Buddha invalid RDB

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello guys!

I have bought buddha IDE recently and installed it - PIC1.

I was trying to install a CD-rom connected to it and the software graphics were really messy.

I could not recognize what was what - have no picture but it looks like the second screen rewrite the first and both of them were visible.

I have seen my CD-ROM and the DOM. I clicked on the CD but nothing happened. Button Installed seemed to be blocked.

After restart DOM has disappeared. I downloaded the Buddha restore and scan sees DOM 131 MB but invalid RDB.

Jens replied: Seems like you've written to the DOM - bad idea. Anyway, the Restore/Update archive is the right thing, as it will also restore the

RDB. There's even a bootable version, in case you want to use a floppy or Gotek drive.

I used floppy and booted PIC2. I was trying to update PIC3. So I restored PIC4. Still invalid RDB PIC5.

I have tried to flash PIC6, it ended OK but the problem remains.

Jens replied: There's the current version with CD support "out of the box". If that didn't work for you, it's very likely that the CD drive wasn't actually

installed on your boot partition.

Me: Do I understand correctly buddha should recognize CD-ROM without any install? Seems it did in scan without any problem.

I was trying to instal CDFS and playing with OS3.2 install boot CD etc. but without success.

My configuration: A2000 4.0 board, RGBtoHDM+PI0, Pistorm2K+PI3 040.

Thank you for your kind help.

• Why do people create technical support threads in the News and Announcements Forum? Every time I see that there are posts I first ponder, could this be an announcement for the 040 accelerator? Maybe there is an update on the ReAmiga 1200? Or perhaps it could be that the only truly engineered power supply will be made available for 120V power sources?

No, sorry, it’s only a technical support question being made in the wrong forum once again.

• - What you describe as "software messy" could be a graphics refresh issue with OS3.2. Do you have the possibility to use ROM 3.1 during installation? This is what I'd suggest for various reasons, at least with our installer (see the README for a more lengthy explanation).

- That the CDROM is listed in the menu, but cannot be clicked, is as expected. This is just for information and for you to identify the devices. When installation with our installer is successful, the CDROM support should be installed in the system, and you can activate it with the device icons in SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers (and move the appropriate icon to SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers if everything works as expected.)

- This message "device needs updating" in itself is pretty harmless. This is equivalent to the update that HDToolbox complains about when a device has been added or removed, or the order changed. The idea behind this was that in times with slowly spinning up harddisks the time for searching bootable devices could be reduced. It's some kind of "software-side bus termination". Other tools like HDToolbox should be affected and complain in the same way.

The question remains why the update with our software didn't work.

Indeed, an installation is not needed for CDROM support. You can also activate a CDROM by clicking the appropriate device icon in Storage/DOSDrivers. (However, for this to work, the system must have access to BuddhaCDSupport/L/CacheCDFS. So if you haven't installed a system with our installer or didn't boot from the DOM, you need to copy CacheCDFS to SYS:L .)

• Hi Timm, thank you very much for the answer. :thumbup:

I downloaded cache cdfs from IndCom support. Put cachecdfs into L, prefs into prefs and cd rom cd0 device into devs/dosdrives.

I had to correct in devs CD0 from 7 to 0 and it started working! :saint:^^

Additional question: I have ordered CF with IDE connector. Will I be able to plug in also without install?

Thank you very much for your support! Your explanation was great. Now I understand more. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Love your products guys :love:

• Additional question: I have ordered CF with IDE connector. Will I be able to plug in also without install?

I believe you mean an adapter from IDE to CF? If so, the CF card will be treated like a harddrive. This won't work without at least using HDToolbox to partition the drive. Since you will most likely use media that's larger then 4GB, I recommend either using our installer, or to use the latest AmigaOS version, as that supports partitioning larger media out of the box. Hint: We have Amiga OS 3.2 in stock.

Jens

• Hi guys, I have a problem with CF setup on Buddha.

HDtoolbox sees CF, reads CF, I define drive type as SCSI, read it, safe configuration, make partition, safe, restart.

And I can do everything again. The setup is not saved on CF and it looks like as new again.

I have OS3.2, CF4GB, tested on HDtoolbox and HDinsttools. :/

I have run buddha scan and it shows device 0 flash 4.206MB: invalid RDB

• I have done this exercise:

2 CFs 4GB, 2CFtoIDE devices

I have prepared both CFs in WinUAE without any problem for FFS. I have tried both CFs in A1200 if they are OK (read, write, format) – they are. I have tried both CFs in 1st reader with Buddha PRI (in SEC CD connected working) in A2000 the disk did not appear. CF reader set as master connected to the first position on the cable. I removed data cable from SEC (CD), the disk appeared. I tried to format it, format starts but failing on Initializing disk with a system prompt: Format failure – not a valid DOS disk. The same behaviour with the second reader and with the second CF and vice versa.

Power source is connected from 250W ATX source. Interesting was, when I unplugged the power source all behaviours was the same :D so I probably do not need to add power to the reader – IDE power is enough.

The “scan” program for buddha looks just fine with both CF cards and both readers.

I have ended with this configuration:

Clear CF in PC DiskPart, DriveType + Partition and file system set in WinUAE, it appeared on buddha (doesn’t matter position on data cable, doesn’t matter which CF reader or CF card, or PRI or SEC in buddha) I can read from CF, I cannot write on CF, I cannot successfully format CF.

=O

• Hi, just an idea: would it be any helpful to convert 12V from atx source molex to 5,2 to have more than 5V?

It's not about the voltage itself, it's about regulation accuracy. The goal is to have 5.0V at the main board and the components, no matter what load is drawn.

I don't think your CF card problems are related to "a few tenths of a volt off", but they are related to "CF card does not get any power at all". You should measure the voltage at the very connector you're using for the CF card adapter, and also take a very close look at the adapter itself to make sure that it's passing that power to the CF card. If you have a camera, please set it to macro photo (usually depicted with a flower) and post pictures of the top and bottom of the adapter, maybe I can see something.

Jens

• Both CF card adapters have the power pin removed from the 40-pin connector, so you MUST install a power cable on the white 4-pin connector.

Please understand that we have to stop support here - the Buddha controller does work, and you have trouble with an adapter that you've bought at AmigaKit. Please understand that we don't do support for products that we did not produce.

Further, your A2000a uses an accelerator that does not have a real 680x0 CPU (looks like an emulator). This is also nothing that we can support. With your successful CD-Rom installation, you've shown that the controller itself is in perfect order. What you are now dealing with is components and products that create an incompatibility. We can't possibly go that far in product support for such a low-cost product.

Jens