Possibility of alternate C64 core with 1581/1571 support but no VGA out?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I was wondering if an alternate C64 core designed only for use with a real C64 could be created with the features people wish for that can't fit? Disabling VGA output and maybe CPU acceleration in an alternate core seems like it could free up enough space for some of these things? I hardly ever use the VGA output when I'm using it is a cartridge with a real C64. There are probably other features that other people want, but the ones I'd like the most are 1581 and 1571 support, and support for simulated disk drive mechanism sounds like the Amiga emulator.

• New / other features are out of the question at this point, sorry. In particular another drive emulation is a HUGE effort, for very little gain (there is almost no software that requires a 1571 or 1581).

• Understood. I was hoping you guys had a partially finished 1581 core or that there was one available. It's really just for convenience since some games are a little easier to find in D81 format, or for collections that come with a number of D81s.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.