Indivision AGA MK3 - Is it Repairable?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • HI Jens,

I recently acquired a faulty Indivision AGA Mk3 for free on Amibay - it had a faulty video signal with lines/ interference, and an intermittent grey screen. On inspection, I noticed that one corner of the socket was cracked. The hope was that, with replacement socket, I may be able to get it to work.

With the help of a friend of mine, we replaced the socket, and made the necessary adjustments to it so it would fit securely over the chip on the motherboard.

Unfortunately, as we clearly weren't paying attention, we soldered the socket to the wrong side of the board :(.

Not realising our error until it was too late, we connected the Indivision to the motherboard, powered on, and of course there was no signal at all (the Amiga was actually unresponsive with it attached in this way).

So we disconnected, realised our error, then removed and replaced the socket to the correct side of the board and tried again. Unfortunately, we appear to have "bricked" the board, although with it connected the Amiga came back to life (so no damage done, thankfully).

In your expert opinion, have we effectively killed the board, or is there a chance it is repairable? I'm guessing it's dead, but thought I would check with you just in case!

Many thanks in advance,

AndrewC

• The most likely candidate for being killed is the Xilnx CPLD. If you have the equipment, you should check if the output voltage(s) of the regulators are OK: The one near the corner of the Lisa socket should output 3.3V. The two near the CPLD/RAM should output 1.25V and 1.8V.

If the 3.3V output is too low and the CPLD gets hot, that's a good hint.

For anything more, I'd have to make a drawing about what signal went where, and TBH, that would take too much time and make the repair more expensive than a new unit. If you make a list of the false-target pins for GND and VCC, we have a good idea of what went pop.

Jens

• There are 2 VCC connections on the Lisa socket. I'd check where those went in case of reversing the socket, and follow the signals. The good news is that the FOGA does not have any direct connection to the Lisa socket, so the most expensive part is most likely still OK (but may need a re-flow, given your initial error description). Other chips that have direct connection are LVTTL chips: Very affordable and not complicated to exchange.

I may be totally off with my assumtion that the VCC lines have caused the main damage - it's just an educated guess at this point.

Jens