Turbo Chameleon V1

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I am now the happy owner of a C64 MK2 reloaded with a new TC2. Still learning

Now when the turbo chameleon V1 came out I bought it, used it for a short while and then this happened. (see image)

I did ask for support at the reseller (amikit) but was not given any, exept for the note to ask support elsewhere.

I wonder should I finally tos this out, or is there any way to save it? It does exactly the same with C64, standalone, different c64.. It is always waiting for key release,

I already asked this question a few times, thouh lot of fora where quite helpfull, we did not manage to resolve the issue.

• I did update the core, the date was changed. The picture indeed has the older core. I'll give my laptop a fresh charge and hook it up. I did not know I could launch a different core using chaco. I'll test this.

• The HW test core does not test the bridge to the C64, which is where I'd suspect the fault. In any case, if it's a hardware fault, it can of course be repaired.

Jens

• The HW test core does not test the bridge to the C64, which is where I'd suspect the fault. In any case, if it's a hardware fault, it can of course be repaired.

Jens

Hmm - maybe my memory's playing tricks on me - I thought the HW test core scanned the C64 keyboard matrix and joystick ports?

• I can flash cores, the C64 core in any slot is stil waiting for key release. When I flash the minimig core I get to the kick rom 3.2, and try to use c64 keyboard like with the TC V2, but shortcut to get into the minimig menu does not work. I don't have a PS/2 keyboard / mouse at this point.

• The hardware test core mainly tests memory, which is what the green left-to-right-bar is showing. The red green and blue colour transitions are for judging if anything on the D-A converter for VGA is wrong, and the write dots at the bottom will show a diagnoal pattern if the testing cable harness is connected (which we do during QC, but that harness is not available as a product).

So the main functions of your Chameleon appear to work OK, and you can continue testing with a PS2 keyboard - it may already do what you want it to, as a stand-alone device, saving some shipping and repair cost.

Jens

• I don't see in the wiki how the hardware test should run, but this is the only thing I get with the green bar from left to right.

Interestingly, the hardware test core has been developed a bit more since the binary release that's downloadable from the Wiki - the current source on github does support reading the C64 keyboard matrix, so it might be interesting to try it on your V1.

I just compiled the current source (for V1 - don't try this on V2 hardware!) and attached the result.

(If anyone specially wants a version for V2 hardware too just let me know.)

• The hardware test core mainly tests memory, which is what the green left-to-right-bar is showing. The red green and blue colour transitions are for judging if anything on the D-A converter for VGA is wrong, and the write dots at the bottom will show a diagnoal pattern if the testing cable harness is connected (which we do during QC, but that harness is not available as a product).

So the main functions of your Chameleon appear to work OK, and you can continue testing with a PS2 keyboard - it may already do what you want it to, as a stand-alone device, saving some shipping and repair cost.

Jens

OK, Thanks I'll try to fetch as soon as possible a ps2/keyb mouse, it is to wel packed away currently, I notice they sell on amazon.

• Interestingly, the hardware test core has been developed a bit more since the binary release that's downloadable from the Wiki - the current source on github does support reading the C64 keyboard matrix, so it might be interesting to try it on your V1.

I just compiled the current source (for V1 - don't try this on V2 hardware!) and attached the result.

(If anyone specially wants a version for V2 hardware too just let me know.)

I noticed on the right you can test the ports like joystick they test out OK. The keyboard tests out ok mostly, but the one and two key not and also the key combination to bring up the minimig menu does not show. However this C64 keyboard works fine standalone or with the TCV2.

• I noticed on the right you can test the ports like joystick they test out OK. The keyboard tests out ok mostly, but the one and two key not and also the key combination to bring up the minimig menu does not show. However this C64 keyboard works fine standalone or with the TCV2.

Interesting - are any of the squares in the keyboard grid permanently toggled? (I was expecting there to be either a complete row or column that was compromised.)

If 1, 2 and <- don't work, do the Commodore Key, Control, Space, Run/Stop and Q in particular also fail? (Those are the other five keys that have a bit in common with 1, 2 and <-)

• OK, Thanks I'll try to fetch as soon as possible a ps2/keyb mouse, it is to wel packed away currently, I notice they sell on amazon.

The hardware test core mainly tests memory, which is what the green left-to-right-bar is showing. The red green and blue colour transitions are for judging if anything on the D-A converter for VGA is wrong, and the write dots at the bottom will show a diagnoal pattern if the testing cable harness is connected (which we do during QC, but that harness is not available as a product).

Jens

Well I only tried the minimig core it works perfectly, without real C64 ps/2 keyboard and mouse work fine, i tried a shell nothing to tell really just like winuae.

But when I plug it in the C64 I loose keyboard / mouse ps/2.

• Interesting - are any of the squares in the keyboard grid permanently toggled? (I was expecting there to be either a complete row or column that was compromised.)

If 1, 2 and <- don't work, do the Commodore Key, Control, Space, Run/Stop and Q in particular also fail? (Those are the other five keys that have a bit in common with 1, 2 and <-)

Sorry for the delay, I have only one retro desk for all machines.. The key's you mention don't work. I don't understand the grid, so here is a screenshot. When PS/2 mouse/keyboard is plugged in the I have none left working on the C64 keyboard / PS2 keyboard mouse.. Standalone it the minimig core works perfectly and the C64 core does not wait for keys to be released ant the interface is usable.

• Sorry for the delay, I have only one retro desk for all machines.. The key's you mention don't work. I don't understand the grid, so here is a screenshot. When PS/2 mouse/keyboard is plugged in the I have none left working on the C64 keyboard / PS2 keyboard mouse.. Standalone it the minimig core works perfectly and the C64 core does not wait for keys to be released ant the interface is usable.

No need to apologise! But that's a very interesting result!

The keyboard grid corresponds to the C64 keyboard matrix (http://sta.c64.org/cbm64kbdlay.html) but it's transposed, so rows in the matrix become columns in the grid and vice versa. Your non-working keys should be the rightmost column of the grid, so I was expecting to see that column "stuck" in the "on" state - but it's not. Instead you have the bottom row "stuck" - and that's the reason for the "Waiting for keys released" message.

That row corresponds to the keys: crsr up/down, left shift, X, V, N, comma, slash (and run/stop).

Do any of those keys cause a response in the grid? And does the Enter key toggle the first block in the second row?

Do you have joysticks connected to the C64? (In your screenshot the test is reporting that 2nd and 3rd fire buttons are pressed in both ports) And do you have a IEC device connected to the C64 or the Chameleon?

• I don't have anything hooked up at the joystick ports.

X,V,N respond to joystick port 2 R with ps/2 keyboard plugged in, without it they don't respond anywhere.

ENTER key does toggle the first block in the second row with or without ps/2

Is the loop part of this test? I get looping LED's on the PS/2 and flashing blocks on the test screen when the PS/2 is connected like those cool 90 graphic audio equalizers.