Problem with datassette recorder: motor is always on, can not load game from tape.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,
    I've tried to load game from my Commodore 1530 tape recorder.
    It can not be done, because the motor of recorder stays always ON, so the header of game can not be loaded properly and I have constant "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE" note on screen.
    When I remove Chameleon from cartridge port, everything works excellent, like usual.
    Seems like Chameleon somehow forces datasette's motor to be always ON and there is no motor start/stop processor control...
    Anyone knows how to solve this issue?
    I've tried to change different options in Chameleon's Menu, but still no luck... :(
    Thanks in advance.

• You can of course leave the Chameleon installed and load an "empty" core, this is equivalent to removing it, but without the mechanical stress.

Since the Chameleon replaces the internal CPU, it can't possibly have access to the "real" CPU port in $0001 and $0000. The function of the lower three bits if of course fully implemented, but the upper three bits don't do anything. This has always been the case for any CPU accelerator that has ever been made for the C64.

TAP emulation is currently on the "nice to have"-list, which we'll tacke after the beta phase is over.

Jens

• might I suggest OneLoad64. This is a huge collection with 2000 CRT games. The thing is that lot of the CRTs include the tape loading screens with the loading music. So you get the nostalgia as if you were loading from your tape deck

• Yes,
    yes, turrican, I know about it. :)
    But, it is still not the same experience. ;)
    I hope Jens and his Crew will find the way to implement full .TAP emulation in near future.

• It would be very nice with full TAP emulation for sure. Personally I find that the CRT images that has the TAP loading screen and music is very nostalgic for me and I find it much better than nothing.

With that said, I have a TheC64 (the emulator based remake of the C64) and that one has full TAP support. For me I only loaded a couple of TAP images out of nostalgia and after that I mostly used D64, D81 or CRTs because it's alot more convenient and faster. Just as back in the day I would rather use floppy disks than tape. Only in those cases I didn't have a particular game on floppy I would load the tape version.

But again, I would love to have the full tape emulation feature on my TC64s, even if I would probably end up not using this feature much.

• I have a TheC64 (the emulator based remake of the C64) and that one has full TAP support.

Sure, that's VICE-based, and VICE has gained a lot of compatibility from our research. Anything we've found in the past 15 years of work on the Chameleon went into VICE one way or another. We didn't have part in tape emulation, though.

Jens