowConfig with my accelerator installed.

My system:

2000 rev 6.2

68030TK-02 in CPU slot adapter

GBAPII++

GVP HC+8 (Jumpered to 4mb)

ACE2B

Buddha

All other Zorro cards are functioning correctly so Buster doesn't seem to be at fault.

Ive Tried swapping the cards around and I've tried with just the Buddha, no difference.

Looking at the Buddha Plus One Registers (mostly above my understanding) I see mention of INT2. The CPU slot adapter has an INT2 header and I wondered if this needs connecting to something?

Buddha is detected and boots from DOM with a 68000 in the slot adapter. 68030Tk causing the issue, it does however work with the other two cards.

Is there anything I can do to make this work or should I accept that the two aren't going to play nice together and rethink my plans for the Buddha card? I have a rev 4.1 board which is a restoration in progress if needs be, I'll use it in that, but ideally the 6.2 system was going to be my enhanced system with modern solutions and the 4.1 a period piece, retiring regular use of the ageing SCSI HDD.

I haven't tried booting with the 68030 in the CPU socket as ACE2B is in the way and I don't really want to remove it unless its suggested to try this.

Thanks.

• Buddha Plus One has a very simple Z2 interface (always had since 1996), but with one constraint: It can only be mapped to the IO area of Z2 space, which is $e8.0000 to $ef.0000.

I haven't heard about that accelerator before, but it may contain software that occupies this space and Kickstart is attempting to move the card to the 8M Z2 space. This does not work.

Further, you might want to try setting the 1M memory to "off" using the 68000 CPU, then go back to 68030. It may be a conflict of addresses, as the 1M memory is not handled by autoconfig, but by the software of the Buddha controller.

If the accelerator has an INT2 line, it means that it's coming with it's own set of peripherals, which may conflict. I'm pretty sure that it does not make a difference where the accel is actually plugged (86-pin slot or CPU socket), it will cause the same kind of trouble. After all, it's on the same set of signals.

Jens

• Thank you,

Z2 space conflict appears to be the problem.

I have been able to make a complete backup of the SCSI drive to Buddha using the 68000. Much of the content of that drive is irreplaceable, with files dating back to 1993. Buddha has been worth it for that alone and it will make a fine storage solution for my older board, or until I can put an ACA2000 in this one.

RH.

• Much of the content of that drive is irreplaceable, with files dating back to 1993.

You should store such valuable files on self-correcting media, such as a NAS. That's why we've been working hard to bring networking to all Amigas: Mounting a CIFS share is really easy with our AmiTCP installation disk, and once you have the files on a RAID system, you truly have peace of mind.

Jens