X-Surf.device and IPX support?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Do you get any specific error message?

The Readme says that it needs a Sana2 driver - that's what the x-surf.device is. However, my question would be: Does Amipx talk to the Sana2 device directly, or does it go through the TCP/IP stack? If it's not the latter, you need to end the TCP/IP stack before you launch Amipx.

Jens

• I don't get any specific error, it just doesn't start.

AmIPX works without a TCP/IP stack and guide says :

AMIPX coexists with...

----------------------

AmiTCP/IP - even on the same network adapter. Should be the case with Envoy and

any TCP/IP stack, since the packet types used by IPX differ from

those of TCP/IP.

I have tested it without a TCP/IP stack, it works with or without AmiTCP version from your shop and PlipBox.device

• Our network drivers are SANA2, and in no way special.

When it just doesn't start, I'd suspect some setup problem.

On our driver's side you might want to try the options

DEBUGLEV 1

to see if the driver gets initialized and if there's some activtity, and

NOAMITCPOPT 1

- just to be sure, shouldn't matter if AmiTCP isn't used.

• This is original X-Surf, DEBUGLEV 1 in ENV:sana2\x-surf.config doesn't seem to do anything?

• Please note that the latest drivers still support the very first X-Surf (10MBit version). Please use the latest version, then Timm's suggestions for debug output will work :-)

• To be clear, I should use driver from this archive X-surf-1.16.lha and driver x-surf. Device

Put ENV:sana2 drawer file x-surf.config or x-surf-100.config?

Open it and add DEBUGLEV 1 to it.

And debug info is displayed through serial?

• I registered to chime in with a bit more information, as I managed to obtain the source code for AmiPX:

https://github.com/gjpeltenburg/amipx

I did a quick and dirty port of AmiPX to vbcc so I can add serial debug, and here's what we found out. On one of the machines OpenDevice fails in AMIPX_SendTask, which is a bit odd, since both the parent and AMIPX_ListenTask before it can open the device just fine. In the serial log the only message from the device is: (xsurf 5) DevOpen Count=4. I'm wondering if there are any log in the device for the case when it can't be opened for some reason?

BTW, we're using "fool_doom2" too for testing, which is a small program that pretends to be a Doom client on the network.