Start up screen corruption

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • You are using an SHires resolution, but the standard output mode is 800x600 for best monitor compatibility. Just run the config tool and start using higher resolutions, that will produce higher resolutions.

Jens

• I have a Dell U2410, which didn’t perform well with the scaler in low resolution PAL and NTSC modes (games). I’m not an expert by any means, but I believe that LCD monitors are primarily meant to display their standard recommended resolution. They are not as versatile as CRT’s with differing resolutions.

I found that a non widescreen LCD monitor with a 1280 x 1024 recommended resolution looks the best in low res PAL as it’s a 5:4 resolution. It also looks good with HighGFX screen modes (SHires).

I have tracked down several of the monitors that people have raved about, which display a native 15khz signal, but I found that the Indivision beats the native mode every time. The Dell U2410 is one of those monitors.

I wish there was a way to exactly match the color display of a 1084 monitor as the LCD colors are slightly off. I have a 1084 connected to the native display along with the scaler display so the difference is more obvious to compare.

• I wish there was a way to exactly match the color display of a 1084 monitor as the LCD colors are slightly off. I have a 1084 connected to the native display along with the scaler display so the difference is more obvious to compare.

Colour space conversion was actually on the "nice to have" list for the developments of Indivision AGA MK3 and Indivision ECS V3, but it turned out to take more resources than we anticipated. I don't see a mass-produced product anytime soon that implements such a feature, especially because there is no wide agreement about the actual changes needed to mimic the colours of a CRT. Heck, even measurement methods are more than hard to define, as we found out!

Jens

• I personally *love* the old Samsung 1600x1200 monitors, as they are natively 4:3. However, the Syncmaster 214T is hard to come by: The power supply fails often with dry electrolytic caps, and people just throw it away instead of offering them on the used market. I was lucky enough to get two defective ones last year, repaired them with a total material cost of around 3,- EUR (combined), and I can encourage everyone to do the same :-)

Jens

• I think so, give it a try. Use 1280 x 1024 for PAL and set the scaler resolution to 640 x 512. Don’t worry about overscan.

Sorry mate, this is all new to me. I’ve even looked at the instructions and I’m still stumped! Do I use workbench screen resolution and the indivision tool? Sorry again. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Please do take the time to read the Wiki documentation. Yes, it can be confusing at first, because the term "resolution" is used often, and in different context.

Once you get a grip on "output resolution" (the one that Indivision produces and sends to the monitor) and "Amiga resolution" (the screenmode you are setting in Workbench), it'll come together pretty quickly. Essentially, the Indivision Config tool will let you map an Amiga resolution to an output resolution.

Jens

• You need to read the wiki a number of times and then reference the example provided to become familiar with the tool.

I’m using this same monitor. I am unable to use vsync, but with double buffering I have a great PAL resolution set at 640x512 at 1280x1024 50Hz with very little screen tearing. I use this resolution for my Workbench as well as the SHires modes generate much more heat, which I prefer not to subject 30 year old hardware with no heat sinks or air cooling fans to.

You can copy the EDID 1280x1024 60 Hz VGA mode and lower the pixel clock to achieve 50 Hz.

I use the Shadow of the Beast game intro where text is scrolling and Flashtro’s cracktro for War Zone (Core) for screen tearing reference.

• but certain programs do this? 🤷🏻‍♂️

This screenmode is indeed weird: It has >1000 pixels on the X-axis, but a horizontal frequency of 27.64kHz. Since you are trying to map this screen to a lower-resolution screen, this is doomed to fail. Could it be that you still ahve a screen promoter running that makes the old GVP program open a non-standard screen mode? I'd expect these old programs to only open a standard PAL or NTSC screen.

In any case, you should be able to get that screen to the right proportions with live config. If you then go back to the config tool, it'll notify you about unsaved changes.

Jens

• I had a similar issue with Sysinfo. There is no way to set a screenmode in Sysinfo, that I could tell. It kept opening a double pal screenmode which looked like your half screen output.

I removed the double pal modes from the monitors directory to eliminate the issue. Relocate any screenmodes that you don’t plan on using out of the monitors drawer to the storage drawer.

• Colour space conversion was actually on the "nice to have" list for the developments of Indivision AGA MK3 and Indivision ECS V3, but it turned out to take more resources than we anticipated. I don't see a mass-produced product anytime soon that implements such a feature, especially because there is no wide agreement about the actual changes needed to mimic the colours of a CRT. Heck, even measurement methods are more than hard to define, as we found out!

Jens

Hi Jens,

Have you seen the Quake 2 Remaster on Steam? The settings offer a CRT emulation mode, which looks really good. I have also seen a lot of progress with the Mega-Bezel Scaler Project on Retroarch. They have almost perfected the look of a CRT. Could something like this be done for the MK4?

Being able to compare the 1084 with a LCD display emulating a CRT would be the only thing left to accomplish with the scaler. Will OLED monitors make it more feasible?

• I had a similar issue with Sysinfo. There is no way to set a screenmode in Sysinfo, that I could tell. It kept opening a double pal screenmode which looked like your half screen output.

I removed the double pal modes from the monitors directory to eliminate the issue. Relocate any screenmodes that you don’t plan on using out of the monitors drawer to the storage drawer.

Brilliant!! That worked! 👍🏻

• Could something like this be done for the MK4?

We're not planning any new version of the flicker fixer(s). What you're referring to is shader-based emulation output, which has no other choice than adding lag, because a full frame needs to be processed to be able to calculate the stretching/bulging of the CRT. This is nothing we actually *want* to achieve, as low-latency is top priority.

The idea of having static graphics in the left/right borders is a nice one. While we don't have space for that left in the flash, we may be able to "fake" something on the existing MK3 hardware - I'll talk to Peter about that.

Jens