CA-PSU Problems, Keeps switching off!

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • For over a year the CA-PSU was working fine but now it seems to go off at random times, but more frequently during CF card writes or when copying files. This resulted in hours of wasted time backing up my CF card and formatting before use. Its very frustrating.

When the power from the power supply goes off, the green LED goes out. It seemed to happen very occasionally to begin with but much more frequent now to the point where I cannot use it in case it corrupts my CF cards again, so I reverted tot the original Amiga PSU that is working reliably. Is it a duff device? Can it be replaced?

• Did you make any changes to your configuration? Perhaps added some kind vga/hdmi adapter? There have been cases where this triggers the protection circuit of the ca-psu

• There is an RGB2HDMI adapter in the Denise socket but it was always there since I built this particular setup. If this is the cause is there a way to prevent it from happening? Thanks.

• We'll have to check the unit here. I doubt that the monitor solution is the cause - it's more likely a contact problem in the DC-DC converter. Please read this article before sending the unit back. Also, if RoyalMail still has trouble, please wait until they resolved it. DPD is not giving us the opportunity to do customs handling by ourselves, but charges big time, otherwise they don't release the parcel.

• Despite my name, I live in Germany :). Before doing anything I will try it on my standard and original A500 that hasn't got HDMI and stress test it, and will update when I get chance to try it.

• Dont know if you use an HDMI switch, but these things tend to give power too over HDMI back to youre amiga through the rgb2hdmi.

The rgb2hdmi it self shouldnt give any issue with de PSU. I use my CA-PSU on all my amiga's including a a500 with rgb2hdmi. But i did get rid of the HDMI switch. It kept powerleds from turning off.

• A proper HDMI design should have measures in place that keep power from floating back into the Amiga. Indivision AGA MK2 and MK3 both have that, and never showed problems like this.

Please do answer if you're using a HDMI switch - that's a very good hint.

• I am not using an HDMI switch, only the rgb2HDMI adapter which uses a Raspberry Pi Zero in addition to some D-type flipflop ICs The adapter goes straight to the monitor from the RPi HDMI. What's strange is that the power was going off at what seemed like random times. I tested the PSU with my original A500 and I did not get any switch off events, so it is fine with that Amiga with HDMI.

Its a shame because I use the new build Amiga the most and will have to not use the original power supply until I get my alternative power supply mounted into a box.

• I am not using an HDMI switch, only the rgb2HDMI adapter which uses a Raspberry Pi Zero in addition to some D-type flipflop ICs The adapter goes straight to the monitor from the RPi HDMI.

How does that design make sure that there's no power flowing back fro the monitor into the computer?

I tested the PSU with my original A500 and I did not get any switch off events, so it is fine with that Amiga with HDMI.

You can't compare these, as the original A500 PSU does not have the level of safety features that the CA-PSU has. Some wrong current path must have been detected - the CA-PSU does not switch off for no reason.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.