Why doesn't 640x480 work?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I'm beginning to think my Indivision AGA Mk 3 in my CD32 might be faulty, I'll explain why... trying to set up a simple line double of 240p 60hz or 288p 50hz, I go into "select and edit VGA mode" I choose "Pre 640x480 @ 60hz" and hit "Test/Adjust"... I get a picture for a split second then the monitor says "No Signal".

I am 100% sure my monitor supports 640x480, so why is this not working? I've tried multiple monitors that work just fine with 640x480 from other sources.

• Hi, I've tried 3 devices.

1) Mitsubishi Megaview connected via a HD Fury 3 HDMI to VGA converter

2) Dell Dell UP2516D connected via HDMI

3) OSSC Pro prototype connected by HDMI.

All do the same, flash up an image for a second, then say "no signal".

• Timm has checked this in a different thread and reproduced the issue. However, I'm not sure about a possible fix - he did check that the underlying parameters are correct, but the picture still doesn't show on his monitors. Timm, what's the status on this?

• The status is that I don't get a picture either via HDM* on a cheap FullHD TV style device.

I used our preset modes "640x480 60Hz" and "640x480 73Hz VGA".

Per HDM* I'm not getting a picture.

Per DVI I'm getting a picture.

I made myself another 640x480 mode in 50Hz, with the same result. I also tried with Auto Resolution, with the same result.

Other modes do work per HDM*. So this made me think it might have to do with specifications, but I didn't look them up.

• Hi, I have similar problem.

I have AGA MK3, and I have defined several screenmodes, between them these two:

PAL 640x512 - opened on VGA 1920 x 1080 / 60 - this line first in the list

Multiscan Productivity 640 x 480 - opened on VGA 640 x 480 - this line somewhere in middle of the list

PAL works allways.

Multiscan works when I tested it with ACA tool, but if I save prefs and open it from System preferences, it has always distorted picture, opened also on 1920 x1080 screen.

I know this from manual, part 4. Basic concepts: "The number of lines detected on the screen will be the primary argument for switching modes automatically."

So probably when I want Multiscan with 640 lines, ACA takes 1st resolution with 640 - it is (PAL) screen 1920x1080 and opens there.

Am I right? Works ACA this way?

And if yes, is there some workaround how to have two different screens with 640 lines?

Because Multiscan is good resolution for workbench and system programs, and PAL needed for games.

• Your both issues/posts are almost certainly unrelated to each other.

From the software side, I cannot answer why I get 640x480 on DVI, but not on HDM*, and cannot even tell if this is a bug.

Regarding the second topic,

you get the number of lines for screenmode detection from testing an Amiga mode - when you return from the 'Test/Adjust' screen on the main window.

Example 1: Select the preset mode "Pre 640x480 MultiscanProductivity" in the Indivision Mode list. Here the 'Test Mode' field should read "MULTISCAN:Productivity", and 'Min. Lines' is 525 and 'Max. Lines' is 526. 526 lines (on a "long frame") determine Multiscan Productivity.

Example 2: Make a copy of the current Indivision Mode by pressing 'Copy' on any mode in the main window. For this mode select 'Test Mode' MULTISCAN:Productivity. Click 'Test/Adjust'. When you return from the test screen, the number of lines on the test screen has been recorded and the field 'Tested' now reads: 526. You can now insert 526 (or better 525) to 'Min. Lines' and 526 in 'Max. Lines', and this mode will furtheron react on changing to Multiscan Productivity. (The difference of one line allows to account for the "short" frames in the Interlaced variant of the same mode.)

Of course it's easier to just make a copy of "Pre 640x480 MultiscanProductivity", the second example is just to demonstrate where you get the number of lines for detecting any mode the Amiga may come up with. Finally, after an Amiga screenmode is recognized, you can assign any viable VGA mode to it. And of course it's a good idea to use (for example) Multiscan Productivity on the Workbench and keep PAL reserved for games.

(But it's also possible to use the keyboard to switch between several VGA modes for the same Amiga mode.)

• Your both issues/posts are almost certainly unrelated to each other.

From the software side, I cannot answer why I get 640x480 on DVI, but not on HDM*, and cannot even tell if this is a bug.

Definitely a bug since I can confirm 640x480 working from other HDMI sources same video chain no issue.

• Timm, thanks for advice.

Unfortunatelly screenmode "Pre 640x480 MultiscanProductivity" (60 Hz) on my monitor caused black screen, and if I test modes:

Pre 640x480 73Hz VGA and EDID 640x480 72 Hz, they works, tested OK, but all gives me 507 tested lines, not 526.

I tried set lines to 506-508, 507-508, 506-507 and also 525-526. Everytime Multiscan Productivity opens on screen defined to PAL. I restored factory defaults for this testing, so this time it is not 1920x1080 but 800x600.

BUT, at last, lines 506-526 works fine, Multiscan Productivity opens on 640x480.

So it works, but I am not understand how exactly. In any case, thanks for your guide!

• I'm glad I could convey the basic idea. This is an interesting find, of course I have recorded the number of lines for all screenmodes on my 3.1 development system and put them all into presets, to spare people this work. I have no explanation currently.

• Maybe 3.1 is the cause. I have 3.2 and who knows, maybe monitor settings differs a little?

In any case I will install also 3.1 ( on ACA cfcard ) ant try it.

Also I try reduce a litle max number of lines and let you know.

• You might also want to take into account that the Indivision mode list is traversed from top to bottom when an Amiga screenmode switch takes place. The first Indivision mode that matches the lines and resolution mode criteria will be used. There might now be an overlap between line number ranges in your list. This isn't really a problem in itself, but might be confusing. In that case, you can sort your favourite modes towards the top of the list, and/or disable unwanted modes.

• of course I have recorded the number of lines for all screenmodes on my 3.1 development system and put them all into presets, to spare people this work. I have no explanation currently.

There are differences between the screen modes that came with 3.0 and 3.1, so line numbers may differ. And it may even get worse with 3.2 - if line numbers have been changed sufficiently, there may be enough overlap for certain modes to never trigger in the list. So we'll have to work "from the ground up" and compare version numbers of the screen modes you're using vs. the screen mode version numbers on Timm's system, so we can say "this version uses this number of lines" - with enough luck, we can make a number-of-lines-window that will work with all versions.

Jens

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.