Bricked ACA500Plus

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Jens,

I've bricked my ACA500Plus. I accidently plugged it in with the power on and since then it doesn't work. I get a brief flash of the dismo, then a purple light, then nothing. If I press the reset button on the dismo when booting then I get 0. appear on the dismo screen.

I take full responsibility for this.;( In my defence though, I never realised that the power LED on that particular a500 only works intermittently.

I know you will ask so just to let you know that I was using an original A500 PSU (4.5amp version) on a rev 8a (500 originally, now converted to 500+).

I would really like it fixed if possible and happy to pay for it. It will be out of warranty and this was my mistake. I was going to just buy a new one but with the stupidity of the UK leaving the EU I think you still don't send to us? I don't blame you!

Thanks

Johnny

• If I press the reset button on the dismo when booting then I get 0. appear on the dismo screen.

That's not the full procedure to get to de-brick mode.

You press and hold the DisMo button until you see the "0_" blink, then you execute a keyboard reset (CTRL-A-A). The computer *should* come up as if no ACA500plus is connected. You can then run the ADF of the last update - that's not just a menu update, but also the de-brick disk.

If you're lucky, it's only flash contents that were garbled. If not, a Xilinx chip may have died.

We do make shipments to the UK, but UPS charges insane amounts for shipping, and then charges you the import VAT, plus handling fees on top. Let's see if you can get it back to work with the de-brick procedure. Think positive :-)

Jens

• Ah, nice one. Thanks, I will try that.

Would be great if I can fix it without needing to get into the realms of international postage. Unfortunately I will need to do my day job for the moment but will hopefully have time to look at it later.

Much appreciated!

J

• I guess that shipping is still less expensive than buying a new one. And shipping it back could include a few more things, so the pain won't be that big.

Check out this thread for hints on how to return stuff for service.

Jens

• Hi Jens,

I contacted DHL and this was the message I received

"

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for writing to us.

Your shipment has been delivered to the local customs office on 08.02.2024.

The recipient should received a notification letter with a so-called PÜB number. With the information provided in the letter and PÜB number he can pick up your shipment at the customs office.

The storage period for parcel shipments at customs office is 9 calendar days from the date of issue of the notification letter. If the shipment is not collected within this period, it will be returned to the sender.

Notice:

Since the shipment was handed over to customs office, the recipient must pick up the shipment in person and possibly provide further proof. The processes between German Customs and the recipient of the shipment are beyond our knowledge and tracking systems, so that we cannot provide any further status after handed over to customs office."

Not sure if you received any letter or not?

If there is duty to pay or anything I can do from here can you pass on the information?

Really sorry for the hassle.

J

• As discussed via eMail, the card is here, and since you clearly didn't give me the OK to spend (travel-)time to the customs office, I can't charge you for that.

It'll be repaired when there's a free time slot for the workshop employees, and anything that will cause any cost will need your approval before it happens.

Jens