Indivision AGA mk2 DVI to HDMI

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I’ve been using my indivision aga mk2 successfully for a number of years with a dvi cable. Thanks for a great product Jens.

I recently bought a KVM switch to make it easier to use the Amiga with my other computers. This KVM has hdmi ports so I decided to use a DVI to HDMI cable.

When using this cable I get a blurry image though. I’ve tried the cable directly to my monitor and also verified that the cable works with my PC.

• It's possible that the KVM switch does not amplify the signal, but just puts analogue switches in. Or it does some digital interpretation and can't deal with DVI-only signals?

If you have verified the cable to be OK, and Indivision AGA MK2 produces a picture with that monitor, then the KVM switch is at fault. All I can say is that the signals from our flicker fixers comply with the standard.

Jens

• Hi Jens,

I've tested it without the KVM switch and the result is the same. Amiga <-> Monitor.

Is there potentially differences between cables when it comes to DVI-I to HDMI conversion?

The cable I'm using is:

HDMI to DVI Adapter, Cable, 1.8M, Snowkids HDMI DVI Adapter Cable (Latest Standard) with 1080P High Speed Full HD 24+1DVI to HDMI Adapter, Bi-Directional Converter, Support 3D, DVI D to HDMI

BR,

Philip

• I've tested it without the KVM switch and the result is the same. Amiga <-> Monitor.

That sounds like a bad cable. Nothing that we can do anything about - many (if not all) cables are made in China, not fully tested, and depending on the brand, they may get fancy labels and cool descriptions. Neither price, nor brand or looks are an indicator for quality. Even if you're willing to pay an arm and a leg for a cable, you still appear to be the first person ever to actually use it.

Jens

• Hi Jens,

so if I understand you correctly, any dvi to hdmi cable (of quality) should be sufficient?

The only thing the cable does is passthrough of one digital signal to another. There is no signal transformation needed between dvi and hdmi that could be the cause of this issue?

Do you happen to be able to recommend a decent cable?

ps. I did test the cable with my pc and it works with that

Best regards,

Philip

• The only thing the cable does is passthrough of one digital signal to another. There is no signal transformation needed between dvi and hdmi that could be the cause of this issue?

Right - HDMI is a superset of DVI signalling, and the specific DVI solution on Indivision AGA MK2 has a pixel clock limit of 135MHz, whereas the HDMI standard has it's limit at 165MHz.

Do you happen to be able to recommend a decent cable?

Sorry - as outlined above, I have no idea how to identify "quality" in this "i want it cheaper!" environment that has bult up over the past 20+ years.

Jens