Buddha OS 3.2 CF 4GB Fat32 - How to access Compact Flash FAT32?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Buddha OS 3.2 CF 4GB Fat32 - How to access Compact Flash FAT32?

Amiga 2000 GVP030 SCSI 2MB Chip 4MB Fast 4MB 32bit

Buddha (rom52-101.lha) and two adapter set for CF master ID0 and ID2 cards.

How do I access a FAT32 formatted card? Please guide me step by step because I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. I do it in short. By formatting the card to FAT32 and copying the fat95 file for OS 3.2. It doesn't work or I don't know how to do it. I have a working and well configured Buddy adapter. I run each card under each system and the computer itself starts on OS 3.2 from CF cards. Cards are also seen in WB1.3. Thank you

• How to access Compact Flash FAT32?

You may be able to do this if you are an Amiga expert (create a mount list and mount manually), but generally this is not in the realm of support for this controller.

I suggest you use an actual CD-Rom drive to get the data into your Amiga, or copy the files using an emulator on the PC side (WinUAE can access CF cards and use Amiga-formated cards).

Please understand that we can't do this level of support for such a low-cost product.

Jens

• It is a bit pointless that such a function has been omitted, and it is one of the most important, which allows you to transfer data directly from any computer to the Amiga, bypassing the emulator and all configuration. CD is such a replacement but who has a cd-rom in this type of computer. in general, the CD media is less convenient for data transfer.

• Below is a failed attempt to mount a Compact Flash card. The CF card is visible in the buddha controller and in the partition setup program. Indicates that the drive is mounted but not visible on the workbench. I edited the CF0 file along with the icon as both compactflash.device buddha.device and scsi.device with no success. Please help me what am I doing wrong and how to get to the fat32 card from the fat95 library. Thank you.

• It is a bit pointless that such a function has been omitted, and it is one of the most important, which allows you to transfer data directly from any computer to the Amiga,

You might have misunderstood what the Buddha controller is: It's a mass-storage controller for IDE devices. Even if it had it's own CF slot, I would NOT offer mounting a FAT-formatted CF card, as it would incentivize users to keep the computer open and fiddle with a CF card all the time. That's not what Buddha is built for, hence I won't support it. Further, this has never been in the product description, and to be honest, in 26 years of existence of this controller and it's predecessors, I haven't heard of anyone mounting a FAT-formatted CF card, when this brings more drawbacks than advantages (such as non-working file attributes).

For a one-time large data transfer, this might be a way, but again, please don't expect this level of support for such a low-cost product. Instead, do the reading yourself: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fat95

Jens

• This is what I mean by uploading a large file or multiple files. Files are always packed and it doesn't matter for attributes. It does not unpack files on a system other than the one it is recommended to run on. The attributes can include the date of the files themselves. So attributes can be lost even when copying files on an Amiga computer, so I'm not convinced by this thesis.

• iles are always packed and it doesn't matter for attributes. It does not unpack files on a system other than the one it is recommended to run on.

This is a basic rule that a lot of people just don't follow, and it causes a lot of support work. I choose not to do that, hence my recommendation to use network for data transfer.

So attributes can be lost even when copying files on an Amiga computer, so I'm not convinced by this thesis.

If you unpack an LHA file on the Amiga, the s-protection bit is *always* preserved, and that's what matters for our support.