ACA1233n CPUOFF

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I have been trying to switch off the ACA1233n CPU so that I can run problematic demos that don’t work correctly with the accelerator. I’ve tried the command line option, but the machine just hangs after the reset. I currently use the romfile option for the 3.1.4 kickstart. I tried adding the romfile option to the command line string, but this doesn’t work either.

I presume that I’m not doing this correctly. How can I disable the CPU and still retain the rom file being loaded which won’t result in with the inability to boot to the CF HD? Thanks!

• We haven't tested this option with any of the new Kickstarts - naturally, because they weren't around when the ACA1233n was developed.

So before jumping to conclusions, please first try it witout the Kick3.1.4 Kickstart mapped. If it works in that case, please turn to Hyperion for support.

• Hi Jens,

When I try to turn off the ACA1233n CPU without noting a romfile, the system still hangs in the same manner. My machine has 3.1 roms. I figured that I was doing something incorrectly.

I am using the CLI within a Workbench 3.1.4 installation though.

It’s not a huge issue as I only want to disable the CPU for one particular Demo that doesn’t function properly with the accelerator.

Thanks!

• With the latest ACATool v3.4 and Kick3.1 I have no issues switching back and forth between 68030 and 68020.

If 3.1.4 is the only difference, we'd have to narrow this down to 3.1.4 or things installed in 3.1.4 (such as mmu.library, perhaps). You could for example try booting without startup-sequence and use acatool cpuoff/cpuon there.

• With the latest ACATool v3.4 and Kick3.1 I have no issues switching back and forth between 68030 and 68020.

Really, with an ACA1233n? AFAIR, it can only switch back to 68030 with a power cycle. The ACA1234 can really switch back&forth between CPUs without power cycle.

Jens

• Now you're confusing me! :-) Ok, I'll have to set up the machine again, I wasn't entirely sure (it has been a while). But yes, I think so, we've had CPUON and CPUOFF even before the ACA1234.

• Hello,

I am using ACAtool v3.4 from CLI. I type the following ‘ACATOOL CPUOFF MM=0’ and then confirm. I used the FORCE switch as well.

I can confirm that the 030 is switched back on by a soft reset. It doesn’t require a power cycle. Thanks!

• Now that I've checked the Wiki and CPLD sources, switching in both directions works on the A1200, but it does not on the ACA500plus: In that config, you can only switch off the 68030, but not back to it.

• I can confirm that the 030 is switched back on by a soft reset. It doesn’t require a power cycle. Thanks!

That should not happen - the CPU should stay as-is on a reset. Only a power cycle will default back to 68030, but once you've chosen a different CPU, it will remain active, also after a reset.

If the MapROM with file option of ACAtool does not work for you, we need to dig deeper. What version of the card is this? Does it have an IDE speeder?

Jens

• I have the 40mhz version of the ACA1233n. The IDE speeder option is greyed out in the ACAtool GUI. It’s disabled and can’t be turned on. I have an Amiga Kit IDE to CF adaptor, which likely isn’t buffered so I never bothered with this option.

I was going to get your properly buffered adaptor but I was hung up on purchasing the ACA1234 and using the ACA1233n in my ACA500Plus. But I know you are working on the 1240/60 so I was going to maybe wait for that.

One thing is for sure though, over time my Commodore Amigas are slowly becoming Individual Computer Amigas. So thank you for all that you and your team do as a hobby to keep the Amiga alive!