Buddha 20th ed on A2000 with Blizzard 2060

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I am having basic trouble setting up the Buddha 20th ed. I have a 4GB CF card on the phase 5 Blizzard 2060 SCSI bus. All I want to do is install an IDE CD rom drive through the Buddha.
    In the BuddhaCDSupport folder (DOM drive) is a FindDevice. The 2060scsi.device and CF card are shown, as well as the buddhascsi.device and the DOM. I have a Plextor CD drive set to slave that is not shown. It appears that the InstallBuddha script is for installing a hard drive, which I do not want to do.

I am sure I am missing some very basic setup instructions. I see that the CacheCDFS comes on the DOM, but I don't know what to do with it. Pop it in the Workbench L: directory? Is there anything else that needs to be modified?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

• Basically just CacheCDFS from BuddhaCDSupport:L/ and mountlist entries in Storage/DOSDrivers.

The first goes to SYS:L, the second to SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/ .

In addition to that, you can copy CDFSPrefs to SYS:Prefs/ .

There's not much magic in what the installer does.

• Thanks for the response, Timm.

I followed your directions carefully, and get a black screen at startup when the CDrom is set to Master (the CDrom drive is alone on the IDE bus).

For clarification, the mountlist entries go in "Storage" and not "Devs"?

I should also state that I am on AmigaOS 3,1 Do you need IDEFix97 or something? Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding instructions at all on OS 3.1 and CDrom drives using CacheCDFS.

Thanks for your patience, I am fairly new to Amiga.

Chris

• It appears that I can get the CD to read, but it is very strange. I moved the mountlist to DEVS/DosDrivers. I start the machine and the screen is black, computer unresponsive. If I do a Ctrl-A-A soft reboot after that, the computer boots to workbench with 4 errors: "Cannot open "buddhascsi.device" unit X" where is X is 0, 1, 2, and 3 in each respective error window.

When I insert a CD, it is read!! Although, errors appear when you open the volume: "Volume AmigaOS3.9 has a read/write error." Which is strange b/c I am running 3.1 (but I know CacheCDFS was shipped with 3.9). If I hit retry, more icons appear in the window, and then the same error. Hit retry, more icons appear and then the error. It is as if the read speed or timing is not in synch.

Anyways, I'm sure I am not doing this right. Appreciate your help!

Chris

• I recommend that the mountlist entries go to Storage first. Then, when the right ones are working and do what you want, you _can_ move the respective entries to Devs for mounting them on system boot. As long as you're having problems, please park them in Storage, now, and also other devices in Devs/DOSDrivers that look like they might be CD-related.

Then, please perform a version check on CacheCDFS:

# version full file L:CacheCDFS

BuddhaCacheCDFS 60.5

It looks like something else is installed with regard to CDs. Please try to identify things in Devs/DOSDrivers, WBStartup and S:User-Startup that might interfere, and move them out of the way. There is no "3.9" related text supposed to appear with Buddha's basic CD support. The basic support requires only buddhascsi.device (in memory, from the controller itself), L:CacheCDFS and the right mountlist entries. The tools in BuddhaCDSupport are useful, but optional.

• Thanks again,

The version that is listed is indeed 60.5. My Devs/DOSDrivers only contains PIPE, the WBStartup is completely empty. It is a relatively new and clean install of OS 3.1.

The only file I can find that looks anything like a CD entry is one called "CD0" in SYS:L/Dev/DOSdriver. Removing this makes no difference. Still black screens.

I do not have a "user-startup" file in S:. Only "startup-sequence." I can post this if it would be helpful.

I tried both IDE channels, Master and Slave settings. Same result.

I've posted my problem at EAB as well. I'm kindat a loss on what to try next!

Chris

• I tried placing the Buddha in several different Zorro slots with the same outcome. If I remove the Compact Flash card, and leave the buddha in, I still get a black screen. If I leave the buddha in but remove the IDE cable connected to the CD rom, the kickstart screen appears after a minute or so.

I think the Buddha is waiting for a signal from a hard drive, and stalling the startup. I only have the CD rom attached, I do not want to connect the CF card to the IDE bus. The card is either not working or set up appropriately.

Chris

• Is there anything that needs to go in startup-sequence, or any additional mount files? I've tried a couple different CD rom drives- same result.

I am also a bit concerned, does the jumper need to be set to supply power to the DOM? My Buddha is reading the DOM with and without power (both jumper closed and open). Is it at all possible that there is something wrong insofar as the Buddha is supplying power to the IDE CD rom even when the jumper is open??

Thank you for your help, I don't know what to try next. It seems there are several folks reporting problems with CDroms and the 20th ed buddha card.

Chris

• Is there anything that needs to go in startup-sequence, or any additional mount files?

The DOM does require power, which is supplied with the jumper, but for reading only, the (rather low) power from all the signal lines aeems to be good enough for operation. You'll run into trouble when attempting to write to the DOM, but you shouldn't do that anyway :-)

Is it at all possible that there is something wrong insofar as the Buddha is supplying power to the IDE CD rom even when the jumper is open??

Removing the jumper creates a large gap between the actual power supply and the IDE port. There is no way that power can pass through the IDE port if the corresponding jumper is removed.

It is very well possible that the drives you have there are all not compliant with the ATA-X3T9 Atapi standard. All that cheap PC stuff is mostly developed to work in "the standard config", and that used to be "slave to a master harddrive on the same cable". Try a different drive - the older, the better. Don't expect any IDE-to-SATA adapters to work, as I haven't found a single one that is compliant (we do have one positive report in this forum, though).

Also, if you have a pure CD drive (not DVD, not a writer), chances are higher that it's really an Atapi compliant drive.

Jens

• Hi,

I'm planing to purchase and use the Buddha controller in my A1200 Z4 Board. It looks like DOM modules are not easy to find and a bit pricey.

I don't need much storage capacity though. Could it work using a Delock IDE<->SATA converter with a SSD drive attached (the converter does well in any of my PCs so far)?

(search satkit IDE auf SATA oder SATA auf IDE Konverter) {red pcb autoswitching}

Or should I rather go by IDE->CF converter?

Kind regards,

Patrick

• I'm planing to purchase and use the Buddha controller in my A1200 Z4 Board.

You might be in for a positive surprise, as the current Buddha version supports the Fast-Z4 mode.

It looks like DOM modules are not easy to find and a bit pricey.

I don't need much storage capacity though.

Most DOMs are nothing more than CF cards with a different form factor. You might as well use a CF card and an IDE to CF card adapter.

Could it work using a Delock IDE<->SATA converter with a SSD drive attached (the converter does well in any of my PCs so far)?

While there are a few reports of a SATA adapter working on the Buddha controller, I personally haven't found one that's compatible. I would not recommend it, especially because the option with a CF card is cheaper.

Jens