ACA500plus and ACA1233n RTC issues

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I’ve got a problem I can’t solve. I’m running an ACA500plus and ACA1233n running on an A500++ board. The RTC on the motherboard has been disabled by jumping JP9. I have a RTC attached to the clockport on the 1233n, but it doesn’t hold the time or date. It just resets to 1978 and 00.00 on cold boots. I’ve tried 2 different RTC’s and tried numerous RTC detection settings in the 500plus menu. What am I missing? Thanks!

• Auto-detection is not always working. If you know that you want to use the clock on an A1200 accelerator, please make a manual setting in the global settings of the ACA500plus and save those settings.

If it still doesn't work, the RTC module is probably defective.

Jens

• Is that with a manual setting of the RTC location?

Also, just trying more than one RTC doesn't mean that both are OK. It can still mean that both are defective, battery is bad or some software is overwriting the time.

Jens

• Can you share the order ID that you've bought the RTC module with?

For the Epson unit, I have never verified if the timing of that Epson chip is met with what the ACA500plus generates. That's because I have never produced RTC modules with Epson chips. But for the other one, I'd like to know when this was bought, as we didn't ship any RTC module outside Germany lately.

Jens

• No Jens, I haven’t bought a RTC from you. These are from elsewhere. Sorry for the confusion.

The one I received yesterday was bought from retro-ready-one in the UK that’s says compatible with your cards. That has the Epson chip. I’ve found that once it’s detected it seems quite reliable, but if I have to change any settings in the 500plus menu (not RTC settings) it disappears and I have to fiddle about to get it to work again. It’s plugged in to the 1233n as the case I have prevents me from using the 500plus clockport.

• There are more than just the global settings for RTC. Every profile has it's own RTC setting, and if that's not "global", you are already making changes by "just looking" at a profile setting.

Note that the software structure of the menu doesn't allow "just looking" at a profile. Whenever you bring up a profile, you've loaded it's settings. This may be the reason why you're observing seemingly-erratic behaviour.

Jens