Strange Indivision ECS problem

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hey guys,

have owned numerous Indivision scandoublers for years now and never had a single problem with any of them.... until recently.

I have an Indivision ECS Mk 1 - the original. I originally had it in an A500+ with an ACA500 and ACA1232 attached, then an A500+ attached, and have recently built a new TF536 system and transplanted the Indivision ECS into that.

The system comprises:

Fully recapped A500+ with new non-leaking RTC battery.

Kickstart 3.2.2 ROM

Terrible Fire 536 with 32GB CF Card to IDE adapter

Goex Floppy Emulator

1MB Trapdoor ChipRAM Expansion

Cocolino Mouse Adapter (not sure if that is relevant, but just in case)

and of course the Indivision ECS (mk 1) running fw 1.15

The Indivision ECS in question has always worked perfectly and has always given a rock solid, stable and perfect image in all screenmodes.

The problem:

The system works perfectly to begin with, however after a while, and usually after changing screenmodes several times, the Indivision starts taking longer and longer to output a signal the monitor can display. This problem gets worse and worse, but can be quite random.

For instance, upon cold booting the system the Indivision ECS splash screen pops up, then proceeds to show Workbench booting. All good. My Workbench is set to 800x600 Superplus in 8 colours. Then if I run, for instance, a program that opens a 320x200 screenmode the monitor will lose signal for a second or two whilst the Indivision changes, then shows the new screenmode. All good. I can then switch back to Workbench and again it might be anywhere between 1 and 5 seconds for the monitor to stop showing the "no signal" message and display the new screenmode.

The longer the system is running, and the more times I switch from one screenmode to another, the longer it starts taking to display an image - the monitor can show "no signal" for up to two minutes at some points. Numerous times whilst the monitor is showing "no signal" it will suddenly flash black and the "no signal" message will disappear as if it is locking on to the new screenmode.... but then it will go back to the "no signal" message. This can happen 5 or more times at points before the image appears.

I have already ruled out the monitor - I have tried 4 different monitors and all 4 do the exact same thing, absolutely no difference. So it is not the monitor.

I have tried two different power supplies, one is a newly refurbished original A500 PSU, the other is one of those new 55 watt aftermarket PSUs. There is no interference etc on screen at any point (an issue others have found with out of spec PSU's used with the Indivision ECS). Both PSU's make no difference to the issue.

One thing that occurred to me that may be the cause is - the entire system was installed in one of the new A1200net A500 cases, and to make the Indivision ECS VGA output port reach it's mounting point in the case I had to get a custom cable made (by a fellow on Amibay who makes them amongst other items). The new cable is 40cm long, and I then have one of those off the shelf cheap 1m VGA cables connecting it to the monitor. Could the extended length og the cable be creating an issue? Some form of echo causing the system to lose signal lock? I have now ordered a 50cm high quality shielded VGA cable to see if that makes any difference.

Also, it should be noted that ONCE the Indivision is displaying an image on the monitor it is perfectly clear and rock solid stable for as long as that screenmode is being used - it will never lose signal until the screenmode is changed.

EDIT: I do not believe it can be heat released as everything including the Super Denice and Indivision ECS have ceramic heatsinks installed and a small 40mm radial fan located to the right of the Indivision constantly blow air right over it. All chips are cool to the touch.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I thought if I give as many variables and info as possible it would help pinpoint the issue,

Kind regards,

Steven.

• PSU would have been my first impulse, as (if I understood your description right) the problem gets worse the longer the system is switched on. This is typical behaviour of the 55W aftermarket non-Amiga-PSUs that are falsely advertised to be Amiga-compatible. I repeat my general recommendation to send those units back and demand a full refund, including both shipping directions, as the unit was sold with false advertising (i.e. plain illegal).

The re-capped Amiga PSU, what type is it, and how was it adjusted to output the right voltage? Can you measure the 5V rail inside of the A500?

Also, can you take a picture of Indivision ECS with the Denise chip removed? This will show me a few components under the chip and tell me what production run the unit is from. We did have to make adjustments to some units when these bad power supplies came up, and until I realized that it wasn't the fault of Indivision ECS, we've had quite some cost in modifying the flicker fixers. Since the fix is pretty straight-forward, you may try it yourself before opening up your PSU again.

Jens

• Hi Jens,

thanks for the reply. I should have added to my initial post - I have measured the 5v rail inside the A500+ with both power supplies - the refurbed A500 PSU gives 4.89v, the 55w after market supply gives 4.92v.

I am starting to think it iis the extended VGA cable as I have opened the unit up and plugged in the original cable and run the machine now for about 3 hours straight swapping between different screenmodes dozens and dozens of times.... and it is performing perfectly.

I powered down and reinstalled the 40cm cable and low and behold, the problem returns. In addition to the new cable being longer, it has a very loose vga socket and I often have to "wriggle" the vga connector when I first plug in to get a picture.... this can't be helping either I guess. I have some 15 pin DSubs, ribbon cable and connector press so I am going to make another cable with a "firmer" vga connector, see if that makes any difference. and report back.

• I am starting to think it iis the extended VGA cable as I have opened the unit up and plugged in the original cable and run the machine now for about 3 hours straight swapping between different screenmodes dozens and dozens of times.... and it is performing perfectly.

Please double-check that not only GND but also Shield is connected. The original cable has a jumper to the outer shell of the VGA.

Jens

• Okiez. New cable made and system running for several hours with no problems. I think that confirms the issue was the other custom cable. I did a quick continuity test on the custom cable and found that one pin and the shield are suspect. When I say suspect I mean they are connected, but I am not getting good continuity and the continuity changes when you move the cable and/or put pressure on the connector.

So, dodgy cable and nothing at all wrong with the Indivision ECS. Thank you for your assistance Jens and please feel free to mark this thread as resolved.