CA-PSU Not turning on (Definitely related to DB23-Scart)

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I have an Amiga 1200, CA-PSU, ACA1221lc and a DB23-Scart cable.
    The scart cable is connected to a Scart to HDMI adapter. (generic kind).

I have read the threads about the CA-PSU shutting off because of current protection. And it works when I don't have the DB23->Scart->HDMI set up.
    But I don't have any other means of getting a videosignal to display.

My question to anyone reading this. What would be a working solution (for games and workbench)? What cables to get that are known to work with the CA-PSU?
    I have no problems using a Commodore Power Supply. The monitors I use are modern HDMI/DP monitors and the solution would need to be able to support that.

• Those "generic" adapters are often built to be cheap, not to comply with any standard. When CA-PSU detects a ground loop, it will just shut off - for good reason, as GND noise will ultimately cause CMOS circuits to latch up, which causes permanent damage to the chips.

You can attempt to correct the power supply of the HDMI adapter and make sure that everything is properly grounded, maybe even supplied from the same phase by using all the same multi-socket. Another way of reducing ground noise is to reverse low-cost power supplies in the 230V socket, as some of them use a Y-capacitor to "one of the 230V terminals" to get rid of high-frequency noise. If that "one terminal" happens to be phase (not neutral), it will actually couple in noise and make things worse.

If all that fails, I recommend a look at Indivision AGA MK3.

Jens

• "If all that fails, I recommend a look at Indivision AGA MK3."

Thank you for the reply Jens! I don't think I'm even going to try to fail and go for the MK3. From what I recall about flicker fixers before, they couldn't do hires and 'game'res on the same monitor. But my memory from so many years ago is probably failing.
    I had a look at the AGA Mk3 and this should be exactly what I need, without any additional setup like i have now. Expect an order soon :)

• From what I recall about flicker fixers before, they couldn't do hires and 'game'res on the same monitor. But my memory from so many years ago is probably failing.

Your memory still serves you perfectly well: The old flicker fixers had severe limitations in terms of resolution (both number of pixels and number of colours) and output formats. The Indivision AGA series were the first flickerfixers to solve all problems in one go: Make 60Hz or more out of a 50Hz PAL screen, accept SHires input and don't truncate that on the 60+Hz output, and pass on the full 24-bit colours.

You must have been away from the Amiga for over 15 years :-)

Expect an order soon :)

Happy to deliver :-)

• Hey Jens,

Thank you for the quick delivery. The CA-PSU now runs perfectly, as does the 122lc, aga mk3 and the IDE-CF.

And yeah, last time I really checked flicker fixers would be 20 years ago. I just never gave it any thought, or figured I could do it cheaper with some daisy chaining of lower grade stuff ;)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.