BigRAM+ is Slower than Motherboard RAM?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I added the 256MB Bigram + to my Amiga 4000D with Buster v11. I removed all but the Motherboard Chip Ram Module. Once I powered on my Amiga, I noticed the boot process time took much longer than usual. Though Workbench does report 256MB of RAM, running AIBB's Memory Test, the resulting speed is only 75% of the A4000's Motherboard Memory access speed. Is this normal? Just want to make sure so I know there aren't any unknown issues lurking in my A4000. Thanks.

• Searching online, the Z3 bus isn't very fast, as far as what ideal memory speed requirements go. The A4000's Motherboard Memory bus access speed is indeed faster than the Z3 address space. I installed the 16 MB of onboard memory along with the BigRAM Plus. I imagine this would be the original setup most users would have.

• Right, onboard memory is faster than Z3, and accelerator memory is even faster. It all depends on how many hops an access must take over bus interface bridges.

Jens

• Indeed, Unfortunately very few Accelerator cards fore the Amiga 4000 have onboard memory. I recently purchased a BFG 9060 with 128MB of RAM. Well, at least it had 128 MB on the first boot. Now it's only 64MB of RAM. One bank of RAM simply left the building. I hope you can make something for the A4000 soon your hardware is well designed and much more reliable :)