P96 Driver Development suggestion, gbi_SetSwitch. User defined ENVARC: MonitorSwitch scripts, programs

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Many "graphic.card" (emulators or not) "libraries"/drivers don't come with a function to Switch VGA pass-through.
    Would it make sense to make a ENVARC: variable, e.g. "Setenv SAVE XYZGraphicCard-on S:XYZ-On" and "Setenv SAVE XYZGraphicCard-Off S:XYZ-Off" or something similar?
    Those control programs/scripts could of course switch input via RS-232, IR etc., whatever is at hand.

Those ENVARC: programs/scripts should somehow be tied to STRUCTURE BoardInfo -> APTR gbi_SetSwitch.

A lot of people using a single monitor, must be very distressed, switching monitor input manually all the time. A ENVARC: or something similar could maybe solve that?
    In the meantime I'll write a half-ugly patch to try the concept out. I'm using an old LG-TV with Composite, S-VHS, Component, VGA and HDMI input all selectable via an RS-232 connection.

It would essentially enable user/3rd party Monitor Switches "after the facts".
    Thanks for still keeping the dream alive :)

Tommy

• P96 already has the software-means to toggle VGA switches. Our Indivision products take advantage of that, and can switch off the sync signals in order to tell a monitor to switch to another input. I see no reason why the same software method shouldn't be used by external switches.

Jens