Is it worth to using Mu68x and aca1233n.libary for ACA1233n 55mhz?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I've recently got ACA1233n 55mhz, I'm testing it on AGS2's system (light 3.1 version i think), I installed ACATool 3.4 and everything was ok, I had 12.04 Mips in sysinfo and the transfers from sd were over 4,000,000. But sysinfo said MMU not in use, so I installed Mu68x and aca1233n.libary. Currently it displays MMU in use but I have different from 12.00 to 12.04 Mips while transfers have dropped to about 3.912.597. Does this mean that it is better not to install these packages?

• Most MMU use cases are for development. The Amiga happily lives without an MMU - especially our ACA12xx cards, which all have a simple 0-delay memory mapper for the Kickstart, so you don't take a performance hit if you want to map a Kickstart in RAM.

While Thor's MMU libraries are perfect from a software development point of view, I consider them more problematic than helpful, as 99% of Amiga software is not MMU-aware and may act up if certain memory areas can't be accessed. So if you don't need the MMU for a specific application, it's better not to use the libs.

Jens

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.