A1200 AGA Mk2 unexpected issues

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Jens,

I have been running an Indivision AGA Mk 2 with my 1200 for about 8 years now, love it, and it has always been rock solid, never had any issues getting a video signal from it to any monitor using a DVI (the Indivision) to HDMI (the monitor) cable.

The other day, this changed. WB booted as normal, clear video signal, however as soon as I ran a game in WHDLoad, the video signal was lost. Audio continued fine in the background. The video reappeared briefly in game then was lost again. This random, reappearance of video signal then losing it again after 2-20 seconds appears to have become the new normal. This has never happened before.

After much testing with different monitors, reseating, cleaning the indivision etc. the "new normal" persists. The machine boots into workbench fine, video signal through the indivision is fine, workbench programs run fine. The problem always kicks in once I start a game through WHDLoad, the signal is lost and may possibly be picked up again for a short period of time but this appears random. Audio for the game carries on. Once I exit the game using the WHDLoad keystroke (F10 or PrtSc etc.), the video signal issue persists even back in the WB screen.

I'm confused as I have not had any issues before and have not changed anything in my set up. My questions are:- does this new behaviour sound like something that I can work through and fix with a bit of guidance? And if not, does it sound like my indivision is dying on me?

Many thanks!

• I'd take a close look at Lisa and maybe reflow it. Frequent removal/re-attachment of Indivision might cause micro-cracks on the pins, so re-soldering the 84 pins of Lisa might fix it. Just add some flux, heat up each pin for 1-2 seconds and give it a good clean afterwards with IPA and an old toothbrush. Make sure to only heat the bottom part of the pin, so the side part where the socket makes contact won't get additional solder.

• Hi Jens,

Wanted to give an update on this.

I ran the A1200 RGB output through an OSSC, Lisa was solid. After a lot of fiddling around, I managed to get the Indivision AGA Mk2 Configuration tool installed. As an aside, I’ve never used the configuration tool before, I’d always just used the Indivision as I received it out of the box from Amigakit years ago.

The config tool recognised the Indivision was present so I decided to attach a monitor via the OSSC and one via the Indivision and play around with the preferences in the config tool. The config tool reflashed some cores (or something?), now the Indivision is back to its old self which I’m very happy about!

Comparing the OSSC and Indivision video outputs side by side is very telling. The OSSC is a fantastic tool in context, but in terms of its looks vs the Indivision on my A1200, Indivision wins hands down: you’ve done a great job.

• Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for the direct comparison. We do see that many customers turn to Indivision for "the ultimate" solution to monitor connection - so much that we had to limit sales in December, as we've seen buying activity with customers repeatedly ordering a number of units, probably attempting to buy out available stock only to flip them on eBay or other platforms.

The sales limit has stopped this activity and kept the product available at the recommended price.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.