Product request: Alternate TC64 docking station that fits inside C64 shell

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • The concept is that it would be a replacement for a C64 board, but it would really just be a TC64 docking station. The TC64 would plug in where cartridges usually do and the first two joystick ports would be where they usually are. Maybe expose the additional joystick ports and MIDI ports in the other openings on the back of the machine, there are various ways to do it. And of course the keyboard would be connected internally. Anyway, just another idea I thought I'd throw out there.

I've thought many times about how to fit a TC64 and docking station in a real C64 case, but there's not a great way to do it without significantly modifying the case.

• The cost of such a product would be significantly higher than what the Docking Station V2 costs today. Not only is the circuit board a good bit larger, it will also need the metal cover over the expansion port, the power switch and a 5V regulator, as the USB power connector of the Chameleon is covered when inserted into a cartridge port (for good reason - there shall only be one power source!).

Further, if you want to install it in a breadbox, you'd need that metal bracket - although this might be in everyone's collection, as

So yes, that's possible, given that whoever orders a suitable quantity does not find any feature-creep-items that need to be added (especially where I'm thinking that the A500 keyboard connector could be removed). So here's the segway to the crucial question: How many units are you going to buy? Can you take stock, maybe together with C64c cases and 12V power supplies?

Jens

• Thanks for entertaining the idea.

What do you think a rough estimate would be for cost? I don't know if it would really save money, but you could potentially split it into two boards connected by a ribbon cable -- have a L-shaped board for the cartridge/joystick/power ports, and a separate board near the user port that exposes MIDI and joystick ports 3+4.

I think it would be fine to remove the Amiga keyboard connector. If somebody wants to use an Amiga keyboard too, it would generally make more sense to just buy another docking station since the original one is quite affordable.

I really only need one of these boards, but I'd be willing to buy 2 or 3 to support the project. I don't run a store, so I can't offer to stock them, but I'd definitely be willing to help promote the project by producing and posting pictures and videos on various forums.

I think that from a marketing perspective, what's notable is that it would make your product more competitive with the Ultimate 64 board because this special docking station with a TC64 accomplishes pretty much the same thing for only a little bit more money. And you also get the ability to do FPGA emulation of a number of other computers like the Amiga, which the Ultimate 64 obviously cannot do.

I think the first thing to do is just see if there's any interest. I have a few other things to do first, but soon I'll make some posts on forums where I know there are TC64 owners just to see what they think of this idea.

Beyond the docking station idea, I've thought the TC64 could benefit from a bit more promotion in general, and I've been planning to put a little effort into that because I'm a big fan of your projects. I've built what I think is a pretty neat Amiga TC64 system with a real Amiga keyboard, and I'm planning to post about it on various forums soon. People on Amiga forums have been wanting something like this, and I don't think they know that the TC64 exists. I'm actually waiting for you to restock the TC64 before I post just in case people want to buy one.

Also I think that if you do get 15khz video support fully implemented, then I will be able to win some people over to the TC64 by posting some demos of it running cores on 15khz CRTs.

• I'm actually waiting for you to restock the TC64 before I post just in case people want to buy one.

It's back in stock already :-)

The 15kHz mode is now on the "nice to have"-list.

An L-shaped board that reaches all the way to the user port is probably cheaper than making two boards and buying connectors, cables and mount them all. What makes a new board expensive is setup cost at the assembly site: Laser stencil, machine setup, machine programming, AOI setup, that's base cost of several thousand EUR per project, and nothing of this is re-usable on any other project. So quantity is really key: If we can only sell 50, the cost will be on the neighborhood of 100,- EUR, and if you can drum up 500 people, we might be able to make that thing for 70,- EUR (all prices not including VAT or shipping).

One thing that I can re-use is the product box of the C64 Reloaded, as that's perfectly suited for that size. However, it also implies that shipping is as expensive as a C64 Reloaded MK2. Further, the outlets of the TV modulator can't be reached without the "daughter board mounted at funny angle" that the two incarnations of the C64 Reloaded have used. This would just be too expensive to mount, and I wouldn't know what to put there anyway :-)

Jens

• Thanks for all the detailed info. It's slightly more than I'd hoped, and needing to sell 500 to drop the price is a little more than I expected, but I'll see what I can do.

Another big advantage that you'd have over the Ultimate 64 is that it's basically never in stock.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.